I got this scone recipe from a friend’s sister, and it is to die for. I have mentioned before that I do not really like pastries or scones. Pastries usually have too much bread and not enough flavor, and scones are a bit too dry for my liking.

But I’m sure if there was a pastry covered in gravy and hot fudge, smeared with butter and topped with coconut and bacon, I’d be all over that.

It sounds gross, but really, I’m sure it is fabulous.

Cinnamon Chips. Hmm.

Not too sure how I feel about these. I love cinnamon. We go through it like dirty socks.

Maybe it is because I eat chocolate chips by the pound? I eat them in yogurt, pancakes, oatmeal, ice cream, salads . . . you get the drift.

And no, I don’t really eat them in salads. Because you know I don’t eat salad.

Back to these cinnamon chips – I popped a few of these like I was Lindsay Lohan popping . . .you know.

I just didn’t enjoy these alone. I usually eat a bucket few chocolate chips as a sweet treat, but won’t be doing the same with these.

They are, however, excellent when mixed in something.

I topped the scones with some raw turbinado sugar for a tasty crunch. I think adding some course sugar makes the scone.

These scones were anything but dry. They were moist and soft. A bit chewy, they just burst with flavor. The cinnamon chips are perfect.

Are you a scone or pastry person? I’m an everything person. But I’m really a bacon person. And a cheese person. And a chocolate person.

And I’m certainly not a veggie person.

But I’m not telling you anything you didn’t already know.

Cinnamon Chip Scones

Makes 16 scones

3 1/4 cups flour

1/3 cup sugar

2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

3/4 cups cold butter

1 cup buttermilk

1 teaspoon vanilla

3/4 cup cinnamon chips

Preheat oven to 425.

In large bowl combine dry ingredients. Cut in butter until it forms coarse crumbs. Stir in buttermilk and vanilla. Fold in cinnamon chips. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently.

Divide in half and pat into 7 inch round circles. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Cut into 6 or 8 wedges.

Bake at 425 for 13-15 minutes.

Make these for breakfast or brunch, or even for dinner like I did. Spread them with jam, butter or nut butter. Or crumble them in oatmeal!

Or dip them in gravy. Don’t know anyone who would do that. People are weird.

88 Responses to “Cinnamon Chip Scones.”

Simply Life — January 22, 2010 @ 6:39 am

I’ve really been wanting to make scones -these look just beautiful!

Jenny — January 22, 2010 @ 7:56 am

I’ve never seen cinnamon chips! I bet they would be delicious in oatmeal :)

Those scones look really good. I’m not much of a pastry person, I prefer moist, grainy breads over dry, crumbly ones. But if these are indeed not dry as you say, I’m all for it!

Kacy — January 22, 2010 @ 8:37 am

I’m usually not a scone or a cinnamon person, but there’s a cinnamon chip scone at panera that I LOOOVE. I need to make these.

BethT — January 23, 2010 @ 9:01 am

These look marvelous. I’ve never used cinnamon chips, but of course I must go out immediately and find them!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — January 24, 2010 @ 7:12 pm

These look *wonderful*… I have a bag of cinnamon chips in my pantry, and I think I will definitely have to make these! Bookmarking this recipe.

• The Kook @ The Kitchen Kook — February 1st, 2013 @ 4:59 pm

Yes! Stock up on them now before they’re gone! (They’re only a seasonal item!) I already went cinnamon-chip crazy at Central Market. Haha. :)

Angela — April 11, 2010 @ 1:23 pm

These are wonderful!!! Just finished baking them and I think they are my new favorite scone.

Kate — March 9, 2011 @ 7:16 pm

Oh wow these sound d-e-l-i-c-i-o-u-s!! I will definitely be trying this recipe very soon!

(found you through “This Italian Family”) :)

Cassie — September 9, 2011 @ 4:14 pm

haha 13 italic words very nice lol

Cate — October 27, 2011 @ 8:44 am

Hi – I would like to make these bite size (well, two to three bites, depending on how big your mouth is!). What do you suggest for baking time? I was thinking of starting with 9-10 minutes and add more if needed. Any thoughts on this?

Judy — January 4, 2012 @ 5:14 pm

I think the King Arthur and Prepared Pantry cinnamon chips both taste better than the ones you can get at most supermarkets.

Faiths_Mommy — January 25, 2012 @ 11:51 pm

where do you buy cinnamon chips? i have never seen them. I bet they would be yummy in pancakes & waffles too! Thanks, Shelley

anickH — February 6, 2012 @ 7:06 am

so i went out and bought buttermilk and cinnamon chips.making these tomorrow night after i get off work. i had my 1st cinnamon scone ever at starbucks airport in california about a month ago and i was drooling over it, so i bought another one. and then i had to try paneras while i was in cali since we dont have panera in utah. Well, paneras was EVEN bettter, but still, both were good. so now I HAVE to make my own scones since i dont have a panera in my state. hope these curb my cravings. btw, u should try creating a cake batter scone. just sayin..

anickH — February 18, 2012 @ 3:53 pm

K so I made these last night. They didnt turn out dry at all. But Im sure they will be dry in a couple days. No matter what recipe you use, Scones don’t stay moist long. There are things you can do to make them stay moister longer (like under-bake and make sure your dough isnt too dry.) But Even Panera and Starbucks throw their left-over scones out at the end of each day. Anyway, I wanted to make sure my scones were very moist so I made sure to only bake them 12 min. I cut the dough into 12 lrg round scones. rolled out the dough and cut it with a circle cookie cutter (cup ridge). As I was making the dough, I felt like it needed maybe a touch more butter so I ended up using 1 full cup instead of 3/4c and I also used slightly more sugar than whats called for (like 1/2 c.) Oh I also used more cinnamon chips (like 1.5cups.) Glad I did the adjustments because my scones turned out perfect. Theyre already all gone :(

anickH — February 18, 2012 @ 4:05 pm

Oh I also topped mine with icing!! that’s a must (IMO)

Average Jane — October 6, 2012 @ 2:18 pm

For some reason, my grocery store didn’t have cinnamon chips. I made them anyway and used mini semisweet chocolate chips. Still quite tasty!

Tricia — December 15, 2012 @ 11:05 pm

I just tried this recipe (I buy cinnamon chips in bulk from Prepared Pantry – they are excellent in brownies – and always have my eye out for a good recipe to use them) and now I really think I need to be alone with this batch of scones. With a big mug of hot tea, no butter or jam was needed, just their rich cinnamony goodness.

I ended adding a little more buttermilk than the recipe called for because the mixture seemed to be a bit too dry and they are simply amazing. I used raw sugar to sprinkle atop. Yum!

The Kook @ The Kitchen Kook — February 1, 2013 @ 4:56 pm

HAHA. I just laughed out loud. I just made some cinnamon chip scones myself and blogged about them before reading this post – and I literally made a Lindsay Lohan reference too! (Are we the same person??)

Anyways, I’m so used to rock-hard chewy, tough, dry, BLAND scones, but finally, these changed my life!! Finally, a scone that’s buttery, tender, soft, and delicate. Mmm. Literally the best thing that I’ve made.

I used a slightly different recipe than yours with less flour – so the dough, and trust me when I say this, was not dry at all! I hope to try yours soon and compare!

MPIndy — February 22, 2013 @ 6:40 pm

I can’t tell your readers how much this recipe has been passed around our family over the past two years since discovering on your site. And our family hails from the Midwest with a long tradition of baking from scratch.
    I had originally Googled cinnamon bagel pop recipes for a young nephew who loves all things cinnamon-sugar.
    Somehow I landed here & knew you had something. It became an instant classic in our family & also among neighbors & friends.
    They make wonderful gifts stacked in 2′s or 3′s in little cello bags tied off with good ribbon.
    I make a variation, also, by omitting the spices, increasing the sugar to 1/2 or 2/3 c total, and using mini-chocolate chips. They are dreamy.
    So, many many thanks for sharing this gem with the world. What a winner!

Megan — July 29, 2013 @ 1:52 pm

OMG! I made these and they were the best scones I have ever eaten.

Sarah — October 3, 2013 @ 8:08 am

Came across this recipe in search of a Panera Cinnamon Chip Scone and I’m soooo glad I did! These came out so delicious! Dense but yet still fluffy and moist. My dough was really sticky – im thinking it was because I used a buttermilk packet (which you add water to). I ended up adding a lil bit more flour and it helped a ton. I also baked mine about 15 mins because of that (after checking at 12 mins) and they were PERFECT. My kids loved them and so did my coworkers – you know it’s a great dish when people ask for the recipe! Thanks for fulfilling my craving and saving my wallet!!! :)

Claire — December 9, 2013 @ 8:59 am

Going to try these, I always use King Arthur cinnamon chips, the best. X

1. Pingback: Cinnamon Chip Scones » Tasty and Trim

2. Pingback: Chocolate Cinnamon Scones with Vanilla Sauce | How Sweet It Is

3. Pingback: Flavors of the Season « Blog is the New Black

4. Pingback: Blog is the New Black » Blog Archive » Cinnamon Chip Scones

5. Pingback: Scrumptious scones « Musings of a Midwestern Girl

6. Pingback: Maple Bacon Brown Sugar Scones | How Sweet It Is

7. Pingback: Numbers on the Scale « This Italian Family

8. Pingback: Cooking Challenge Day #40 – Cinnamon Chip Scones « Ella Rose Entertaining

9. Pingback: Almond Joy Scones | How Sweet It Is