Tree Trimming Punch.
Because today is the DAY that we drink Christmas punch! Tree trimming is in full effect.
Since we skipped out usual thirsty Thursday post yesterday, I just couldn’t wait until next week to share this with you! Because it’s the ultimate tree trimming weekend, right? Christmas punch to the rescue and you can find me by the fire, decorating the tree!
I go back and forth. Some years I am ready for Christmas super early. Others I wait until Thanksgiving. This year I have been ready since, like, October! We ended up talking about this at dinner last night – and most of us have been ready for Christmas EARLY this year.
But since I was hosting yesterday, I didn’t want to rip down all the pumpkin décor yet. It just didn’t feel right!
Today, however… is another story. It is Christmas in full force over here. I am a decorating fiend. Christmas punch is on the menu.
Along with TONS of leftovers.
When I saw that bon appetit had a punch dedicated solely to decorating the tree? I knew I had to make my own.
The base of this punch is lambrusco. It’s almost a little bubbly and it’s RICH. I’m having a weird moment with red wine. It’s crazy, because I haven’t been into reds for years now. The past month or so though? I’ve really been enjoying them – so I wanted to go with that.
I used the base of my autumn syrup. Some orange juice. Pomegranate soda. Grand marnier since I’m obsessed.
I also made some fun festive ice cubes. They are purely for appearances, and since I added rosemary, I removed the rosemary as soon as the ice started to melt. I didn’t want it to flavor the punch too much, you know? But do what you like!
This is spiced, boozy, delicious and exactly what you need to string those lights up today.
How to make Christmas Punch
- 1 orange thinly
- 1/2 cup autumn syrup recipe below
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup Grand Marnier or other orange liqueur
- 1 cup sparkling pomegranate soda
- 1 750mL bottle lambrusco, chilled
- 1 cup club soda
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 2 star anise
- 2 cardamom pods
- a few slices of orange rind
- Note: if you want to make festive ice cubes, add some cranberries, pomegranate and rosemary to an ice cube tray and fill it with hot water. Freeze overnight!
- Add the ice cubes and orange slices to the bottom of a punch bowl. Stir together the syrup, orange juice, grand marnier, pom soda, lambrusco and club soda. Serve immediately! Enjoy.
- Combine all ingredients together in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Whisk constantly until the sugar dissolves and let simmer for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool completely. You can store this in the fridge for a few days – I keep the spices and rind in the syrup for flavor, but remove right before using.
I’m ready for the sparkle.