Puff Pastry Pop Tarts with Goat Cheese and Cherry Peach Chutney.
[This post is brought to you by Pernod – I’m working with them to create a few recipes this summer with their delicious liqueur! Stay tuned for more deliciousness and thank you so much for reading! xoxo]
I bring you… savory, cheesy and fruity poptarts for cocktail hour!
Let’s make them a thing.
I mean, how cute are these puffy, flakey squares of love? Adorable, yes. Filled with tangy, creamy goat cheese? Double yes. Filled with a spiked (hello, the best part) homemade cherry peach chutney? Triple yes.
If you’re a sweet-meets-savory fanatic like I am, these bites are right up your alley.
This summer I’m working with Pernod to create a few recipes using their unique liqueur. I love the anise flavor – it’s one of those flavors that is full of nostalgia for me. I’m instantly reminded of the holidays and flooded with memories of delicious food and dessert. It tastes like HOME.
In what could possibly be considered one of the easiest “fancy-looking” snacks, all you have to do is layer your goat cheese and chutney inside the pastry and pinch it together with a fork. The chutney will take a few minutes to thicken – you’re cooking the cherries and peaches with Pernod over heat – and while that is happening your puff pastry can thaw. It’s super simple!
I wanted to create something sweet with Pernod but incorporate it into a savory appetizer that could be enjoyed with an assorted snack plate – something like my favorite cheeseboard or some pickled vegetables. When I think of anise, it’s almost always in *sweets* form. I absolutely can’t get over the cherry peach combo right now and knew it had to happen. I wanted to make my own jam-like spread that I could fill the puff pastry with, but also use fruits that would taste fabulous with my favorite cheese ever, tangy goat cheese.
Plus, ridiculously flakey and light puff pastry goes well with everything!
Um, remember back in the day I made a nutella (!!!) s’mores version of these? They are SUCH a hit. Now I just don’t know which I love more! Cheese… or chocolate. Not a fair question at all.
Goat Cheese and Cherry Peach Chutney Puff Pastry Poptarts
- 2 sheets puff pastry, thawed
- 1 cup bing cherries, pitted and halved
- 2 peaches, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup Pernod
- 1 (6 ounce) log COLD goat cheese
- 1 egg + 1 teaspoon water
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Place the puff pastry sheets on the counter to thaw. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a saucepan, combine the cherries, peaches and cornstarch. Stir to mix. Add the Pernod and heat the mixture over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. Cook the peaches and berries until they break down, soften and the mixture starts to thicken, about 6 to 8 minutes. If at any moment the mixture becomes TOO thick, you can always add a teaspoon of water to thin it out.
- Once the chutney has thickened, set it aside to cool slightly.
- Slice the goat cheese into 9 equal slices. Place them on the puff pastry like you would in a tic tac toe board. Spoon 1 to 2 tablespoons of the Pernod cherry peach chutney on top of each goat cheese piece. Cover the entire thing with the other sheet of puff pastry. Use a large knife or pizza cutter to cut the pastry into 9 squares, just around the edges. Use a fork to press the edges together.
- Brush the tops with the beaten egg wash. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Let cool slightly before serving. Serve with the leftover chutney!
And – hello – that color!