Roasted Garlic.

We have an abundance of garlic at home and I barely scraped the surface by roasting some yesterday.

If you’ve never had it, it comes out so carmelized and sweet – it is absolutely delicious. I made a good amount so there are a few roasted garlic recipes to come this week.

Cut off the top half – a little less than 1/4 of the garlic head.

I wanted to take off most of the ‘paper’ around the garlic and just leave a light layer.

By rubbing back and forth it came off very easily, as opposed to trying to peel it all away.

However, I was left with this mess.

It was totally worth it. :)

Beautiful garlic. Is there anyone out there who doesn’t like it? I only know a few.

But I’d like to meet more, so I can make you this roasted garlic and change your mind.

I prefer to not get chunks of garlic in my meals, so I like to mince it or use the press.

Using a couple tablepoons of olive oil,  I pour a teaspoon or so on each garlic head and let it soak.

I roasted the garlic in the oven for about 45 minutes. It smelled heavenly!

When it is finished, it looks like this:

You can squeeze the carmelized cloves right out of the garlic head. They can be eaten alone, spread on toasted french bread, or spread on filet.

Is your mouth watering?

I know it may sound weird to eat garlic cloves straight, and believe me I was a bit skeptical. But you’ve gotta try it!

It is sweet and delicious.

Here is some roasted garlic mash that I promptly devoured after snapping it’s glamour shot.

Roasted Garlic

6 heads of garlic

2-3 tablespoons olive oil

Preheat oven to 375. Chop off the top portion of the garlic head to reveal cloves. Lightly rub back and forth to remove paper and peel any excess paper off. Pour about a teaspoon of olive oil on top the garlic cloves and let soak for 10 minutes.

Cover with foil and roast in a baking dish for 45 minutes, or until golden brown. To eat or add to recipe: let cool, then squeeze from the bottom of the garlic head to remove carmelized cloves.

73 Responses to “Roasted Garlic.”

peanutbutterfingers — September 28, 2009 @ 10:26 am

omg!!! this looks unreal… i wanna try it w/ my pasta tonight for dinner. love the pics. thanks jessica! :)

Lindsay — September 28, 2009 @ 10:41 am

Yum! I love spreading roasted garlic on toasted bread. Heaven!

Barbara — September 28, 2009 @ 10:49 am

I know- I love roasted garlic. On everything!

VeggieGirl — September 28, 2009 @ 11:04 am

I could live off of roasted garlic and be totally content – this post has VeggieGirl written allllll over it :-D

Jackie at PhamFatale.com — September 28, 2009 @ 11:34 am

love, absolutely love roasted garlic. Just need a little bread, it’s soooo good

elizabeth4elizabeth — September 28, 2009 @ 11:50 am

this looks sooo delicious! i’m going to try this tonight to use up my own abundance of garlic! thanks!!

ps – does anyone know how long this stuff will keep? i have a lot of garlic . . .

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — September 28, 2009 @ 12:15 pm

omg can we talk about roasted garlics?? I cant eat those like candy! the good thing is that when they are roasted the garlicky flavor goes away!! I LOVE GARLIC

great post!!

That Kind of Girl — September 28, 2009 @ 2:23 pm

mmmm, that looks so good! I always roast garlic like that to spread on french bread when I’m having guests over (and usually roast an extra head or two or six to eat on my own in my pjs over the course of the next day…)

I’m so making this tonight!

Lizzy — September 28, 2009 @ 7:56 pm

OMG i love garlic, and how could i forget about roasting it! Putting it on a warm piece of bread after. OMG to DIE for! yummmmmmmmmmm :)

NerdyJess — September 29, 2009 @ 10:11 am

MMMMM love doing this. One of my fave ”treats”! My hubs wasn’t a huge garlic fan til we met, now he’s seen the light.

Kelly — October 2, 2009 @ 2:12 pm

i’ve never had roasted garlic, it looks yummy! i am obsessed with my garlic zoom…get it at bed, bath and beyond. it’s a little wheel type contraption, you put the clove inside and roll it back and forth on your counter top. it probably works the same as the press, but it’s a lot more fun! haha

Doniree — January 13, 2011 @ 9:29 pm

Looks amazing, but I have a question! Does this store at all? If I make a bunch of garlic and want to save it to last for the course of the week, will it keep?

• Jessica — January 13th, 2011 @ 9:31 pm

Yes! I do that all the time. I keep it in the fridge. It can be used hot or cold.

• Doniree — January 13th, 2011 @ 9:39 pm

Thanks! I love roasted garlic spreads for bread, etc. I can’t wait to try this – thank you!

Jill — September 2, 2011 @ 8:23 am

Mmmm roasted garlic. Last week, I went to a restaurant called The Stinking Rose in San Francisco. Every menu item has garlic in it. I had their Bagna Calda and decided I’m going to try to recreate it at home this weekend. I’m definitely going to use your tips for roasting garlic!

Pam — December 25, 2011 @ 5:47 pm

My husband and I were served this is a nice French restaurant inside Disney World. We couldn’t believe how delicious it was! Never knew it was that simple to make!

Teddi — January 19, 2012 @ 2:38 am

Thanks for the recipe. I have been wanting to try roasting them–thanks to you now I can!
    I see loads of yummy garlic bread in the very near future……..

Sandi — February 1, 2012 @ 7:56 pm

I luv these too. It still has the garlic flavour but not as strong for those that are not fond of it (I luv the taste & small of raw garlic). This really does have a heavenly aroma while it’s roasting!
    Roasted, it takes on a buttery & nutty taste, that’s why it’s important to roast it until the tops are medium brown! ;-)

Juice312 — February 15, 2012 @ 1:19 pm

Try whipping it into mashed potatoes with a bit of parsley… amazing!

Alicia Lomas — October 8, 2012 @ 4:36 pm

Roasted garlic is one of my favorite things! So easy, you just need 45 minutes.

denise — November 19, 2015 @ 10:15 pm

I absolutely love this idea! I do the same but I just roast it on a griddle with no oil and they come out amazing a little burnt but still good…I will have to try it this way. My mouth just watered!!

Jessica — September 28, 2009 @ 11:57 am

I have used it for a couple days after I make it…just warm it so it becomes easy to squeeze out of the garlic head.

1. Pingback: Smoky Sweet Potato Burger With Roasted Garlic Cream and Avocado | The Elm