Roasted Broccoli Toast with Red Pepper and Lemon.
Bet you never thought I’d be telling you to make roasted broccoli toast.
Seriously, go back to 2012 and just imagine that I’m trying to get you to put broccoli ON YOUR TOAST. Who am I?
I don’t even know.
But I like it.
It should come as no surprise that my new favorite way to get some veggies in is on TOAST.
I mean, I guess it isn’t very NEW because I’ve been putting things on toast for years. But toast like this? I love to eat it for breakfast or lunch to make sure I get some veggies. It is SO much more enjoyable for me than eating a side salad or a side of veggies in another form.
Put them on top of seedy, crunchy, toasty bread and I’m sold.
This recipe was born out of my love for parmesan roasted broccoli. I adore that recipe so much. I make it at least twice or sometimes even thrice a week – I mix the leftovers with salads, put them in tortillas, toss them with chickpea pasta or… put them on toast. It’s my current obsession.
As for the spread?
Choose something cheesy! I use ricotta most of the time, but you can also whip up cottage cheese so it’s smooth. I don’t care for cottage cheese in it’s normal, curd-y state, but if I whip it in the food processor, I like it. It works great as a spread on toast when you want a slightly healthier, higher in protein option.
The flavor kick for this toast is lots of lemon: freshly grated zest AND lemon spritzes. A sprinkle of crushed red pepper adds the best bite, and that’s huge for me because I’m not all about the spicy food like many others are. Here though, it gives the roasted broccoli more depth of flavor.
If you’re thinking that this is similar to my roasted brussels sprouts toast, it is! My top three vegetables (and how insane is this?) are Brussel sprouts, kale and broccoli. You won’t ever find me dipping a raw carrot in hummus, but give me all the brussels, broccoli and kale and I’ll consume them every single day. How did I go from loathing veggies to liking the ones that most people shun?
Either way, I’ll take it!
Roasted Broccoli Toast
Roasted Broccoli Toast
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- olive oil or avocado oil spray
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- pinch of garlic powder
- ½ whole lemon, zest freshly grated and cut into wedges
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 to 4 slices sourdough bread, toasted
- ½ to 2/3 cup ricotta cheese, or cottage cheese!
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Preheat the oven 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with nonstick spray.
- Place the broccoli on the sheet and spray with the olive oil (or your favorite oil for spritzing). Sprinkle with the salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Roast for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the broccoli is golden brown.
- While the broccoli is roasting, whisk together the olive oil and lemon zest in a bowl. Toast your bread.
- Place the ricotta cheese in a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy and whipped.
- To assemble the toast, spread the ricotta cheese on top (as much as you’d like!). Top generously with the roasted broccoli. Drizzle on the lemon zest olive oil. Sprinkle with some crushed red pepper flakes. Serve with the lemon wedges for spritzing.
- Serve immediately!
That’s a lunch to feel good about.