Salted Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies.
I’ve been keeping secrets and holding these salted chocolate chip cookies back from you.
These salted dark chocolate chunk cookies have been our family’s favorite for months now. I made them TWICE during Eddie’s birthday week and he keeps requesting them even though he “doesn’t like salted chocolate chip cookies.” YOU KNOW.
So, of course for his birthday I had to make the cookies that he “doesn’t like” multiple times during the week. Only because he asked.
It’s okay. He has now given in to the salt + cookie monster and realized the true potential of this fantastic, classic combination.
A little sprinkle of salt, err…. okay, maybe a salt shower, on these cookies right before baking turns them into the most delicious savory and sweet combo. They are chewy but some edges are crunchy and they are my absolute dream cookie at the moment, which is saying a lot since I’m not very into sweets right now.
The dough is awesome too!
Want to hear another secret? I’m not a huge cookie dough lover. Like I don’t enjoy (or ever order) cookie dough ice cream nor do I buy cookie dough just to eat the dough. At the moment my worst nightmare is the cookie dough shops that serve those huge scoops of cookie dough in a cone or cupcake because it looks like SO MUCH rich, raw dough.
I know it’s not technically RAW, like with eggs and stuff, but I don’t want to eat that much dough! Have you eaten at one of these places? Do you love it? Am I 100% crazy and totally missing out?
I’ll take some gelato instead, thanks.
After I had Max, we got into this terrible yet wonderful habit of keeping tons of cookie dough in the freezer. We would have a cookie every single night and it was the best thing ever. I will surely have these lactation cookies on hand too but I also like to have regular chocolate chips. SO, next week, I’m going to make two batches of these and freeze the scoops, minus the salt. I’ll salt shower them right before baking!
Not really planning on making any freezer meals, but freezer cookies? Heck yes.
Now this makes a pretty freaking good weekend plan, right?
Watch exactly how I make these salted chocolate chip cookies!
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1 cup loosely packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 8 ounces dark chocolate chopped – I like big and small pieces
- coarse sea salt for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line a baking sheet or two with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer, beat the butter and sugars until combined and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Beat in the egg and egg yolk until just combined. Beat in the vanilla extract. With the mixer on low speed, beat in the dry ingredients until just combined. Beat in the chopped chocolate.
- Use an ice cream scoop or a spoon, scoop or drop 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons of dough on to the baking sheet, leaving about 2 inches between. Sprinkle each dough ball with coarse salt.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until set in the center and slightly golden. Let cool completely – these are amazingly chewy once cooled!
I’m thinking peanut butter ones come next.