Shaved Parmesan Asparagus with Soft Boiled Eggs and Crunchy Brown Butter Breadcrumbs.
This is one seriously delicious shaved asparagus salad.
Look at those eggs! And the crisp green ribbons! Makes me want to eat spring in a bowl. This is like a sunshine hug.
I know that this isn’t a pantry meal at the moment (unless you’ve got some breadcrumbs, ha!) but I made it before everything hit the fan and it’s too good not to share. If you’re still able to get produce (I am as of right now), grab some asparagus. It’s coming into season and wonderful right now.
P.S. You can always also use frozen asparagus here too! It might not “shave” as pretty, but you can always just chop it up!
My oh my I’ve come a long way from the last time I made a shaved asparagus salad! That’s quite crazy if I do say so myself.
It also seems like a lifetime ago.
So let’s do this thing! Make a perfect shaved asparagus bowl that you’ll want for lunch AND dinner.
First step? Shave the asparagus and toss it in a bowl. I find that depending on the thickness of the spears, I end up having a mix of shaved asparagus and chopped ends. Whatever works! Just chop them finely since we’re not going to cook this.
Then! Then make a parmesan vinaigrette and toss the asparagus well. It will sort of marinate and get super delicious. Not to mention that the parm vinaigrette is practically drinkable. It’s freaking good.
We also have soft boiled eggs! If you’re not into those, use hard boiled. Or just throw a fried egg on top. Again, make it your own!
I’m very much into exclamation points today. I’m craving exclamation points.
I love the soft boiled eggs because the buttery yolk also runs into the asparagus and turns into a silky dressing-like blanket. Gosh, eggs are just my favorite food of all time.
Okay but that’s not even the best part!! It’s not. Just wait.
We’re going to do my garlic brown butter breadcrumbs and get them super crunchy… then sprinkle them all over the top of the salad.
OH MY WORD.
The flavor. The texture! It’s all so good. Satisfying, delicious, crunchy, creamy and green. Because I desperately need some brightness right now.
Shaved Asparagus Salad
Shaved Parmesan Asparagus Salad
- 4 large eggs
- 1 pound asparagus, woody stems removed
- 2 tablespoons diced shallot
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice or white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons finely grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup shaved parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced or pressed
- 1/3 cup seasoned panko bread crumbs
- To make the eggs: Heat about 3 inches of water in a small saucepan over medium heat until boiling. Once boiling, reduce the heat until it’s barely at a simmer. Add the eggs gently and cook for 6 minutes. Remove the eggs with a slotted spoon and place in an ice bath. Let cool completely before peeling.
- To shave the asparagus spears, take a vegetable peeler and run it along the sides of the asparagus. I shave off as much as I can and leave the tops whole, adding it all to a large bowl.
- In another bowl or measuring glass, whisk together the shallot, lemon juice, honey, garlic, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Stream in the olive oil while whisking. Whisk in the finely grated parm.
- Pour a few tablespoons (enough to coat!) of the dressing over the shaved asparagus. Toss well and add more dressing as needed. Toss in the shaved parmesan.
- Top the asparagus with the sliced soft boiled eggs and the breadcrumbs. Add more dressing if desired!
- Add the butter to a small saucepan over medium heat and whisk constantly while it bubbles. The minute brown bits begin to form on the bottom of the pan, add in minced garlic and breadcrumbs. Stir constantly, cooking for a few minutes until the breadcrumbs are golden and crunchy.
Did you make this recipe?
Be sure to follow @howsweeteats on instagram and tag #howsweeteats. You can also post a photo of your recipe to our facebook page.
I appreciate you so much!
Everything I want right now. Can this salad be my social interaction?
13 Comments on “Shaved Parmesan Asparagus with Soft Boiled Eggs and Crunchy Brown Butter Breadcrumbs.”
This looks absolutely beautiful, delicious, irresistible and something so creative from you.
I’m sorry, I’m just looking for comfort food at this time, the eggs look just perfect with some toast and a cuppa tea.
Pingback: Shaved Asparagus Salad - Shaved Parmesan Asparagus with Eggs - Cravings Happen
any tips on soft boiled eggs ? i feel like when i got to peel them i often puncture and they run everywhere and its a huge mess :(
great dish, wow, this is much more exciting than my typical leafy boring salads and have never seen shaved asparagus before, nice touch in a salad since they’re otherwise too thick usually
Is there a recipe for the brown butter breadcrumbs? Perhaps there is a broken link? Thanks!
Ahhh nevermind! Saw in the last step!
Pingback: Shaved Asparagus Salad - Shaved Parmesan Asparagus with Eggs - TheDirtyGyro
Pingback: Shaved Asparagus Salad – Shaved Parmesan Asparagus with Eggs – recipequicks
Amazing!!! Spring is here folks! Try this with the Smoked salmon puff pastry dish. I promise people- it’s impressive for brunch or Easter or anytime!
Pingback: Hard Boiled Egg Vinaigrette – Goat Cheese Asparagus Tartines – Cravings Happen
This recipe was very good but shaving asparagus was very time consuming. I would definitely recommend you get thick asparagus or plan to spend a long time shaving asparagus like I did.
I cannot wait to try this!!! My mouth is watering!!!
I never peel eggs anymore, just cut them in half & use a spoon to gently scoop the egg out..use the shells for your garden…Bonita