Strawberry Ginger Smash.
So here we go! The beginning of strawberry spam.
It’s a zingy little strawberry treat for our thirsty Thursday. Wahoo.
I’ve been prepping some great early spring (that scream ‘come to me summer!’) cocktails along with some fun easter brunch cocktails that I can’t wait to share with you guys. It’s the best day of the week!
Strawberries have been my favorite fruit for as long as I can remember. Really, all fruits are my cup of tea. I’ve said it a million times but it’s like all my produce love got used up on fruits and there just wasn’t enough left for any vegetables. Strawberries have always been TOPS though. My go-to.
ALSO. I’m still in this major ginger mood. Really, it’s because I’m desperately trying to clean out our fridge and freezer before our kitchen remodel begins on Monday and in doing so? I found FIVE knobs of ginger.
Why is my life such a mess?
These right here are bourbon soaked sugary strawberries. Gingery bourbon soaked sugary strawberries. It took everything in my power to not eat them with a spoon. Would it be wrong to throw these on top of a yogurt parfait? I think not.
What about pancakes?!
What about angle food cake!
Ugh, guys. I just LOVE a fruity bourbon smash cocktail. I really love bourbon, so that’s probably why, but smashing the fruit with some delicious things like fresh mint, bitters and bourbon is just so… satisfying. It also sweetens things up enough that a lot of times I don’t even need a simple syrup. In this case, we use a touch of sugar so we really don’t need any syrup. Oooooh I can just taste summer.
We top the whole thing off with some ginger ale or ginger beer – depending on how spicy you want it. Fever Tree is my favorite brand of ginger beer and it’s the perfect balance between sweet soda and spicy bite.
This drinks feels super summery and that is just the way I like it.
- 1/4 cup smashed strawberries recipe below
- 2 to 3 shakes of angostura bitters
- 2 ounces bourbon
- 3 ounces ginger ale or ginger beer
- fresh mint for garnish
- smashed strawberries
- 1 pint strawberries chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 3 tablespoons bourbon
- Add the strawberries to the bottom of a chilled glass and mash a bit with the bitters. Add ice on top of the berries. Pour the bourbon over the ice and top it off with ginger ale (for a milder drink) or ginger beer (for a spicier drink). Garnish with fresh mint and serve!
- Place the strawberries in a bowl and toss them with the sugar, fresh mint and fresh ginger. Let sit at room temperature for 10 minutes. Add the bourbon and smash the strawberries with a fork or potato masher. Let sit for another 10 minutes before using. These strawberries can be used for 4 to 6 drinks. Keep them sealed in the fridge for a few days!
Those bubbles on top! Oooooooh.