Update your google readers! http://feeds.feedburner.com/howsweeteats/smSp

A few years ago I had a client that would bring me these red velvet cookies. They were so good and we’re usually gone before I left the gym for the day.

While I do have a ‘from scratch’ recipe for red velvet cake, I wasn’t sure how it would turn into cookies. So I went with this one. Admittedly, after baking from scratch all weekend, I was relieved to use a box mix. I was exhausted!

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

IMG_2780

The additions are simply eggs, vanilla and oil. It is so easy to make!

IMG_2783

I love how pretty the red dough looks. It also dies your hands red. And your teeth. Not that I’d know about that…

IMG_2784

It gets even better with the chocolate chips added in.

IMG_2785

The mix is very doughy, so it is easy to roll them into balls.

IMG_2786

Look how gorgeous. I love the red color. And for those of you who were asking – these do not have a cake-like texture. It is more of a chewy chocolate chip cookie. Drool.

IMG_2791

If it is even possible, they can be made better with some with cream cheese frosting.

IMG_2803

IMG_2805

Red Velvet Chocolate Chips Cookies

1 box Red Velvet cake mix

2 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/3 cup vegetable oil

3/4 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350.

In an electric mixing bowl, combine cake mix, oil, eggs, and vanilla. Mix until a dough forms. Fold in chocolate chips. Roll into balls and bake at 350 for 8 minutes.

Makes about 24 cookies.

IMG_2807

You have to make these now. And if you do, feel free to send me some. They have somehow disappeared.

Check out what I’ve made for the holidays so far. :)

84 Responses to “Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Cookies.”

Victoria — December 20, 2010 @ 6:06 am

Red velvet mix flies off the shelves at my supermarket. I always have to stock up on it whenever I see it. There’s someone around my neighborhood that’s hoarding all the red velvet cake boxes! The word must be out on your cookies!

These cookies are delicious and incredibly easy to make. Since I don’t like cream cheese icing too much I mix a little cream cheese with buttercream icing and a few drops of vanilla. Add green sprinkles and it’s a holiday party in your mouth. Everyone’s loved them.

Love your site! I’ve been telling all my friends where I get my new recipes from. Can’t wait to continue all the holidy baking.

• Jessica — December 20th, 2010 @ 11:46 am

Thanks so much!

Charlotte — February 8, 2011 @ 1:23 am

I’m so glad you put this recipe up, because they surely look DELICIOUS. I just have a question about the texture. I REALLY want a chewy red velvet chocolate chip cookie, but I have my worries. I don’t want it to taste like a cake-like cookie, or I’ll just make cupcakes. I bought the same mix, but will the batter/dough be runny? Thanks!

• Jessica — February 8th, 2011 @ 3:27 am

It’s not runny at all, it should be very doughy and chewy!

kathy — December 31, 2011 @ 2:11 pm

Just made a batch for new year’s eve. Very yummy and easy. I used mini chocolate chips and frosted with cream cheese frosting. I guess I made mine a bit larger since I only got 1 1/2 dozen cookies. Next time I want to try white chocolate chips.

Emily — February 14, 2012 @ 7:40 pm

Just made some for Valentine’s Day! They were pretty oily, I needed to up the baking time by about 5 minutes, and let them sit for awhile before they were solid enough to move. But after that, they’re good!

Clairebakescakes from NY — April 21, 2012 @ 2:34 pm

OOhhhhhhh, I am soooooo making it right now. My kids are going nuts. I can’t wait. I hope you don’t mind if I blog about this on my site. I will link it to your post and make sure you get the proper credit.
    Thanks for sharing.

wendy gnagey — July 25, 2012 @ 10:08 pm

What is your recipe for cream cheese icing

Cookie Monster — August 14, 2012 @ 12:50 pm

Do you think this will go well with white chocolate chips? or will that be overly sweet? i would love the white to red contrast

Sophie Leigh — November 11, 2012 @ 5:26 pm

I just made these cookies and they are very good. Thank you for the recipe. I’m planning on taking the rest back to my college tonight and sharing them among my floor. I found this on Pinterest and I am very grateful. I did have to add a few minutes to each of the batches because they were very doughy, but after leaving them in the oven for a few more minutes, everything worked out perfectly! :) Marvelous cooke recipe. I love cookies and I love red velvet, so this was the perfect mix.

Samantha — May 19, 2013 @ 1:08 am

I just made these! The batch made 22 cookies, and I cooked them for a taaad longer, about 10-12 mins. Made them sandwich cookies with cream cheese frosting in the middle. Awesome! Thanks!

Karina — July 10, 2013 @ 3:13 am

You can use rose petals, honeysuckle & calendulas to decorate
    your plain Christmas cake. I find it the easiest to sift the flour and other dry
    ingredients before I start with the creaming of the butter and sugar.

It is best to use good quality filtered coffee in this recipe.

Lawanna — July 18, 2013 @ 2:34 pm

Even though your goal is just to lose 5 pounds in a week,
    you should be strict with what you do so as not to inadvertently
    undo all your hard work for vegetarian weight loss. Anyone who dares to
    make a closer inspection will find the underlying
    difference. When you’re about to start on your weight loss plan, it’s a good idea to think about your end goal and chunk it down into smaller goals.

1. Pingback: Baking Adventures « for the love of breakfast

2. Pingback: Wakey wakey, here’s what i’m gonna makey! « The Weigh I Am

3. Pingback: Let’s Get to Work « In the Skinny

4. Pingback: Welcome to 2010 « just another day.

5. Pingback: A Little Piece of Heaven « The Healthy Junky

6. Pingback: Chewy Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Cookies - from scratch! | How Sweet It Is

7. Pingback: Oh nuts. « A Tasty Life