Clementine Vodka Sodas.
I’m super curious about how much more citrus I can get away with.
A little more! Please let me. I’ll repay you in cold drinks with crushed ice and proooobbbaly pizza.
Last year, I made these clementine cream sodas and we loved them SO much. They are such a fun way to do a fruity soda and I actually love it more than actual soda because carbonation is not my friend. And then when you go and add ice cream? Oh my oh my.
Creamy, clementine-y, delicious.
So! I knew I wanted to do something more grown up for our thirsty Thursday drink. One of the cocktails I’ve been thinking of lately is this cucumber vodka soda because it’s SO refreshing. Since the new year began, our weather has been so blah. It’s cold but just super gloomy – with barely any snow – and it still gets dark so early that there have been a few days where I’m really in a funk.
To say we are going stir crazy would be an understatement.
Cucumber drinks make me think of spa days and pool cocktails (like the perfect pimm’s cup) and I was like, you know what the heck we need? A huuuge dose of vitamin C.
That has to be the best medicine for everything.
First up, make your own clementine juice! This can be tricky since clementines aren’t necessarily built for juicing. You know? We’re talking segments ready to pop in your mouth and eat. I found that the easiest way to do this was to use a citrus squeezer juicer thing. Yeah, that one. (My descriptions are fantastic, I know.) You could also use a juicer, but mine takes approximately 23 hours to clean and I’d rather sit on the couch and hope that I can will the universe to make this drink magically appear in my hand than clean the juicer. Finally, you could also use your blender and strain the juice through a fine mesh sieve, removing any pulp and seeds. I like that idea too!
Second, combine that clementine juice with lime juice. Sounds so good, right?!
Third, combine both of those juices with ice cold vodka and some simple syrup for sweetness. Because I want all of my drinks to be sweetened as if I’m still seven years old. #notappropriate
AND the last step to enter beverage utopia is to combine this with some club soda and give yourself two straws. Hellllo weekend.
- 1 1/2 cups fresh clementine juice
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 cup vodka
- 1/4 cup simple syrup
- 1 to 2 cups cold seltzer water lime is great!
- crushed ice for serving
- lime fresh mint and clementine segments for garnish
- In a large pitcher, combine the clementine juice, lime juice, vodka and simply syrup. Stir well then refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Before serving, pour in the cold seltzer water, starting with 1 cup. Taste and if desired, add in more simple syrup and seltzer. Pour the mixture over crushed ice and garnish with mint, lime wedges and clementine segments!
- [To make the simple syrup, combine equal parts sugar and water (like 1 cup each) in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk until the sugar dissolves, bring it to a simmer, turn off the heat and cool the syrup to room temp. Store in the fridge.)
Now that we’ve had our juice for the day.