Hearty Veggie Soup.
Update! I just hopped on the Twitter bandwagon. I can’t believe I did it. I feel like I’m 84 yrs old and devoid of any technological knowledge because I don’t know how to use it. However, if you’d like to find out what I’m doing (and baking) every, single minute of every, single day, you can follow me here. :)
In order to get in more veggies, I threw this veggie soup together. I actually made it last week, but I loved it and was able to eat veggies everyday. Score!
It hasn’t worked out so well this week since the rest of the soup is frozen. I may need to dig it out of the freezer tonight.
When I made this I was craving soup, wasn’t really feeling like meat, and wanted a thick and hearty meal.
I grabbed a bunch of veggies from my fridge and chopped ’em up.
Yes, I do have SOME veggies in my fridge, contrary to popular belief. I used 1 potato just to give the soup some starch.
Near the end I added 2 frozen bags of corn and peas.
But first, here are all the chopped veggies in the pot.
I dumped in an entire can of petite diced tomatoes.
And a few small cans of V8.
I guess V8 was made for people who had a difficult time getting their veggies in. Well, what about us veggie-haters that have time to get their veggies in? Why not make V8 to taste like chocolate milk? Or better yet – rum. Yes. That is what I need. Vegetable Rum.
For some bulk and a bit of protein I added in some beans.
We have lentils.
And cannellini beans.
My husband even loved this soup. Surprising, since it didn’t have any meat in it. He did need to incorporate an entire leg of lamb a few slices of chicken to the meal, so it felt like a man’s meal. Along with a few manly grunts.
And other gross, manly sounds. I’ll spare you the details.
Along with the V8, I added an entire carton of organic vegetable stock and about 5 cups of water.
I also added about 1/2 cup of whole wheat orzo.
I love orzo. I have another great recipe to post soon for orzo.
I let it simmer for about 2 hours, and it became nice and thick.
It almost seemed like there was meat in the dish. It runs a close second to Mother Lovett’s ham and bean soup that is truly AH MAY ZING.
Don’t you just love eating soup when you know EXACTLY what goes into it? No sodium bloat afterwards, no artificial tastes. Delish.
Hearty Veggie Soup
- 1/2 sweet onion, chopped
- 2 leeks, chopped
- 1/4 head red cabbage, chopped
- 15 baby carrots, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 potato, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large can petite diced tomatoes
- 3 (5 ounce) cans V8 Juice
- 1 (20 ounce) carton organic vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 cups lentils
- 1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 -1 cup whole wheat orzo pasta
- 1 bag frozen peas
- 1 bag frozen corn
- 5-6 cups water
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika, my love!!
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- salt & pepper to taste
- Add olive oil to large soup pot on medium heat. Add chopped veggies and a pinch of salt, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes. Add can of diced tomatoes and stir. Add organic vegetable stock and V8 juice and let simmer for 5 minutes. Add in lentils, cannellini beans and 2 cups water. Stir. Add in orzo, frozen peas and corn. Add in rest of water, smoked paprika, and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 2 hours.
- Easy peasy!
Isn’t this just screaming ‘make me! make me!?’