Blog Bootcamp.

Good Morning!! How is everybody’s Wednesday so far?

Thanks to everyone who is following me on Twitter! If you haven’t started following yet, please join in while I tweet my life away. I still don’t know how to tweet from my crackberry. Oh well, this is probably a good thing.

When I came home last night I found this in my bedroom.

IMG_1379

A glass with the remnants of a green monster from 6:30 yesterday morning. As I tweeted last night, it looked and smelled like swampland. It was almost as great as the half-full green blender still sitting on the counter.

And then we have this.

IMG_1378

The remnants of the Oreo Dessert. Beware…this is what happens when your husband is out of town, it is garbage night, and this must be throw away before you gain 15 more lbs. And if you can’t make out that picture, it would be the dessert FLIPPED UPSIDE DOWN so the crust could be eaten. By who? I have no idea.

In order to make myself feel better for devouring the dessert Since they were such a hit last week, I figured I’d post a few more workouts that I’ve done in the past. These 2 are from when I ran a women’s outdoor bootcamp last summer. Both of these are very fun (and more motivating) with a partner. Try it at your own risk.

Both workouts require that you be warmed up before beginning. I usually had my clients do a dynamic warm-up. Make sure you take a light couple-minute jog, stretch a bit, or warm-up on a cardio machine if you have one at home or at the gym.

Why-on-earth-did-I-get-out-of-bed-for-this Bootcamp

12 Stations – each station is performed for 1 minute. Use either dumbbells or resistance bands.

After 3 stations are finished, perform the following cardio interval before moving to the next 3 stations:

40 jumping jacks

Step ups

Side lateral raises

Bicep curls

Wall sit

Bent over row

Plank hold

Take a 5-10 minute walk to cool down.

I-can’t-walk-up-the-steps-or-sit-on-the-toilet-properly Bootcamp

w/ an Upper Body Focus

Perform 2 sets:

25 push-ups

15 seated high-grip rows

15 resistance band chest presses

15 resistance band biceps curls

cardio: 15 jumping jacks, 15 split jump lunges, 60 second high knees, 15 split jump lunges, 15 jumping jacks

Perform 2 sets:

24 (12 each) staggered-arm push-ups

15 reverse grip lat pulldowns

15 resistance band chest flyes

cardio: 15 squat jumps, 10 side shuffles (each way), 60 seconds jumping jacks, 10 side shuffles, 15 squat jumps

Perform 2 sets:

25 close-grip pushups (thumbs touching)

15 rear delt flyes

15 triceps dips

15 resistance band biceps curls

cardio: 20 plie squats, 10 bear crawls forward, 10 burpees, 10 bear crawls back, 20 plie squats

Again, make sure you cool down afterwards. Pay attention to your body and if at anytime you feel sick, light-headed, etc, STOP. What good is a workout going to be if you aren’t alive? Pay close attention to how you feel.

Alot of these workouts tend to have the same exercises in them. I did that for a couple reasons.

1. Most workouts I ever gave my clients were ones that could be done at home with minimal equipment. I am not a fan of using machines and prefer to use dumbbells, bands and bodyweight.

2. I believe that alot of these exercises give you more bang for your buck (can we say…lunges and squats?). You would never find me in the gym training a client doing some kinda of goofy exercise, or a minimal exercise (say, single arm triceps kickbacks) during a session. Clients come to get a kick-butt workout, and that is what I gave ‘em!

And please remember, all of my client’s were under strict supervision while performing these workouts. Form was ALWAYS corrected.

Again, I still believe that each person should find what works for them. As I’ve told some of you who have asked me for workouts, I do not believe in only ONE way of training. I believe there are many different successful ways of doing it. On days I would train 15-20 clients, I may have 15 different workouts. Some are lifting heavy, some are doing functional training, and some are doing rehab. My goal was to be able to successfully train anyone – strong or weak, overweight or struggling with an ED, football players and elderly…you get the picture. I believe a great trainer can adapt to train anyone.

I’ll be back later with a recipe for rolls.

And NO, not the kind of rolls above my jeans.

28 Responses to “Blog Bootcamp.”

MelissaNibbles — October 14, 2009 @ 8:58 am

I love at home workouts. I copied these down and am going to try the I-can’t-walk-up-the-steps-or-sit-on-the-toilet-properly Bootcamp tomorrow! Thanks!

Abby — October 14, 2009 @ 8:58 am

OMG, intense workout! I give you credit.. I bet its really rewarding, though!!PS.. LOVE your soup recipe the other day.. see you’re getting those veggies!

I think I am the only person alive that totally doesn’t know how to twitter.. I dont get it. I feel like my grandma.

Have a good one! :)

Melanie — October 14, 2009 @ 9:08 am

Congrats on doing the Bootcamp. I WOULD NEVER do it because I am just a whimp. I am laughing about the rolls above your jeans:) I am on Twitter but just don’t quite get it. I Facebook and that is kinda the same thing, right?

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — October 14, 2009 @ 9:43 am

looks awesome jess! THis is how I train my clients and run my muscle sculpt classes as well. I never would do a silly 1 arm kick back, but maybe I would do a kick back in a low squat position so they are working their legs and arms at the same time. I am all about more bang for your buck when it comes to weight training. I love using the body rather than the silly machines as well. I think that triceps dips are the 1 exercise I hate so much that I do it all the time because it is so damn good! I put my feet up on a bosu ball and perform 12 dips, they kill my arms, but I love it!

your bootcamp looks awesome!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — October 14, 2009 @ 9:56 am

Thanks for the workouts! I really like that they are workouts we can do at home… which is good when you have a 5 month old :)

Thanks for following me on twitter :)

Enjoy the rest of your day!

Meg @ Be fit Be Full — October 14, 2009 @ 10:09 am

Keep the workouts comin’! I love it! Especially the titles of them :)

Spotty Prep — October 14, 2009 @ 10:11 am

I left a green monster cup in my car once :( Not pleasant! I’ll eventually get on twitter….

stephchows — October 14, 2009 @ 10:56 am

lol I need to write this down! this would be perfect for when I’m traveling or when the snow is so deep I don’t want to drive to the gym LOL!

eatingmachine — October 14, 2009 @ 10:56 am

ugh, that green sludge loves to stick to the dishes too. (thats, um, why i make my fiance do them. whoops)

The Foodie Diaries — October 14, 2009 @ 11:32 am

haha I like your workout names. I need you to move to NYC and be my trainer!

Tina — October 14, 2009 @ 11:36 am

Those are great workouts!!! Love bootcamp style stuff with bodyweight.

Elizabeth — October 14, 2009 @ 11:38 am

go to twitterberry.com from your crackberry browser. and then you can tweet your heart out on the go
    i love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but i wish it had a better way to see the timeline of other people’s tweets………

love the blog bootcamp!

Alisa - Frugal Foodie — October 14, 2009 @ 12:37 pm

I would so be all over that Oreo crust too!

That looks like the workouts I have been doing … and I would give them similar names :)

Julie @savvyeats — October 14, 2009 @ 12:52 pm

I can’t wait to get home on Sunday to start with some of these workouts and the others you recommended!

The Candid RD — October 14, 2009 @ 12:54 pm

Ok so you like vegetables in soup AND Green monsters….you could definitely get 4 servings a day that way! Heck, you you could two servings in one green monster!

I lie you philosphy about training ANYONE. Good for you. I agree that if you are good at what you do you should be able to train anyone, same with me as an RD.

One time my friend said, “I have more rolls than a bakery!” I laughed for hours.

runningaroundnormal — October 14, 2009 @ 1:04 pm

That oreo dessert looks amazing!

Great workouts. Those sound like a lot of fun:)

brandi — October 14, 2009 @ 1:35 pm

can’t wait for the roll recipe! that oreo dessert looks killer.

Shannon @ bakeandbloom.com — October 14, 2009 @ 7:49 pm

ok….wait, you hate caraway seeds?! but they’re so..yummy! I love onion & caraway bread.

Nice looking bread rolls though :)

thetwentyfifthyear — October 15, 2009 @ 10:58 am

I’m glad to see I’m not the only crazy in this town who drinks Green Monsters! When I use a clear cup and take it in the car, I get some pretty weird stares on the Parkway!

Menden (Skinny Menny) — October 15, 2009 @ 9:42 pm

Love the workouts!!! I’m totally going to be trying these :)

20.1
    Jessica — October 14, 2009 @ 9:09 am

Don’t worry, I have no idea what I am doing on Twitter either!

20.1
    Jessica — October 14, 2009 @ 10:12 am

Oh gross! I have also left blender-made protein shakes in my car before on a HOT day. That is not pleasant either.

20.1
    Jessica — October 14, 2009 @ 11:39 am

OMGOSH THANK YOU SO MUCH!

1. Pingback: Home Alone. « How Sweet It Is

2. Pingback: Godiva White Chocolate Cheesecake with Fresh Whipped Cream. | How Sweet It Is

3. Pingback: Study Day! | Savvy Eats