Update your google readers! http://feeds.feedburner.com/howsweeteats/smSp

Looking for some great dishes to whip up for your holiday guests? I have yet to shop and will be braving the grocery store mob this afternoon. Eek!

On the list for Christmas Eve?

Stuffed artichokes.

Either lobster mac and cheese

or smoked cheddar bacon mac and cheese.

I’m leaning towards the second option.

If you are still searching for some creative dishes, here are a few that are fantabulous!

Gorgonzola stuffed baby red potatoes.

Gorgonzola smashed potatoes.

Butternut squash gnocchi.

(Don’t be intimidated! It’s super fun and easy to make. Give it a whirl!)

Cheese soup with red pepper and bacon.

Of course I will also be making an array of appetizers to snack on. :)

And with all of the holiday cookies around, I suggest baking a pan of these magical brownies.  (No – not magical as in ‘my mom was in music school in the 70’s’ magical).

Oooey & gooey.

And if you just can’t get enough treats, want your pants to fit even tighter, and would like to overdose on some sugar, try some of this creme brulee french toast for brunch. Or dinner. Either way, it works.

What is on your Holiday menus? Feel free to leave me some links – I’m always looking for ideas!

35 Responses to “Sweet Holiday Eats.”

megan — December 23, 2009 @ 7:05 am

My in-laws are in charge of dinner, so I’ll just be helping out in the kitchen. I’m bringing cookies (ha, somehow I have hundreds of them…maybe because I baked them for 12 days straight), and this really yummy cinnamon chip bread (not up on the blog yet!). I can’t wait! :)

Janna — December 23, 2009 @ 7:12 am

Oh WOW! Those look delicious. I love love artichokes and actually haven’t had one (not canned) in a year. The last time I had them I was in Florida… which is where i’m off to tomorrow, so maybe I’ll have one again.

My holidays are over (I’m a chanukah gal)… but I made homemade challah bread, potato pancakes and applesauce. Happy holidays!

Erica — December 23, 2009 @ 7:34 am

Josh would LOVE that lobster mac and cheese. I have to give that a go for him (and make a lobster free version for me). Best of luck at the food store. I have to hit it up later too- eeeeeeeeeeeeek

Casey @ Spicy&Sweet — December 23, 2009 @ 8:57 am

Lobster mac and cheese is SO delish! One of my faves. I’ve never made it myself though–impressive! My mom always makes a surf & turf combo on Christmas Eve….yummy :).

intheskinny — December 23, 2009 @ 8:59 am

I’ve always wanted to know how to make artichokes – thanks for the linky love. How do you pick out the best artichokes?

I’m making Paula Deen’s standing rib roast. Here is the link to my blog entry about it.

Her House Seasoning is 1 c. garlic salt; 1/2 c. salt; 1/2c. pepper.

• intheskinny — December 23rd, 2009 @ 12:32 pm

Oops , I meant 1 c. garlic powder

Lauren — December 23, 2009 @ 9:01 am

All of these dishes look amaazzinggg, but my family is so stuck in its ways that they would completely freak if I whipped out stuff like this for Christmas. I can just see them cussing me out…

Sarah Jayne — December 23, 2009 @ 9:03 am

Artichokessssssss yum. I actually was planning on making gorgonzola stuffed artichokes for my parents on Christmas day, but the ones at the grocery store looked so sad and little. DEFINITELY not enough room for all the gorgonzola I like to cram in those suckers!

Stef — December 23, 2009 @ 9:17 am

Artichokes and gnocchi! I’ve always wanted to make gnocchi…i know it’s not too complicated, mostly using a fork right? love all the pics

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) — December 23, 2009 @ 9:20 am

I think the next time I eat gnocchi it will have to be out of a package. I tried making them with my leftover Thanksgiving mashed potatoes and it got a little doughy to say the least :)

homecookedem — December 23, 2009 @ 9:26 am

What time should I be there?! ;) I’ve never had lobster mac & cheese!! I bet it’s out of this world!! :)

Naomi (onefitfoodie) — December 23, 2009 @ 9:26 am

i LOVE artichokes! omg I havent had one in so long!! dipping in the butter sauce is unbelievable!!
    bahhh and creme brulee french toast?!?! you are such a tease with these amazing pictures!!

Heather @ The Joyful Kitchen — December 23, 2009 @ 9:32 am

HOLY YUM my mouth was watering the whole time I was reading your post! And I think you should make both mac and cheese recipes and ship some of each to me :)

Caitlin@TheTwentyFifthYEar — December 23, 2009 @ 10:28 am

(No – not magical as in ‘my mom was in music school in the 70’s’ magical).

I wish I had links to share with you, but we know I am not the cook I wish to be. However 2010 will change all of that! I love the traditional French’s green bean casserole, though! It’s not bad for a non veggie-lover : )

Kelly B. — December 23, 2009 @ 11:24 am

That lobster mac and cheese looks AMAZING!!! WOW!

For Christmas Eve, we are doing a Mexican theme. Tortilla Soup with Tamalas…chips, queso, guacamole and salsa! YUM! Then on Christmas Day we do all the traditional menu items (ham, turkey, sweet potatoes, you get the idea) But the signature item ala Kelly is my pumpkin gingerbread trifle…making it today! http://myhealthypassion.wordpress.com/2009/12/12/christmas-baking/

Emily (A Nutritionisteats) — December 23, 2009 @ 11:51 am

Lobster mac & cheese needs to be in my future asap!
    I’m doing a baked brie with onion jam, fennel & arugula salad and then a goat cheese with balsamic onion crostini for a different celebration! Have a wonderful Holiday!!

Iris — December 23, 2009 @ 12:02 pm

Oh man, those all look so good! I’m bringing mac and cheese for my family for Christmas Eve dinner! Are you making everything? Very impressive!

Jenny — December 23, 2009 @ 12:51 pm

Mmm both of those mac’n’cheese dishes sound great!

Christmas Eve dinner will be my mom’s tradition of making Shrimp & Crab Bisque, and Christmas day we’re having filet mignon, potatoes, and this spinach and goat cheese salad:

One Healthy Apple — December 23, 2009 @ 1:11 pm

I don’t think I’m cooking anything. We are going to a potluck where the hosts are planning the menu. I’m holding my breath that I don’t have to bring something gross!

Sarah (OC2Seattle) — December 23, 2009 @ 1:24 pm

Well this was my menu, http://wp.me/pBzPT-fd, but I think I’m going to have to work your smashed potatoes in as well!

Lisa — December 23, 2009 @ 3:19 pm

oooh those artichokes look fantastic! I am making dessert this year – white russian mousse with summer berries :)

Leah — December 23, 2009 @ 4:12 pm

Im new to your blog, but WOW. All the food you post looks amazing. Especially that cheese soup!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — December 23, 2009 @ 7:51 pm

Your recipes look AMAZING. I don’t know how you manage to cook such fascinating dishes all the time!!

We are going to other people’s homes for Christmas dinner … I made the cabbage rolls today, and tomorrow I will make the cranberry sauce.

Kristen @ SimplySavor — December 23, 2009 @ 8:00 pm

wow i literally want to spend the holidays at your house! all of your food looks so delish and ive already printed out a bunch that I plan to make! yummm, thanks for these amazing recipes!

Abby (Nibble, Nourish, Run) — December 23, 2009 @ 9:09 pm

Oooh the gorgonzola smashed potatoes sound delish!! I was thinking of a Thanksgiving repeat of brioche and leek bread pudding…but need to make my final decision in the morning!

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — December 24, 2009 @ 4:09 am

I hope you pick the lobster mac! Just sayin. And I’d like to just say this, too…Have a wonderful Christmas surrounded by family, friends, and really good food!

Christina — December 24, 2009 @ 6:15 am

I think I’m just gonna make a dessert trifle with banana pudding, cool whip, bananas, and some sort of cake. I’m being lazy this year!

Paige (running around normal) — December 24, 2009 @ 8:41 am

Lobster mac and cheese?! A dream come true!

And I’m totally making those ooey gooey brownies sometime today or tomorrow.

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — December 24, 2009 @ 8:47 am

We were just talking about hot lobster mac ‘n cheese has suddenly become super popular. Looks absolutely delicious…ALL of this does!

Holly — December 24, 2009 @ 9:52 am

i ate breakfast like an hour ago and i am already hungry after reading this post :).

i think we are going out for thai food tonight – WOOWOO!

Barbara Bakes — December 24, 2009 @ 3:02 pm

What a fabulous meal! I want to eat at your house!

marla {Family Fresh Cooking} — December 24, 2009 @ 5:54 pm

My favorite splurge would be a toss up between the bacon or the lobster mac n’ cheese. That is a tough one!! Perhaps I would taste a bite of all these yum yums if they were presented to me!!

sophia — December 24, 2009 @ 6:22 pm

I would take each of each, please. OMG. Yum…esp that lobster mac and cheese! Sensuous!

Merry Christmas!!!!

ashton — December 26, 2009 @ 6:38 am

Hey, just stumbled across your site, its fabulous, I love it! You should check out mine as well I’m at http://www.diaryofasweettooth.com. Very similar, I’ll keep posted on yours!!

1. Pingback: Christmas Eve! | How Sweet It Is