Moose Juice.

A few weeks ago I came home to find this in our kitchen.

IMG_0718

Do you think we have enough pineapple?

IMG_0719

I didn’t, so I opened the window near the spot where my husband was working in the yard and called out,

‘Hey baby! I gotta go to the store and get some pineapple!’  I’m funny.

Yummy, golden, ripe.

I think my husband bought out the entire store.

He did have a plan.

He spent a looooong time chopping it up.

And piled it all in this very large mason jar.

IMG_0721

He also bought an overabundance of berries and kiwi. IMG_0733

I think this one is so pretty. I wanted to keep it as a centerpiece.

I’m a sucker for bright colors. Add glitter, and I’m in love.

I thought this would make such a yummy addition to our lunches!

IMG_0734

Ok – maybe not.

There is a liquid in that jar.

Yes, we would have had 2 huge mason jars of fruit soaked in vodka.

IMG_0723

He soaked these babies for 2 weeks, hoping that the fruit would infuse the vodka so that it would no longer taste like lighter fluid.

We drank the vodka over ice, and it was pretty good.  The fruit absorbed so much of the liquid that there really wasn’t more than about 4 glasses in there.

Once the liquid was mostly gone, we decided to make smoothies.

IMG_0843

HEALTHY smoothies, of course. We did use Crystal Light. IMG_0844

It looks pretty yummy, but it was chock-full of seeds and pineapple bark. I would have needed to add 1 cup of sugar to this in order for me to drink it. The guys felt differently – and finished off the entire jar.

Towards the end of the night, my lips were on FIRE, and I only had a few sips. The acid in the pineapple really did a number on my mouth. I had ulcers popping up everywhere and couldn’t use enough Chapstick.

That sounds oh-so attractive.

Now you know why I do the cooking in the house. :)

16 Responses to “Moose Juice.”

carascravings — September 26, 2009 @ 10:22 am

At least you had good intentions!

I love pineapple to death and always eat waayyy too much of it when it is served…and always end up with a weird, sort of “cat tongue” feeling and a scratchy throat.

It’s a bitter sweet relationship:)

eatingmachine — September 26, 2009 @ 10:31 am

oh man. vodka smoothies. haven’t had that since college.

VeggieGirl — September 26, 2009 @ 10:42 am

Looks refreshing!

Dawn (HealthySDLiving) — September 26, 2009 @ 11:01 am

Yummy! Vodka fruit smoothie sounds delish!

donna — September 26, 2009 @ 11:55 am

This post just gave me a flashback to my younger…er stupid…days! I went to a party in Germany and they gave me this glass that was chock full of fruit with very little juice, which was a sparkling wine I think. They called it bowla. I ate the fruit and it was delicious. What I did not know was the fruit had been fermented in Conac. They have this huge pot called a Rumtoff. As fruit comes into season they put it in this pot and cover it with conac and keep layering it until the pot is full…then pull it out to make bowla. One cup and I was HAPPY!

Lindsay — September 26, 2009 @ 12:01 pm

Those jars are really pretty! I love pineapple. I’ve eaten so much of it that I’ve ended up with sores like that. Not fun at all!

Abby (Abby's Vegan Eats) — September 26, 2009 @ 1:53 pm

Certainly looks like a good drink for a nice, hot day!!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — September 26, 2009 @ 2:12 pm

yumm!!! that looks so good, great idea with the vodka in there :)

enjoy it!!

bluestocking — September 26, 2009 @ 3:44 pm

Yummy pineapple! I never had fresh until I was an adult, so I always thought I hated it. Never realized I just didn’t like the canned stuff. Boy do I love pineapple now!

The Healthy Apple — September 26, 2009 @ 8:04 pm

O MY YUM; what a great post and the pineapple looks amazing. Thanks for your comment on my guest post! Great blog!
    Have a good weekend and enjoy the delish drinky!!!
    Amie

jocelyneatsfresh — September 26, 2009 @ 10:30 pm

yum love all the pretty fruits together

Lynn (The Actors Diet) — September 27, 2009 @ 2:35 am

wow that’s a lot of pineapple!!! must’ve taken a long time to chop.

Kristen @ Simply Savor — September 27, 2009 @ 11:51 am

haha that is very creative!! i hate cutting up pineapples so i always buy them prechopped ;) have a wonderful day :)

Lele — September 27, 2009 @ 1:37 pm

Hahahaha, vodka experiments. Always fun.

The fruit layers do look really beautiful. I totally would’ve used them as a centerpiece!

foodieinthecity — September 27, 2009 @ 2:54 pm

What a creative idea to use up fruit before it goes to waste. I never have heard or thought of vodka smoothies, but they sound dangerously good!

Have a good Sunday!

traveleatlove — September 27, 2009 @ 2:58 pm

Mmm I love cocktails made with pineapple vodka!