Asian Style Sloppy Joes.
Best dinner ever, right here!
We can actually feel really good about these sloppy joes! I promise.
We weirdly LOVE sloppy joes in our house. I never grew up eating them. We maybe had them once or twice when I was a kid… and I’m pretty sure it was at someone else’s house. I knew Eddie liked them though. So a few years ago I started making them from scratch, not really expecting to care for them myself. But I wanted to make them for him!
Oh heck. I freaking love them. We legitimately fight over the leftovers. Homemade sloppy joes are unreal. With bread and butter pickles (which my pickle-loving self has only recently been turned on to) on buttery buns? I’m dead.
Let’s eat them forever.
And delicious they were.
Lauren’s book, Modern Comfort Cooking, is just stunning. It’s filled with so many insanely awesome flavor combinations and the most fabulous photography that I can’t stop flipping through it. There are so many other recipes I am dying to make!
Unlike traditional sloppy joes that use ground beef (or I like to use a mix of ground beef and ground turkey), these ones start out with ground pork or ground chicken! Love that. They also use fire roasted tomatoes which I always have on hand. Even though tomato sauce things are not my favorite, I’m 100% obsessed with fire roasted tomatoes. They add such a wonderful smoky flavor to a dish.
All of those tomatoes go into the pan! No wonder these are delish.
The rest of the ingredients include a touch of soy sauce, some hoisin sauce and even a little lime. UNREAL.
I used the brioche buns like Lauren suggested and those are always a treat. Seriously buttery! To take the flavor combo over the top, I even sprinkled some furikake on top of mine before warming them. Excellent idea, let me tell you.
We really like napa cabbage slaw on our sloppy joes to begin with, so I knew that would be a win. I tossed some sliced green onions into the mix. And I even went with the raw broccoli slaw on top for more crunch, because is there anything better in this world than texture?!
Also, this is the only way you will ever find me eating raw broccoli. Truth.
Everything about these is just perfect. The flavor, the texture, the garnish, the delivery on brioche buns! And they are SO easy to make. Not to mention – it’s a super quick dish too! You can easily get this on the table in 30 minutes and that always makes me happy.
Really want to live inside this bun.
Asian Style Sloppy Joes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 sweet onion diced
- 2 tablespoons chili garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground pork or chicken
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 14-ounce can drained fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 4 brioche buns
- broccoli slaw for garnish
- shredded napa cabbage for garnish
- Heat a large skillet over medium-low heat and add the butter. Add in the onion, garlic paste, ginger, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the ground pork or chicken, breaking it apart with a wooden spoon. Brown the meat, stirring often, for about 6 minutes. Stir in the hoisin sauce, soy sauce, tomatoes and lime juice. Bring the mixture to a boil then reduce it to a simmer and cook until the mixture thickens, about 20 minutes.
- Serve the sloppy joes on the brioche buns, topped with both the broccoli slaw and napa cabbage.
Don’t you just want the biggest bite?!