Update your readers! http://feeds.feedburner.com/howsweeteats/smSp

Who doesn’t love a slice of toasted french bread with olive oil, garlic, cheese and tomatoes?

Ok, I mean besides that size 2 skirt hanging in your closet.

There are so many variations of bruschetta, and this one can be made in under 30 minutes.

I chop the tomatoes coarsely, and the garlic finely.

IMG_2296

IMG_2298

I use French bread. I think it is best to use day-old bread. Regardless, it is going to get toasty!

IMG_2299

(and if you don’t use it all, you can dip the rest in olive oil mixed with spices and parmesan cheese. but shhh. I didn’t tell you that.)

IMG_2300

Make sure to slice it into nice, even, thick slices.

And brush with a bit of olive oil for toasting purposes. And flavor purposes.

IMG_2302

And eating purposes. And buying-new-pants purposes.

Sorry.

I mix the tomatoes and garlic together, spoon a bit on the bread, and add a touch of cheese.

IMG_2304

I bake it like this, and when it comes out of the oven, I add a bit more fresh tomato and garlic on top.

Sometimes, I also broil this, but unless you can watch the oven like a hawk, I do not suggest it. It is too easy to ruin the entire batch of bruschetta because it caught on fire under the broiler while you were rushing to dry your hair, make 6 new appetizers since the dog ate them straight off the table, and keep your kids from beating each other with Wii controls.

Oh wait, that isn’t you?

It isn’t me either.

But I have a feeling someday it will be.

The bruschetta is warm, toasty, and cheesy, and adding the cold tomato and garlic gives it a really nice bite.

IMG_2320

IMG_2321

Bruschetta

1 loaf of french bread, cut into 1-inch slices

1/2 cup olive oil

3 roma tomatoes, chopped

4 garlic cloves, chopped

1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

parmesan cheese

salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400.

Mix chopped tomatoes and garlic in a bowl.

Arrange bread slices on a large baking sheet. Brush each slice with olive oil. Top with a spoonful of the tomato and garlic mixture. Add a sprinkling of mozzarella cheese on top.

Bake at 400 for 10-15 minutes, or until bread has toasted. Watch carefully!

Once removed from oven, top each slice with a bit more tomato-garlic mix, some sea salt, and a sprinkling of parmesan cheese.

Serve.

IMG_2322

This is a simple, traditional appetizer that most people will enjoy. If you have guests that do not like chunks of garlic, you can just sprinkle a bit of garlic powder on the bread. Easy peasy!

IMG_2323

I’m so glad you guys are enjoying the appetizer segment. There are lots more to come. :)

25 Responses to “Holiday Appetizers 101: Traditional Bruschetta.”

Ameena — November 28, 2009 @ 11:34 pm

The bruschetta looks delicious…I can’t wait to try this yummy recipe.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — November 29, 2009 @ 12:36 am

I adore bruschetta. I just can’t eat it. Well, I could. I would just swell up, have an all kinds of nasty allergic reactions and it wouldnt be worth it. But I can dream. And you made it look soooo good!

Your prev post, this: The day my husband eats a vegetarian meal will be the day I can wear skinny jeans and tall boots without being mistaken for a dwarf.
    Ok the skinny jeans part has me rolling. I am actually almost 5’11 and fairly lean. And I think skinny jeans look awful me. I really have no idea who they are made for. Not me, that’s for sure!

But my hubs was a meat & potatoes Chicago guy when I met him nearly 10 yrs ago. Never in my wildest dreams did I think we’d be living on the west coast and not only would I be cooking!!! but that it’d be raw vegan food!!! and that he’d be eating it!!!!! Seriously, times can change and never say never. My husband though lots of veggies were like 4 pieces of iceburg lettuce and nasty carrots. Now he’s like 90% vegetarian and high raw. He doesn’t know it, but he is. Cuz that’s what I feed him and he eats it! :)

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — November 29, 2009 @ 6:30 am

A few carbs never hurt anyone! ;-)

I reserve my carb splurges for really good things…bruschetta happens to be one!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — November 29, 2009 @ 6:42 am

I love bruschetta! It’s one of my favorite appetizers!

Jessie (Vegan-minded) — November 29, 2009 @ 8:02 am

I love bruschetta! It is one of my favorite appetizers to order at a restaurant. I like mine with tons of fresh basil added to the mix. :)

Emily (A Nutritionist Eats) — November 29, 2009 @ 8:03 am

Yum, I love bruschetta! I usually don’t put the tomatoes and cheese in the oven with the bread but that looks fantastic and I will have to try it next time!

CCV — November 29, 2009 @ 9:07 am

I was never big on bruscetta… probably because my mom ate TRUCKLOADS of it when she was pregnant with me LOL!

Viviane — November 29, 2009 @ 9:39 am

I never cook anything but the bread in a Bruschetta! Perhaps I should try this…
    Another cooking alternative: the electric grill… Fast and not messy especially if you put tinfoil on it.
    But you still cannot dry your hair while the bread is toasting… :D

Shelley — November 29, 2009 @ 9:49 am

that looks good… basic, but delicious!!

Kelly from Bridges and Bites — November 29, 2009 @ 11:47 am

*sigh* That looks so good. Too bad I’m allergic to tomatoes.

rebeccasubbiah — November 29, 2009 @ 12:04 pm

these look so good yummy

Cara (Cara Craves...) — November 29, 2009 @ 12:20 pm

The perfect appetizer! Yummers…
    I look forward to holiday parties and all the yummy apps. that go along with them.

April — November 29, 2009 @ 1:46 pm

Those look SO good!!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — November 29, 2009 @ 2:15 pm

love love love the simplicity and deliciousness of bruschetta! thanks for sharing the recipe, Jessica!

Light Delight with TouTou — November 29, 2009 @ 2:19 pm

this is my fav. party food, I am not guilty at all eating them!!! :-) In my eyes, the bruschetta is categorized into “light appetizer” haha:-D
    thanks for these sections, very useful!!! can’t wait to read more — you know, we have several parties next week, next next week, next next next week!!

The Candid RD — November 29, 2009 @ 2:28 pm

Fantastic recipe. I love bruschetta, as it’s one of those things that looks so difficult to make, yet it’s so simple! It does need the perfect ingredients though, and fresh ingredients. I love making different bruschetta variations too, like adding pesto! Yum.

• Jessica — November 29th, 2009 @ 2:47 pm

I love pesto, too!

Janice — November 29, 2009 @ 3:10 pm

ooh I could eat that right now, looks lovely.

Kristen @ SimplySavor — November 29, 2009 @ 3:38 pm

yumm!! as an italian girl, you know i’m loooving my bruschetta! this looks so easy i can’t wait to try this over the holidays, thanks jessica! :)

Scorpio Woman — November 29, 2009 @ 4:57 pm

Your bruschettas look yummy. It would be great as appetizers soon :) It’s been a while since I ate that.

Amanda — November 30, 2009 @ 10:39 pm

Oh man, now I’m hungry. I haven’t had this in a while and these pics look so tasty. I wish I could just have a nibble right now!

Kimberly — August 4, 2011 @ 11:04 pm

These are good, but I just LOVE mine. You should try it… boursin cheese, honey and goat cheese make up the spread for on the bread, then top it with what ever you want on it (I usually do multi colored peppers, onions and sometimes tomatoes too.)

Amanda — August 15, 2011 @ 12:55 pm