Tequila Christmas Sunrise with Homemade Grenadine.
Cheers to Christmas morning!
A few weeks ago I alluded to a slightly stronger morning beverage that could be super celebratory for the holidays and well, here is our tequila sunrise for Christmas morning! Look at those lovely layers. So cold and delish.
Weirdly enough, I’m a huge tequila fan. I love it, most likely due to my love for margaritas and palomas. So this is right up my alley. Mimosas are delicious but I may be changing my morning tune now to a teeny shot of tequila.
There’s a first time for everything!
Last month I asked in my Tuesday Things what you guys did for breakfast on Christmas morning. We’ve never had a big breakfast because we have a HUGE amazing meal super late on Christmas Eve and then another incredible one on Christmas Day. So breakfast would usually be the orange cinnamon rolls from a can. And Christmas cookies, of course.
Soooooo many cookies.
That was when I was a kid though, and ever since Eddie and I have been married, we haven’t done anything specific for breakfast because we also now have to eat TWO Christmas Day dinners. Oooomph. Half the time I don’t even eat breakfast because I have to mentally prepare myself for a massive meal around noon and another one around six.
But! This year, I want to make it super special for Max, so I think I will get up early and make up some quick cinnamon rolls (or prep them on Christmas eve morning) and probably do the mimosa thing. The mimosas for us… not for Max. You know.
I’m going to save these sunrises for the day after Christmas or even New Years Day, when we don’t have to run around all day!
Because LOOK AT THEM! Ahhhh.
Also… homemade grenadine! When I was making this drink, I wondered if homemade grenadine was even a possibility and it was. Better yet, this is made with pomegranate juice. That makes me so happy because not only do I love it, but it’s also in season! So we’re seasonally drinking those festive jewels.
It can be made ahead of time and any extra can be stored in the fridge. Completely obsessed with this syrup for sure now.
And can we talk about how crazy I am over the color of these beauties? So super fun and festive. No reason these can’t be on your table come the 25th!
- 1/2 cup pomegranate juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 4 to 5 ounces orange juice
- 2 ounces tequila
- 2 to 3 tablespoons grenadine
- luxardo cherries for garnish splurge!
- rosemary for garnish
- Place the pomegranate juice and sugar in a saucepan and heat over medium heat. Whisk until the sugar dissolves, then bring to a simmer and let it bubble for 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in the lemon juice and let sit until it cools to room temperature and is syrupy. This stores great in a the fridge for a few weeks.
- Fill a glass with crushed ice. Shake the orange juice and tequila together in a cocktail shaker with ice for 30 seconds. Pour over the crushed ice. Drizzle in the grenadine. Top with a few cherries and a sprig of rosemary to be festive!
Party in a glass, for sure.