Salted Peanut Butter Ice Cream Bars.
Salted peanut butter ice cream bars. HOMEMADE. You heard that right. These are currently the best thing to come out of my kitchen. I can not lie.
Now how to make them appear in my freezer every single week for the next few months…
The flavor? Well, if you’ve ever had Jeni’s salted peanut butter ice cream with chocolate flecks, then you know it’s seriously insane. It is so amazing – like I could eat a pint at a time and I’m not even a major ice cream person. It’s the salt… and the peanut butter…. And the chocolate flecks.
Like the perfect storm.
So since I first had a pint in my freezer, I’ve been dying to make something similar with that flavor.
Also! I’ve had my eye on these homemade ice cream bars since last summer from bon appetit. I never got around to making them and then it was, well… winter. Hence saving them for this summer. I married the two ideas and HERE WE GO.
Most importantly! Don’t waste amazing ice cream like Jeni’s by putting it in these bars. Buy a plain old vanilla ice cream that you really like, but one that’s just that – PLAIN. We’re going to make a sugary, salted peanut butter ripple to fold into the softed ice cream.
The freeze it in a giant pan. Cut it into bars.
Dip it in chocolate melted with coconut oil.
Cover that whole thing with sea salt and peanuts.
Eat them and nearly diiiiieee because they are so insanely good.
I have seriously had to stop myself from grabbing one for breakfast. Horrifying.
ALSO. More important news to note. When I was a kid, my mom would occasionally (like, once a summer) buy the snickers ice cream bars as a treat for us. They were my absolute favorite. And while these are missing the caramel, one bite totally took me back to that flavor and feel. Soooo close!
Here is how good these are: when I am pregnant, I rarely have a sweet tooth. Sweets don’t appeal to me much and I don’t really crave anything sweet. BUT THESE.
They have been the first thing in five-ish months that I’ve had to manage my own self control on. They are divine. And while they do take a little bit of work and an overnight to freeze, they really are quite simple and they last as long as you can handle in your freezer!
Meaning… as long as you don’t eat them. Good luck.
Salted Peanut Butter Ice Cream Bars
- 3 cups milk chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup roasted salted peanuts, chopped
- Line a 8×8 baking dish with plastic wrap, letting some hang over the sides.
- Place the cream, peanut butter, sugar and salt in a blender. Blend until smooth and almost pourable. If it’s still really thick, blend in a tablespoon or two of water until it can be poured.
- Place the ice cream in a large bowl. Break it apart and stir until it’s super thick and creamy, sort of like cake batter. Pour in the peanut butter mixture and swirl it – don’t fully mix it! Just swirl. Transfer the mixture to the baking dish and spread it in an even layer. Cover with plastic wrap. Freeze overnight.
- The next day, lift the ice cream square out of the dish and place it on a cutting board. Quickly cut the square into bars or squares and place them on a parchment lined baking sheet. Freezer for 2 hours, until solid.
- Make the chocolate topping and chop the peanuts. Remove the bars from the freezer and quickly dip them in the chocolate and cover with the peanuts. Place each back on the baking sheet. Freeze for another hour before serving.
- Melt the chocolate chips in a double boiler or microwave (I do 30 seconds on medium power until melted, stirring often). Once melted, stir in the coconut oil until it melts.
Please make these. Do it for me.