I’m so glad you guys enjoyed Friday FOOD Trivia! :)

The answers:

1. Little Tongues (ew, kinda gross, huh?)

2. 12

3. Cheerioats (kinda cute!)

Those who qualified:

Mellissa

Sarah

Seth

Cassie

VeggieGirl

Naomi

Congrats peeps! Please double check and make sure your name is on the list. :)

Now on to some incredible comfort food. It is snowing this morning in Pittsburgh, and this is the number one thing that is on my mind.

It is the ultimate comfort food for me. My favorite meal growing up came to be pot roast, mashed potatoes, egg noodles and gravy. I still love when my mom makes it today. It always tastes better when someone else makes it for you.

I like to use wide egg noodles.

IMG_2186

I make these most often with a beef or pork roast. I love pulled pork.

Add the noodles to the gravy about 10 minutes before dinner time. I keep the gravy a bit thin for this reason.

IMG_2189

Once the noodles are cooked, you can thicken the gravy a bit more. The noodles are just packed with flavor.

You can serve in a dish with gravy.

IMG_2198

But we like them best served on top of mashed potatoes.

IMG_2395

Egg Noodles and Gravy

Serves 4

2 cups of egg noodles

Gravy of pork, beef, chicken, turkey, etc.

Add noodles to gravy about 10 minutes before dinner time. Leave in gravy and serve over mashed potatoes.

Have you ever had egg noodles and gravy? What does comfort food mean to you?

29 Responses to “Egg Noodles and Gravy.”

katie — December 5, 2009 @ 7:53 am

that is like the ULTIMATE comfort food!!! I love those noodles.
    comfort food to me=anything cheesy, carby, and salty.

Nicole — December 5, 2009 @ 8:09 am

I LOVE noodles and gravy! My mom used to make stew and I would have it all the time. Some of my comfort food is pastina soup, which is just pastina, broth and a ton of grated cheese.

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — December 5, 2009 @ 8:36 am

I’ve never had this dish, but it definitely looks like pure, unadulterated comfort food! Yum…

It’s snowing here in Altoona too, so hopefully I’ll be cooking up something equally comforting for our meals today…

Ultimate comfort food? Hmmmm…it would be hard to narrow it down to just one, but I think my mom’s bread pudding would be pretty high up there! Anything carby and sweet :-)

Chelsea @ (Chelsea's Chew and Run Fun) — December 5, 2009 @ 8:39 am

I’ve never tried egg noodles and gravy, though, after reading your post…I’m certainly tempted to do so.

Comfort food to me is something that brings back fuzzy memories (Grandma’s snickerdoodles, scalloped potatoes, etc.) or anything rich, creamy, salty, and chewy.

Barbara — December 5, 2009 @ 8:56 am

Absolutely I’ve had it! Yummy!
    My favorite comfort food also involves noodles- I like them browned with swiss cheese.

AmyLou — December 5, 2009 @ 9:08 am

My in-laws are crazy about chicken and noodles. They also serve it over mashed potatoes, and then have pieces of chicken on top. They don’t use egg noodles, though, they use another kind of noodle, a kind of thick fettucini noodle. I think it’s all right.

Comfort food to me is my mom’s lasagna. Her recipe is simple and is wonderful!

VeggieGirl — December 5, 2009 @ 9:37 am

YAAAY I qualified again :-D

Yep! Used to love beef stroganoff (had the egg noodles and a “gravy type” sauce, haha).

Shelley — December 5, 2009 @ 9:37 am

yay for qualifying!! & those noodles look deliciouss

TheKitchenWitch — December 5, 2009 @ 9:56 am

Me lovva da gravy!!!! For ultimate comfort, I have to have it over rice, for some odd reason?

The Candid RD — December 5, 2009 @ 10:44 am

This is definitely some serious comfort food. It looks so amazing, and I only wish I could smell it! Smell-o-computer needs to be invented sometime soon. Oh, and I LOVE pulled pork too. It’s one of my favorite foods, ever.

I’m jealous of your snow!

Cara (Cara Craves...) — December 5, 2009 @ 11:36 am

Comfort Food = Anything made by my Mom or any soup, stew or chili

Karla — December 5, 2009 @ 12:42 pm

Woo! I qualified!!

Comfort Food is anything warm and delicious, mostly soups, stews and casseroles for me.

I love gravy! That’s probably one of the things I missed about my vegetarian thanksgiving! Next year I’ll make sure to bring mushroom gravy which is delicious!!

Naomi (onefitfoodie) — December 5, 2009 @ 12:42 pm

SO HAPPY i got the trivia!! YES!!!! :)

comfort food at its finest, Jess!!
    <3 u!

Kristen @ SimplySavor — December 5, 2009 @ 12:47 pm

gotta love the comfort food! mine is actually warm peanut butter sandwiches…when i studied abroad in italy i was desperate to find some because it reminded me of home! :)

this dish looks great! definitely qualifies as comfort food. have a great weekend :)

Mellissa — December 5, 2009 @ 2:49 pm

I don’t like my food touching but the noodles and gravy look very delicious, especially for a cold winter day!

Abby's Vegan Eats — December 5, 2009 @ 4:06 pm

Its def a comfort food kinda day here in NC. POURING RAIN and freezing..lovely. I hope your dish hit the spot!!! Anything that warms me up and fills my belly is comforting.. usually carby.. pasta or warm bread!! :)

One Healthy Apple — December 5, 2009 @ 6:37 pm

This totally reminds me of my mom’s stroganoff- egg noodles are the secret!

For me, comfort food is my mama’s Russian cooking. Carby, fatty, and made with love!
    Have a wonderful weekend!

Katie — December 5, 2009 @ 7:14 pm

Yum! I’ve never had (or heard of) this dish, but it looks like comfort in a bowl. My favorite comfort food is mashed veggies – weather it’s potatoes, cauliflower, broccoli – just steam and mash. Like baby food, really…

Amanda — December 5, 2009 @ 7:44 pm

Shut up! I have never eaten noodles over potatoes… that sounds like a huge starch rush! Not that that is a bad thing. ;) Blessings!

Erica — December 5, 2009 @ 8:30 pm

I’m not sure I’ve ever had egg noodles and gravy! Sounds delicious. I wonder if theres a more veggie friendly version out there?? I will have to look.

Favorite comfort foods- squash macaroni and cheese, pasta and pasta sauce

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — December 6, 2009 @ 5:51 am

Comfort foods mean comforting memories. Cooking and baking with my grandmothers. Sound familiar? :-)

Shannon — December 6, 2009 @ 6:42 am

Anything warm and creamy or anything with pasta feels like comfort food to me. You noodles and gravy would definitely fit the bill!

Light Delight with TouTou — December 6, 2009 @ 7:43 am

Ha Egg noodles! my favorite!
    the comfort food for me is something like thick soup style, slightly sweetened, and creamy. like hot chocolate , or creamy mushroom soup… unfortunately, comfort food for me is by no means low calories! haha

Sana — December 6, 2009 @ 12:04 pm

Mac&cheese!!!!! Ultimate comfort food!

LC @ Let Them Eat Lentils — December 6, 2009 @ 12:34 pm

Comfort food to me is Italian. Even though we’re Irish, we had a big Italian pasta night every Sunday and it’s a tradition I keep up with today.

Katie @ cozydelicious — December 6, 2009 @ 6:43 pm

Oooh, these look amazing. I have never cooked my noodles IN the gravy. I am totally going to have to try that! I agree – egg noodles remind me of my childooh and are, therefore, totally comfort food! I love simple buttered egg noodles with peas and some chopped parsley – my favorite thing to make when it’s just me for dinner.

rebeccasubbiah — December 6, 2009 @ 6:59 pm

like your food trivia post yum pasta

Lele — December 6, 2009 @ 8:56 pm

Noodles AND gravy AND mashed potatoes- I am in a blissful food coma just THINKING about that combination. I think it will be my reward for finishing finals!

Potsie — November 17, 2014 @ 8:49 am

THIS FOOD MAKE YOU FAT AND DIABETES!