Kombucha Cider Smash.
We’re finally doing it!
Taking some super good-for-you kombucha and combining it with… tequila.
Let that song be stuck in your head now for the rest of the week. At least it’s Thursday?
Sooo. I freaking love kombucha. Love love love. Been drinking it for years. For most of my life I’ve only ever been a plain water drinker – carbonation has always burned my throat and well, you know me and my recent history of coffee love. When I discovered kombucha, I loved that it was something else I could enjoy! My long-standing favorite is the GT synergy and especially their gingerade flavor. So good.
Most recently, like in the last six months, I’ve fallen in love with Kevita’s Master Kombucha because it has some fantastic flavors.
AND. One other very important reason. It’s caffeinated. Like makes-me-feel-incredible caffeinated. The boost feels “cleaner” than coffee does (if that even makes sense? Sometimes coffee in the afternoon makes me feel queasy and gives me a headache.) and if I’m really dragging around 3 or 4PM, I’ll have half a bottle and be good to go.
(Can’t wait until I’m a complete nightmare and so addicted to caffeine that I can’t function… ugh. Who is predicting the bullet point in Tuesday Things begging for caffeine addiction tips?!)
I also haven’t made my own yet, but I might be getting to that point. Over the last few years I’ve thought “no way!” and the idea terrified me, but some of you have sent me awesome ideas and recipes so I might just trust the invisible internet friends.
Anyhoo. That’s neither here nor there.
But wait! It wouldn’t be a Thursday in the fall of 2016 if I wasn’t sharing an apple cocktail recipe. Right?!
SORRY. I just can’t help it. Apple is my pumpkin. Hate on if you wish.
First thing I did? Used some cinnamon apples and mashed them with a touch of honey and gold tequila. Oh my gosh. If someone wanted to spoon feed this mixture to me let’s just say that I wouldn’t kick them out of bed.
Then! Fill up your glass with some apple cider. Because clearly I cannot stop using this lovely autumn elixir and may as well just start making my own.
Then! Top it off with a bunch of ginger kombucha. I find that ginger is imperative here because it meshes SO well with the apples, cider and tequila itself. It’s lovely and warming and spicy.
Also, should I try and drink about four of these today to try and rid myself of the 2016 severe cold from hell? Perhaps I should.
Ooooh ooh oh, and. I covered a teeny portion of my glass with honey and then rolled it in coarse sugar and cinnamon. I love the crunch! I’m weird with my drinks. Be weird with your drinks too. Try it!
Kombucha Cider Smash
- 1 apple, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons apple cider
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon apples
- 2 ounces gold tequila
- 2 ounces apple cider
- 4 ounces ginger kombucha
- coarse sugar + cinnamon for the rim, if desired
- Place the apples, cinnamon and cider in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring often, until the apples and soft and tender and almost falling apart. Remove and let cool. Store in the fridge if you make these before.
- If desired, you can rub a little honey on the rim of a glass and dip it in cinnamon sugar. I did this for only 1/4 of the rim!
- Add the apples into the glass and pour the tequila over top. Smash and mix the apples with the tequila until they are almost pureed. You can do this with a fork or back of a spoon. Add crushed ice to the glass. Add the cider and stir well. Top it off with the kombucha. Gently stir before serving.
Does this mean it’s a health drink?