This appetizer includes three of my most favorite ingredients:

Cheese

Butter

Seafood

There is no going wrong here. The perfect combo, right? If it had some bacon in it, I’d be in heaven.

My mom has been making these crabmeat bites for as long as I can remember – probably 15 years or more?

And while she is chronically late to every party we attend, and this appetizer usually arrives at dinner time, it still gets eaten in record speed. Everyone loves them!

(And over the years, her lateness has gotten better. Though I am still scarred from being late everywhere I went as a child, and now arrive to my destination an annoying 15 minutes early. This does not bode well if you are trying to be ‘fashionably late,’ which I didn’t even realize was cool until … now.)

It’s a simple start by throwing everything in a saucepan.

IMG_2363

I usually don’t use canned crabmeat and prefer the more ‘fresh’ variety. This canned crab is what we have always used for this dish and I didn’t intend on switching things up here. It tastes too good.

The ingredients combine and melt together to create the spread.

IMG_2367

IMG_2373

I used the light, multigrain english muffins, because that is what we normally eat. They have 8 grams of fiber. (Not that my husband needs more.)

IMG_2371

However, they were a bit chewy. My mom always uses regular, white english muffins and they toast up very nicely. If you’re making this for a party, I would suggest using the regular ones. For taste’s sake.

Once the cheese, butter and crab has melted, it gets spread on each side of the english muffin, and topped with paprika.

Of course, I use smoked paprika, since I have this insane, unruly love affair with it. My mom uses regular paprika, and it tastes great, too!

They go into the oven to crisp up and get all bubbly.

IMG_2388

Cut them into tiny triangles – perfect for finger food!

IMG_2389

They will get gobbled up quickly, but cutting them into four’s leaves more room for sharing. Sometimes I have eaten an entire english muffin pre-cut. I know that probably shocks the heck out of you, given how … regimented I am.

IMG_2390

Crabmeat Bites

1 jar Kraft Old English Cheese Spread

1 stick butter

1 small can of crabmeat

12 english muffins

a few dashes of paprika

Preheat oven to 350.

In a small saucepan, combine butter, cheese and crabmeat until melted together. Allow it to thicken a bit.

Slice english muffins in half and lay on a baking sheet. Spread crabmeat mixture on muffins and sprinkle each with a dash of paprika.

Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and muffins are crisp. Once cooled, cut into four’s (triangles) and serve.

IMG_2393

Doesn’t this look like perfection? I promise if you make these, they will be highly requested from here on out.

IMG_2394

Has Christmas come early at work? With people bringing in cookies, treats, and gift baskets, holiday weight gain can start earlier than anticipated. Make it a December to Remember, and try this at-home cardio workout when you are pressed for time.

Still not getting my updates since I switched domain names? Click here to subscribe: http://feeds.feedburner.com/howsweeteats/smSp

38 Responses to “Holiday Appetizers 101: Crabmeat Bites.”

Jessie — December 3, 2009 @ 8:09 am

That is so easy and it looks great!

Kelly from Bridges and Bites — December 3, 2009 @ 8:13 am

Oh I love crab meat!!!

Scorpio Woman — December 3, 2009 @ 8:29 am

You always post great recipes. I have a few from you that I kept on a word document that I have to try. Thanks a lot :)

Mona — December 3, 2009 @ 8:58 am

That looks soo good. It’s true seafood, butter, and cheese is a great combo! I will definitely try this recipe.
    Thanks!

Sarah Jayne — December 3, 2009 @ 9:00 am

these look so easy & SOO good. Def trying them out at a get together this season :)

Becca — December 3, 2009 @ 9:30 am

Yummy!! You are making this very hard for me because we’re throwing a football party this weekend and I can’t decide which appetizers to make! I think I’m definitely going to throw this into the mix, it sounds so good!

Question: I have never purchased Old English Cheese. Does that just come from the regular grocery store?

Abby (Nibble, Nourish, Run) — December 3, 2009 @ 10:01 am

Oooh delicious! Must make these for the boyfriend…he agrees with you on your 3 favorite things…cheese, butter and seafood!

Ameena — December 3, 2009 @ 10:47 am

These look so delicious, what a great appetizer idea!

Chelsea @ (Chelsea's Chew and Run Fun) — December 3, 2009 @ 10:55 am

Those look wonderful and seem like perfect pre-dinner party appetizers! I may be using this recipe for a little holiday get-together I plan on having. Will let you know how they turn out if I do! Thanks for sharing.

Jenny — December 3, 2009 @ 11:17 am

You had me at “Cheese, butter, and seafood!”

*waving* I’m back!

Seth @ Boy Meets Food — December 3, 2009 @ 11:29 am

I know how you feel. My parents were always late to every party, and now I am following in their footsteps. I like to tease my wife about a wedding where we got in and sat down RIGHT before the groom walked down the isle. She tries to tell me we were late… HA.

My Dad LOVES that cheese spread. Maybe I will have to make some of that for him! It sure looks great!

Shelley — December 3, 2009 @ 11:46 am

that sounds really good– i looove seafood!

Amanda — December 3, 2009 @ 11:51 am

I LOVE all the ingredients!! This might be the winning app for the in laws…

Cindy (FarmgirlCyn) — December 3, 2009 @ 12:14 pm

Mmmm….I use Kraft Old English is a cheesy dip I make for tortilla chips, or just as a spread on a sandwich. THIS looks delicious!

Mellissa — December 3, 2009 @ 12:27 pm

I don’t know what that cheese spread is- where is it found at the store?

• Rae — February 4th, 2011 @ 9:27 pm

I found it it where the velveeta is. It was next to Kraft pimento spread.

Kelly B. — December 3, 2009 @ 1:11 pm

OH MY GOSH….those look heavenly!!!

Chrysta — December 3, 2009 @ 2:15 pm

Yummy!! Another winning recipe for sure! I LOVE anything with crab in it=)

katie — December 3, 2009 @ 2:39 pm

i didnt even know they sold crab in cans! wow, you learn something new everyday

Sana — December 3, 2009 @ 4:02 pm

Wow! Those look delish! I love anything crab :)!

Melinda — December 3, 2009 @ 4:49 pm

Yum, and that is all I have to say. I’m from Maryland, crab anything rocks!

One Healthy Apple — December 3, 2009 @ 5:08 pm

Yes please! This is like a crab-pizza-focaccia bread and looks so sinfully good!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — December 3, 2009 @ 6:02 pm

so simple!! I love dishes like that that only call for 4 simple ingredients because you can make them for yourself and then the same dish for a dinner party!! :)

great idea jess <3

Gliding Calm — December 3, 2009 @ 6:08 pm

SO CUTE!!!!!
    Those look like the absolute perfect party appetizer!!!!!

so so cute, Jess!

kay (eating machine) — December 3, 2009 @ 8:19 pm

i just showed this to my fiance.
    and he proceeded to have a long stream of conscious talk about english muffins. “i bet that’d be good on other things. well, it’s probably good on english muffins. i like english muffins on egg mcmuffins. i don’t know if i’ve had them on other things. maybe i have. yeah, i’ve had them with jam. i think i like them”
    i think that means i can make him this. but i’m afraid to bring it up and hear about english muffins again.

Kelly — December 4, 2009 @ 8:56 am

i’m usually in charge of the mini bagels for xmas eve (mini bagels with a spread of mayo, cheese, and red & green pepper) but i might have to switch it up bc i want to eat my screen right now!

April — December 21, 2009 @ 8:47 am

I can’t find the Old English cheese spread anywhere. Do you have any other suggestions? I have 1 more store I need to check. It is like cheez whiz?

Rebecca — December 27, 2010 @ 6:52 pm

I made these on Christmas and they were a HUGE hit! I have already been asked to make them again for New Years. The only change I made was I used a French Baguette and the mixture leaked through the holes in the bread which created a delicious cheesy crouton taste on the bottoms! Thank you for the fabulous recipe!

Amanda — December 28, 2010 @ 12:46 pm

I use a similar recipe that has been floating around our family FOREVER! I think mine calls for a bit less butter though! I also like to add some shallots for a bit more flavor. Yum! Oh man now I really want some!

Amanda — August 15, 2011 @ 12:51 pm

Wow. these look delicious. Thanks for keeping your older posts up. It’s really encouraging to see how other bloggers improve.

martha keller — December 17, 2011 @ 7:22 pm

I REALLY L

IKE THESE THEY WERE EASY TO MAKE!

Lindsey — April 21, 2012 @ 11:34 am

My mom has been making these my whole life too! There are soooo good!!

Kathie Wynn — August 8, 2012 @ 9:15 pm

I got my recipe from my Mom (gone 14 years now). She would make these ahead of time. Cut them in 4′s and place them on a foil covered cookie sheet. Put them in the freezer & when frozen, place them in a zipper bag. When you wanted a few or all of them, take them out, put them on a cookie sheet and broil them until browned. This method means you could have some every night if you wanted to.

Jamie — August 17, 2012 @ 7:52 am

That’s so crazy that my grandma has made the same “crab muffins” for as long as I can remember and now she passed it down to me! We don’t melt it ahead of time though…just mix everything together and spread it on the muffins. Then bake it…I’m sure it all taste the same though. We also add a little dried onion and like 1 tablespoon of mayo. LOVE IT!!!

1. Pingback: Wakey wakey, here’s what i’m gonna makey! « The Weigh I Am