Update your google readers: http://feeds.feedburner.com/howsweeteats/smSp

You read that correctly.

Creme brulee + french toast.

If there was ever a recipe to make your drool on the floor, make your pant’s hate you more, or simply make you want to eat breakfast 72 times per day, this is it.

I can credit my friend, Mary, for this recipe. Remember Mary? She is my brother’s girlfriend who so graciously borrowed 2 ripe avocados for me Friday night.

And thank goodness she did, because ‘adventurous’ is not my middle name. I run from squirrels and am afraid of the dark. Ask my husband.

This french toast tastes best with challah bread. Since I decided to make this at 11pm on a Saturday night, my access to challah was limited.

That should also tell you how active my social life is.

I ended up buying a loaf of homemade bread and cut it into gigantic, thick slices.

Obviously, someone had me in mind when creating this recipe, since those are all of my most favorite things. They must have been peeping in my kitchen window.

Check out that caramel on the bottom.

Ooey, gooey, and ready to go straight to your thighs.

Ain’t nothing better!

The toast is crispy and fluffy, too.

In usual fashion, I made a boatload of this french toast. Sometimes I forget there are only 2 of us living in this house.

Well, three – if you count my appetite.

I made my brother and Mary come over to eat some. That was after I had already eaten half the pan. I like to share. Sometimes.

We really loved this. It would be perfect for a holiday brunch, or special occasion.

Dare I even say it?

I know that I swear up, down and all round that nothing is too sweet for me, but this was incredibly rich. It didn’t stop me from eating a gazillion pieces, but if I would have eaten a gazillion + 1 pieces, I would have been on sugar overload.

In any case, this means you will love it and will thoroughly enjoy it in moderate, normal-person quantities.

I don’t think I have a human appetite. I am not sure what species I am.

Creme Brulee French Toast

adapted from allrecipes

1/2 cup unsalted butter

1 cup packed brown sugar

2 tablespoons corn syrup

6 slices challah bread

5 eggs

1 1/2 cups half-and-half cream

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 tablespoon brandy-based orange liqueur (such as Grand Marnier®)

1/4 teaspoon salt

Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Mix in brown sugar and corn syrup, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Pour into a 9×13 inch baking dish.

Remove crusts from bread, and arrange in the baking dish in a single layer. In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, half and half, vanilla extract, orange brandy, and salt. Pour over the bread. Cover, and chill at least 8 hours, or overnight.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove the dish from the refrigerator, and bring to room temperature.

Bake uncovered 35 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven, until puffed and lightly browned.

**I made this batch + 1/2 of another one, and used another small baking dish with more bread.

I began to eat mine plain, then added a bit of syrup on top.

Just look at that caramel goodness.

I’m sorry. And you’re welcome.

46 Responses to “Creme Brulee French Toast.”

Jackie @ TriToLose — December 9, 2009 @ 1:25 pm

Wow. Looks absolutely fantastic. :)

Estela @ Weekly Bite — December 9, 2009 @ 1:25 pm

Jessica, this looks really good! I’m a sucker for french toast too… and anything w/sugar for that matter ;)

VeggieGirl — December 9, 2009 @ 2:02 pm

I’m coming over for brunch next time :)

Seth @ Boy Meets Food — December 9, 2009 @ 2:10 pm

Thank you. You just resolved my dilemma for what to make for breakfast in the morning. :)

Devona — December 9, 2009 @ 2:23 pm

This french toast looks scrumptious. I might have to make it one day.

Maria — December 9, 2009 @ 2:35 pm

I just went into sugar heaven:)

Stephanie — December 9, 2009 @ 2:37 pm

Oh WOW… this looks amazing!! I’ve never wanted smellovision or whatever Emeril always talks about so badly before!!! :)

Shelley — December 9, 2009 @ 2:43 pm

that looks & sounds soo incredibly deliciouss.. if only you could be my own personal chef :)

janetha b — December 9, 2009 @ 2:47 pm

gahhh.. french toast is a personal favorite and i love this variation!

Lisa — December 9, 2009 @ 2:48 pm

oh my that looks amazing! I think it would make a perfect brunch :)

Cara (Cara Craves...) — December 9, 2009 @ 3:06 pm

Oh my goodness…a yummy Christmas morning treat!

katie — December 9, 2009 @ 3:20 pm

hahah “Im sorry and your welcome” love that. looks GREAT boo!

One Healthy Apple — December 9, 2009 @ 3:45 pm

No need to apologize! This looks amazing. Of course my lack of butter and cream in the house will prevent me from having this, but I love looking at pictures of it on your blog and I should bribe someone to make me some!

alliemarien — December 9, 2009 @ 3:47 pm

i used to eat french toast every sunday morning. it’s been a long time since then, but this recipe of basically having dessert for breakfast may be what i need to jump start my old routine.

Kelly B. — December 9, 2009 @ 3:56 pm

HOLY WOW!!!

Ameena — December 9, 2009 @ 4:35 pm

Wow, this looks delicious. I want to try to make it with Maya’s “help.” :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — December 9, 2009 @ 4:40 pm

this is just sick beyond belief (in the best way!)
    however a pound of lard will do that every time…make things RIDIC AMAZING. and the gluten and eggs and all that jazz :) love it girl, I want some now!!!!

love our email convo today
    sorry pressed for time but totally hear ya about everything. totall same wavelength and just read your naomi guestie…nummmy soup!

carolinebee — December 9, 2009 @ 5:37 pm

OMGGGG delish!!! I looove love challah bread so much! All breads really, i don’t discriminate :D
    I’m having a holiday partayy on fri, i hope i can scrounge together some of your recipes!

The Candid RD — December 9, 2009 @ 6:00 pm

Just looking at these pictures makes my mouth water. I can’t believe you actually believed it was slightly too sweet! You know what that means? It was VERRRRRY sweet, and Nick would throw it away. Or I’d just grab his and eat it :) I’m like you, nothing is too sweet for my taste buds!

April — December 9, 2009 @ 6:04 pm

Do you know what would make that better?? NOTHING!! OMG!!!

Light Delight with TouTou — December 9, 2009 @ 6:21 pm

You are indulging yourself!!! how can you combine those Creme brulee with french toast :-D what a genius idea! can’t wait to try it out!

Scorpio Woman — December 9, 2009 @ 6:30 pm

Thanks Jessica :) I’ll probably try it in the Holidays. I love French Toast and Creme Brulee :)

Nicole — December 9, 2009 @ 6:31 pm

Looks SO amazing…and btw I run from squirrels too ever since they decided to come in one of our windows I am petrified!!

Shannon @ bakeandbloom.com — December 9, 2009 @ 6:45 pm

French toast is like a lazy womans pancake, & in no way is that a bad thing. + it’s the perfect fix for day old ciabatta.

Yum Yucky — December 9, 2009 @ 7:06 pm

sophia — December 9, 2009 @ 7:24 pm

Holy shit. You just combined the best of both worlds together into one ooey gooey lovely deliciousness. Call me over, and I’ll be there!

Holly — December 9, 2009 @ 9:18 pm

GAH…i read the title and literally debated scrolling down, because i know if i did, the game would be over. and it is. i think i might already have plans to make this for my family over christmas. thank you for your fabulous recipes!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — December 9, 2009 @ 9:39 pm

It is a sin what you just did. A sin. I am totally bookmarking this page, and WILL be making this ASAP!!!!

Sana — December 9, 2009 @ 9:49 pm

Wow! I love french toast more than anything in the world.

Gliding Calm — December 9, 2009 @ 10:05 pm

make me breakfast? please? with champagne punch on the side :D

Erica — December 10, 2009 @ 4:31 am

I think this would be perfection for Christmas brunch. Deliciousness

Cindy Coniglio — December 10, 2009 @ 5:59 am

Why have you hidden this from me??

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — December 10, 2009 @ 6:31 am

I run from squirrels too…you never know when those little bastards might decide to attack!!!

Also– this looks A. Maze. Ing. Your blog makes me drool :-)

Morgan @ Life After Bagels — December 10, 2009 @ 9:49 am

I guess I better say . . . I forgive you, and thank you!

Also, I read your guest post over at Naomi’s blog!

megan — December 10, 2009 @ 10:10 am

umm… wow.

I have to make brunch for a group of people this weekend. dare I try something completely new? Is there any way this could possibly go wrong?

Karla — December 10, 2009 @ 10:21 am

Wow! This sounds intense!!
    Sadly I’m not a fan of french toast but I could make this for guests and I bet it would be a hit!

Lisa S. — December 10, 2009 @ 10:31 am

I’m not afraid of much. I bake challah every weekend.
    So, did my invitation get lost in the mail?????
    Hmmmm? I’m great at scaring squirrels. You could
    have emailed. Oh well, I can make it myself.

Ashley — December 11, 2009 @ 9:24 am

this is the best damn looking french toast i’ve seen in a while. you are a cooking goddess. come visit me and ill eat your food?? :)

Helen — May 28, 2010 @ 5:07 am

This looks to DIE for! I need this in my life!!

Jillian — January 4, 2011 @ 7:00 pm

You said “The freach toast sits over night, and is covered in a mixture of butter, brown sugar, heavy cream, eggs, cinnamon and vanilla.”

I didn’t see cinnamon in the recipe and am wondering where and how much goes in?

This looks absolutely delicious. Thanks for another great recipe!

• Jessica — January 4th, 2011 @ 7:33 pm

So sorry about that – 1 teaspoon!

Erin — April 30, 2011 @ 3:44 am

Can it be? French toast, the classiest of breakfast-desserts, and… creme brulee? That impeccably addicting dessert? *Mops puddle of drool off of floor*. It seems you were correct.

Tina — September 19, 2012 @ 12:34 pm

Bread pudding. Maybe its just an English/British thing…altho bread puddng recipes I run across have some sort of dried fruit in them…this is completely awesome…and I think I am going to sub in B’52’s in place of the GM…for giggles

1. Pingback: Food Geek Friday: Creme Brulee French Toast « Melinda Massie Events Blog

2. Pingback: Fage Yogurt, You Can Go Fuck Yourself « He8, She8