Chocolate Poundcake with Bacon Bourbon Frosting.
Hmmmm. I apologize for doing this to you.
Because as I see this cake right now? On my screen? I want it immediately. It immediately needs to be in.my.face.
Sometimes I go on complete and utter bacon tangents in life and I’m currently in one. It feels SO good to just love food again – all food – so, so much. I think the last six recipes I’ve made contain bacon, Monday’s had bacon, today’s has bacon, next week – well, I’ll see what I can do for you vegetarians and stuff.
The good news is that if you don’t like bacon, want to eat this today but are observing lent, or just can’t get bacon + dessert in your brain, then you can maybe kinda sorta leave the bacon out. I mean who doesn’t want a chocolate cake with bourbon frosting?
The bad news is that… you might take the bacon out.
Truth: Eddie is making better bacon than me these days. And he’s making better eggs because he’s frying them in the grease after he makes the bacon.
I’m on a rollll. And very annoying. I’ll stop.
This cake: it is pure love. The dark chocolate cake itself is to die for. Decadent but not overly sweet. Soft and fluffy and tender and moist. (No I can’t use any other word.) So seriously chocolate that you just can’t resist.
While that is totally fabulous – and also totally something that can stand on it’s own – the frosting is what seals the darn deal. First, it’s CREAM CHEESE FROSTING. Ahhhhh. The most delectable of all the frostings. What I wouldn’t give to just swan dive into a bowl of that frosting and… nevermind.
The not-so-secretive secret is that it’s also whipped with bourbon and the crunchiest bacon in all the land. It’s like chocolate pound cake with bacon bourbon cheesecake icing?
Let’s go swim in this bacon icing river. Row row row your bacon.
Chocolate Poundcake with Bacon Bourbon Frosting
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Dutch process cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 2 3/4 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
bourbon bacon frosting
- 8 slices bacon, fried and crumbled
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Grease two 9×5 loaf pans with butter and sprinkle them with cocoa powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, soda and salt. In the bowl of your electric mixer (fitted with the paddle), add the butter and beat until creamy and smooth. Add in the sugar and beat on medium speed until fluffy, scraping down the sides when needed, about 3 to 4 minutes. Beat in the eggs one at a time, mixing for a minute or so and scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl after each. Beat in the vanilla extract.
- Add 1/2 of the dry ingredients and mix on low speed. Add the buttermilk and mix until combined. Add the remaining dry ingredients and beat on low, gradually increasing the speed to medium, beating until the batter is smooth, about 1 to 2 minutes. Divide the batter evenly between the two loaf pans. Bake for 65 to 75 minutes, or until cake is set in the middle. Let cool completely.
bourbon bacon frosting
- Add the butter and cream cheese to the bowl of your electric mixer and beat on medium speed until creamy and blended. With the mixer on low speed, gradually add the powdered sugar. Add in the bourbon and vanilla extract, then beat the frosting on medium to high speed until creamy, scraping down the sides when needed. Stir in half of the bacon with a spatula. Frost the cakes once cooled, then sprinkle the remaining bacon on top!
it’s my best cake friend.