Chocolate Coconut Cream Cupcakes.
Currently: wondering how I can spend my Thursday face down in a cupcake.
I’d probably pay you to make these cupcakes for me today.
Yes. That is correct. I’d pay YOU to make my recipe. The sleep deprivation is causing me to loooooose my marbles.
Sidenote: they are already lost.
Say hello to the second best combo in the universe: chocolate and coconut. Only second to chocolate and peanut butter, but could I BE more of a broken record?
I don’t know, sometimes I think toast and cheese are a close second too. Maybe let’s pretend we’re just talking about sweets. No savory allowed right now. So in that case, it’s always these flavors.
These babies are downright DREAMY.
They are so super fluffy. That’s a thing. The chocolate cake isn’t hurt-your-teeth sweet and it’s made with coconut milk. Light and airy. It’s just… GOOD.
Forgive me. That’s the only thing I can tell you about it. Good good good.
There are mini chocolate chunks inside too! Of course. Always. Cannot do without.
In a complete cop-out moment or a complete brilliant moment – I’m not sure which yet – I topped them with some simple coconut whipped cream.
You know this. I live for it.
With chocolate mousse.
On angel food cake.
Dolloped on sweet potato pancakes.
Plopped on watermelon granitas. (please come summer nowwww.)
Oh oh and on lemon cupcakes too! I guess I’ve kinda done this before.
Real life: half the time I make the coconut whipped cream because it’s so pretty and instagrammable in gorgeous dollops and on top of the whisk. And now I’ve used “dollop” twice in the last few paragraphs.
But really, how many whipped cream whisks do you see on your insta feed? I vote 435.
To be frank, we totally downed these cupcakes in, like, a day. No no. Wait. More like a few hours. I mean, a bunch of us did, not just Eddie and I. Though we probably could have done that?
I’m up for the challenge.
Chocolate Coconut Cream Cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup oil
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 cup full-fat canned coconut milk
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
coconut whipped cream
- toasted coconut flakes
- mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cupcake tin with liners.
- In a bowl, stir together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, soda and salt.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer, beat the sugar and egg until slightly fluffy and combined. Add in the oil and melted butter, beating until combined. Add in the extracts and beat on medium speed, scraping down the sides if needed. Add in half of the dry ingredients while beating on low speed. Add in the coconut milk, continuing to beat on low speed then add in the dry ingredients. Beat until a smooth, silky batter forms then stir in the chocolate chips with a spatula.
- Use a 1/4 cup measure to evenly fill the liners 3/4 of the way full. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until the tops are set. Let the cupcakes cool completely, the frost with the coconut whipped cream and top with the chocolate chips and coconut.
coconut whipped cream
- Take the cans of coconut milk out of the fridge. Open the cans and discard the liquid (save it for a smoothie!), then scoop the firm coconut meat into the bowl of your electric mixer. Beat on medium-high speed until completely whipped and thick. Beat in the sugar and extract. Set the bowl in the fridge until ready to use.
SO FLUFFY I’m GONNA DIE.