Ohmigoodness. Tonight’s dinner was so much fun. I loved making it.

After seeing a stromboli recipe on My Kitchen Addiction this morning, I had an undying urge to make one. I had no clue how I would make it, or if I would even have time.

I made my whole wheat pizza dough when I got home, then set off for a workout while it was rising.

IMG_2695

I found a whole wheat pizza dough recipe online about 3-4 years ago, around the time my hubby and I started dating. I am not sure where I found it (sorry!), but I modified it to make it 100% whole wheat. I made one batch, which fills a large rectangular baking sheet. I actually measured while I was making it tonight so I could share the recipe with you! :)

Whole Wheat Pizza Dough

1 packet active dry yeast

1 cup warm water

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 tablespoon honey

1/4 teaspoon sea salt

2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour

Mix yeast and warm water, and let sit until foamy, about 15 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and honey to the yeast. Mix together. Add whole wheat flour and salt to a large bowl. Make a hole in the middle and add yeast mixture. Mix until a dough forms.

In another large bowl, add 1 tablespoon olive oil and cover entire bowl. Set dough in bowl and cover. Store in a cool, dark place to rise for about 1-2 hours.

When I came back, the dough had more than doubled in size.

IMG_2696

I spread it out in my baking sheet as if I was making a pizza. I cut it right down the middle, because I knew I wanted to make two different kinds of stromboli.

I made a pepperoni pizza stromboli:

IMG_2697

It had pepperoni, marinara sauce, low-fat provolone and mozzarella cheeses, fresh basil, and italian seasoning.

Next, I made a barbeque chicken stromboli:

IMG_2699

I carmelized some onions and red pepper first. I added them to the dough with chicken, barbeque sauce, low-fat provolone and mozzarella cheeses, and a touch of marinara sauce.

Into the oven they went.

When they came out, I noticed one of them had somewhat exploded.

IMG_2702

After an attempted fix, they still ended up tasting amazing. My hubby was so excited when he came home. I didn’t even know this, but he claimed that he loved stromboli!

I usually don’t eat up eating what I make. After cooking it, I just am not in the mood. Any of you ever feel that way?

This was certainly not the case here. After my plate, I kept going over to the stromboli’s and picking at them with my fork. There were so incredible.

I hope you guys try these out. I would file this under one of the best impulse recipes I have ever made. I can’t wait to make more homemade stromboli combinations! :)

25 Days of Workouts

Workout #8 – BEGINNER PLYOS

Plyometrics were once only thought to be beneficial to athletes. Now, many different people use them for a multitude of reasons. Here are a few beginner plyometric exercises. Make sure you feel 100% completely safe, are supervised by a professional, and stop immediately if you feel any pain. Remember to start out slow!

warm up for 10 minutes

1 set of 10 repetitions:

High Skips (skip as high as you possibly can)

Box Jumps (use a very low box to begin)

Squat Jumps

Side Bounds (leap side to side – advanced can leap over a step bench)

Long Jumps (from squat position, jump forward as far as you can, landing in a squat position)

cool down for 10 minutes

Remember to always softly land toe-ball-heel. This will help prevent injury.

Have a fantastic evening. :)

26 Responses to “Whole Wheat Stromboli’s + Beginner Plyos.”

Amanda — December 9, 2009 @ 7:04 pm

Well, you had me hanging on every word until I read… “I dont usually eat what I make”. I am not familiar with this concept and need you to elaborate further at a later date. ;)

It looks amazing… I think I would like to try this! Just to clarify, did you place a layer of the bread dough over the top of the fixins’ after you assembled it? So it was kinda like a bread sandwich? I have never had stromboli before!

VeggieGirl — December 9, 2009 @ 7:10 pm

Used to love stromboli’s!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — December 9, 2009 @ 7:18 pm

I get that way when I cook/bake. I pick at the food while cooking then when the food’s ready I have no appetite :( Need to work around that one!

Anne @ the doctor takes a wife — December 9, 2009 @ 7:31 pm

Oh my goodness these look delicious!! I’m excited to use your recipe for whole wheat pizza dough as well!! Any thoughts on using agave nectar instead of honey??

Alison — December 9, 2009 @ 7:35 pm

I’m copying down your pizza crust recipe right now!!!

Shelley — December 9, 2009 @ 7:39 pm

that looks really good- ilove healthy pizza :)

One Healthy Apple — December 9, 2009 @ 7:42 pm

I totally lose interest when I cook and don’t usually have it. This could explain why hubby eats fancy food and I’m content with gallons of almond butter for dinner.

Jessica — December 9, 2009 @ 8:01 pm

I can’t wait to try this!! I have always loved stromboli but have never made it myself. I am exciting to try it with the whole wheat dough. Thanks for another great recipe!!

Jackie @ TriToLose — December 9, 2009 @ 8:05 pm

I’ve been looking for a great whole-wheat pizza crust recipe. I’ll have to try this one! Thanks for the recipe!! :)

Kristie Lynn — December 9, 2009 @ 8:32 pm

Not that I think it is possible, but Chris would love me even more if he walked into the door and I greeted him with Stromboli. Awesome idea!

Katie — December 9, 2009 @ 8:56 pm

Ahhh! I made stromboli’s once for my husband right after we got married and he LOVED them – I forgot all about it before I just read your post…I’ll have to put on my wifely pants and do it again soon! Yours look fantastic, I’ll have to try your version…

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — December 9, 2009 @ 9:44 pm

I have never thought to make my own stromboli, even though I love ordering them at restaurants! Sounds fantastic!!

janetha b — December 9, 2009 @ 9:46 pm

GREAT workout and yummy dough! thanks for the recipe :)

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — December 10, 2009 @ 5:52 am

Great recipe and great workout! I love a workout that you do ANYWHERE at ANYTIME! Great stuff!

brandi — December 10, 2009 @ 7:01 am

i love stromboli, and this looks awesome! Both kinds sound great

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — December 10, 2009 @ 7:48 am

Glad you gave the stromboli a try! It’s great for impromptu meals, especially during the colder months of the year. Yours sounds absolutely fantastic!

Also, love the workout section on your post… I’ve been looking for some workout inspiration, so I will keep checking back! Thanks :)

Diana @ frontyardfoodie — December 10, 2009 @ 8:38 am

I’m totally like that. I cook crazy food for my hubby and then don’t feel like eating it……until later.

Or I’ll just eat something else like salad. haha

Low — December 10, 2009 @ 2:45 pm

Those look great! I usually have to eat what I make, since I’m cooking for myself. But at the end of it all, sometimes I am totally out of the mood.

Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers — December 10, 2009 @ 2:50 pm

i always want to eat what i make… and the portions i make for others, too. ;)

Mrs. Practically Perfect — December 10, 2009 @ 4:33 pm

I make whole wheat stromboli, too, but I simplify it by using frozen whole wheat bread dough. It tastes just as yummy and saves a lot on time :-) I usually make two at a time – one that’s all vegetarian and one with veggies and reduced-fat pepperoni. So good!

brittany — February 8, 2010 @ 6:54 pm

at what temp and how long did you cook these?

• Jessica — February 8th, 2010 @ 6:57 pm

375 for about 20-25 minutes, but it really depends on how thick the dough is or how much you’ve stretched it. I’d start with 20 minutes and watch it every 5 minutes or so! :)

brittany — February 9, 2010 @ 7:29 am

Made this last night for my boyfriend and I. Delic! I added sauteed spinach and mushrooms with pepperoni and cheese. Very yummy! So excited because we’ve been looking for a good dough recipe. If you wanted to substitute some white flour in, do you know what the ratios would be?

Heather — September 1, 2010 @ 12:12 pm

this interests me – can you speak more on the benefits of plyos?

cars — May 16, 2013 @ 1:24 pm

Car shopping can be very time consuming. There are plenty
    of cars you can look at, as well as a handful of factors to consider.
    You need to make sure you are aware of what you need to make it a better experience.

Consider the following helpful advice for making things easier on you.

1. Pingback: what a busy summer! « hiphomefront