Dark Chocolate Cherry Chai Smoothie.
Flavor bomb explosion, right here in your face.
If you follow me on instagram or snapchat, you may have noticed that I’m kind of into smoothies right now, which is huge since it’s still cold out. I like smoothies and shakes and stuff in the summer, but in the winter I want none of it. They tend to be the absolute worst.
Hello, would you like to hold this icy beverage and drink it down and freeze your insides while it’s 7 degrees outside?
I think not.
But. I’ve been super inspired by Eddie, who has been drinking green smoothies in the morning now for MONTHS. I can’t exactly remember how long at this point, but he is still making one every single day. It’s awesome. And I really love that I can make one for Max and myself, add it to his cup and watch him suck it down. It’s too cute, like I can barely stand it.
Eddie would never go for a smoothie like this – he much more prefers fruit, spinach (never kale! ever.) milk, juice or coconut water and tons of ice. I like mine to occasionally be weird and often taste decadent, even if they are not. I need as much variety as I can get because the boredom monster strikes me daily. Um but this coffee coconut smoothie I shared on instagram earlier this week? I’ve made it every.single.darn.day. Oooomph. It’s the best.
You’ve most definitely heard me ramble on since last September about how much of chai fan I am NOT. Until I made those cookies. Which led to these cupcakes. Which led to even ordering chai lattes and stuff and well, that really blew the top off. Now I’m just chai-ing all things with reckless abandon.
It’s freaking fabulous.
AND. I’m loving that this one is packed with protein, but doesn’t use protein powder. I waaaay overdid it with that in the early 2000s and it mostly all makes me cringe. At the same time, I’ve learned how much fuel I need to feel good while chasing Max all day, and let’s just say it’s a LOT. Gotta eat good to feel good.
For this one, I always start with a version of chai spice mixture (usually minus the black pepper, because I’m a child) and go from there. In this case, I added half to the smoothie and a sprinkle on top. Just don’t inhale!
Uh, also? These metallic gold paper straws I found at Michaels a few weeks ago are everything. The universe knows that drinking out of paper straws is complete misery and usually just an instagram trick, unless you’re downing your beverage in 31 seconds. But I can’t stop drinking out of these because they make my days feel fun. Just means I inhale smoothies.
Dark Chocolate Cherry Chai Protein Smoothie.
- 2 cups frozen pitted dark cherries
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt, I like 2% the best
- 1/2 cup milk, I’m currently obsessed with cashew milk
- 1/2 cup ice
- 3 tablespoons hemp hearts
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened dutch process cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- half of the chai spice mixture below
- pinch of salt
- for topping: hemp heart sprinkles, frozen cherries, chocolate curls
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until pureed. Taste and if desired, add more chai spice! If you want your smoothie sweeter, you can add a pitted date or two. I find that the frozen cherries I buy (from Trader Joes) are pretty sweet and get the job done.
- Top the smoothie with extra hemp heart sprinkles, another cherrie or two, a few shakes of the chai spice and if desired, chocolate curls!
Cherry peekaboo is adorable.