The Delish Healthy Snack Mix You Should Prep This Weekend!
Hello hello, I have the best healthy snack mix right here for us all!
Seriously, you are going to want to run out and grab the ingredients for this insanely savory, sweet, crunchy mix that can solve all of those cravings mid-day every Monday through Friday.
Like actual snacks that we can make ahead of time and use for the week ahead. Not necessarily snacks like hummus or dip that can be tricky to make and take on the go.
Lacy has been getting a healthy snack mix with these ingredients at a local place for the last few months. She has told me over and over how GOOD it is because of the mish mash of flavors. It has everything we would want: sweet, savory, crunchy, all of it.
It was our mission to recreate it!
There is SO much good stuff in here. Let’s start with the dry ingredients. Two kinds of nuts – almonds and pecans. But use whatever you’d like!
Banana chips and flaked coconut – the big, delicious flakes that are crunchy and don’t make your teeth squeak.
Pepitas too, along with hemp hearts and chia seeds. We also give the mix a big sprinkle of nutritional yeast once it’s coated in the syrup mixture.
The wet ingredients? Those include maple syrup, coconut oil, some liquid aminos or low-sodium soy sauce and then a bunch of spices: cumin, smoked paprika, chili powder, black pepper.
Such an array of flavors that just WORK. It really works with the sweetness of the banana chips and syrup. It’s another flavor explosion.
This snack mix is super crunchy. I love that because crunch is what I crave at snack time. Or really, when any craving hits, I almost always want something crunchy.
And I KNOW that people say to substitute celery (omg) and carrots for crunch, but no can do. That just isn’t the crunch I’m going for!
I love making this on the weekends and portioning it out to have for snacks during the week. It is so good to have on the go. It’s also really satisfying because of the nuts, coconut oil and flaked coconut. The chia and hemp hearts help too! There are all different sorts of textures here and that just pleases my brain.
It’s a crunch that I feel good about eating!
- 1 cup banana chips
- 1 cup unsweetened, flaked coconut
- ¾ cup whole almonds
- ½ cup pecans
- 1/3 cup pepitas
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 to 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 tablespoon liquid/coconut aminos or low-sodium soy sauce/tamari
- ½ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ cup hemp hearts
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray it with nonstick spray.
- On the sheet, combine the banana chips, coconut, almonds and pecans.
- In a saucepan, warm the maple syrup, coconut oil, aminos/soy sauce, pepper, chili powder, paprika, cinnamon and cumin until the oil is melted. Pour the mixture over the mix on the baking sheet and toss well.
- Sprinkle on the hemp hearts and chia seeds and toss once more. After lots of testing, I find that sprinkling them on after adding the wet ingredients helps them to stick and not clump on the sheet.
- Finally, sprinkle the mixture with nutritional yeast. Toss lightly once more if needed.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then toss and bake for 15 minutes more, until the mix is golden. Remove it from the oven and toss, then let it cool completely. Break it apart and portion out into bags. If desired, you can add a dried fruit, like cherries or cranberries, in with the mix.
Maaaaybe add a few dark chocolate chunks too.