I’d like to introduce you to these scones.

Almond Joy Scones I howsweeteats.com

There are a few reasons you may like them:

1. It’s sort of weird to eat Halloween candy for breakfast. I mean, I totally did it for 16 years of my life between the days of Nov 1st and 4th, when I developed the worst stomach ache of the century (yes, every single year) from eating too many Almond Joys and Snickers’. This is no Mallo Cup but it sure tastes like a treat, and you won’t look weird eating it.

2. They are fluffy and dense all at the same time. Scones are often touted as healthy and hey, I’m not about to shut that down. I think it’s because they have less sugar or something than muffins and face-sized cookies, but what do I know? Whatever… that’s fine by me. Especially when I cover them in tons… and tons… of calories.

3. While they were baking, I whipped up some bread made with brown butter. Scones are good for the creative mind. The scones made me do it. Thank the scones.

4. I finally found some cake-flavored vodka yesterday. After sampling a “fruit cake” (add fruit punch), a “cake for breakfast” (add iced coffee), a “cake tart” (add limeade), a “diet cake” (ha! add diet soda), and a “cake beer float” (umm hellllo yes…. add root beer), I (passed out after I) decided that you must hear about the scones today. I don’t know why… just thank the scones.

Almond Joy Scones I howsweeteats.com

I totally used to be one of those weirdos who hated scones. In fact, I’ve never been a huge fan of pastries. Except for pumpkin donuts. And fresh cherry glazed donuts. Annnnd… cheese danishes.

And cream puffs? Okay I’m done.

Almond Joy Scones I howsweeteats.com

Oh wait, one more.

Chocolate croissants.

Raise your hand if you think I need to make those.

In the meantime, I should probably take drizzling lessons. See above.

Almond Joy Scones I howsweeteats.com

But I can’t really help it if I’m heavy handed on the candy. It’s just how I am. And you can’t change me, darnit!

I made these scones sort of look like biscuits. I was bored of triangles. It happens. Make it happen.

Almond Joy Scones I howsweeteats.com

Almond Joy Scones

[adapted from these scones {in which post I use waaaay too many italics}]

makes 16 scones

2 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour

2/3 cup almond meal

1/3 cup granulated sugar

1/2 cup unsweetened flaked coconut

2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

3/4 cup cold butter (1 1/2 sticks), cut into small pieces

1 cup buttermilk

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 teaspoon coconut extract

raw turbinado sugar for sprinkling

3 ounces of chocolate, melted

Preheat oven to 425.

In large bowl combine flour, almond meal, sugar, coconut, baking soda, powder, and salt.. Cut in butter until it forms coarse crumbs with the flour mixture – I actually use my hands to combine and mash the butter in. Stir in buttermilk, coconut extract and vanilla extract. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently.

Divide dough in half and pat into 7-inch round circles.. Cut into 6 or 8 wedges, or use a round biscuit cutter. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with coarse sugar

Bake at 425 for 12-14 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool, then drizzle with melted chocolate.

Almond Joy Scones I howsweeteats.com

There is only one left and I’m about to wrestle someone for it.

174 Responses to “Almond Joy Scones.”

Amy @ A Little Nosh — September 10, 2011 @ 3:54 am

I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around a scone that’s not fruit-based, or pumpkin. Because damn do I love pumpkin scones.

Deanna @ DB and Jelly — September 10, 2011 @ 8:28 am

I would never have thought of turning candy into a scone! Such a great idea.

Molly @ RDexposed — September 10, 2011 @ 8:59 am

These are too cute!

Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine — September 10, 2011 @ 9:39 am

What a fun idea! I need to try these ASAP!

Shelly — September 10, 2011 @ 10:00 am

Can someone explain how to “cut” butter into the flour mix? I love baking but stick to pre-made mixes because I get aggravated when things don’t turn out. I tried making blueberry scones this morning and they are cooking now. They smell good but they look like giant globs rather than perty like the ones above. :) Thanks all!

• Jessica — September 10th, 2011 @ 8:14 pm

Hi Shelly! I definitely am not the expert when it comes to baking, but what I usually do it cut the butter into small squares when it’s cold, then use a fork to actually “mash” it into the flour. There is a thing called a pastry cutter too: http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-Dough-Blender/dp/B00004OCNK. I have one that was passed down to me from my grandma. It works, but I actually really like the fork thing too. I also use my hands and just sort of crumble the butter into the flour.

• Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) — September 13th, 2011 @ 5:32 pm

Another easy way to do this is to put the butter and dry mixture into a food processor and likely pulse it a few times. It helps keep your hot hands away from the butter too. Hope this helps!

Michelle — September 10, 2011 @ 11:49 am

These look awesome! So……you totally intrigued me with your brown butter bread….are you going to post about it??

Ali — September 10, 2011 @ 12:44 pm

I never though to make a circular scone! Love it- great pics! Can’t wait to try. Thanks for inspiration.

Chris at Hye Thyme Cafe — September 10, 2011 @ 4:17 pm

That’s funny, just as I was thinking someone would need to wrestle these away from me, I got to your comment over wrestling for the last one. :)

These not only sound delicious, but they look like they have a very nice height and texture to them as well. I adore scones and make them a lot, but that usually means adding different things to the same recipe. I really need to try other recipes. It’s just that the first time I had them was at High Tea at the Windsor Court Hotel in New Orleans, so I (almost) always seem to use their recipe.

I’ll definitely be keeping an eye out for almond meal so I can try these. And by the way, there is NOTHING wrong with your drizzle skills. ;)

misbah — September 11, 2011 @ 2:02 am

These are so delicious. On my must to make list.
    Misbah aka cupcakeluv

Emily — September 11, 2011 @ 8:29 am

Ha! My hand is totally raised for the chocolate croissant making! Chocolate + Croissant = <3

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — September 11, 2011 @ 12:26 pm

Mmmm, I have never had a scone before, but they look good!

Ashley@BakerbyNature — September 11, 2011 @ 12:57 pm

I too have once or twice claimed I’m “not into scones”… these are definitely mind changers! Oooohh the chocolate drizzle!

Hand raised for chocolate croissants!

Dena — September 11, 2011 @ 2:32 pm

Yes, these look great. But, my hand is raised for the chocolate croissants! My family is French and I’ve had the real thing. The croissant is flaky, buttery yumminess and when you bite through the chocolate and it mixes together in your mouth it’s a taste bud orgasm. *sigh* Please make some!

Audrey Ellen — September 11, 2011 @ 7:31 pm

somehow becuase scones arent as sweet as muffins we can all just go about pretending that they are not as bad for you as muffins. keep cutting that butter into the dough and dont listen to the haters.
    they look increds!

kyleen — September 11, 2011 @ 7:49 pm

These look great! And you don’t need drizzling lessons; I like the chocolate to smother the scone (:

Emily F. — September 11, 2011 @ 7:57 pm

1. If your drizzling skills don’t suit your fancy, just dip half in the chocolate. Or the top, like frosting. I’m personally a fan of the half-dip.

2. I saw your “cake batter” martinis, sans cake vodka! Since, I have also hunted. I have found that Pinnacle doesn’t smell or taste as cakey as UV. If you smell the Pinnacle first, it smells sorta cakey. Then move onto the UV. It will smell REALLY cakey. Go back to the pinnacle and it smells unflavored.

3. I promise I am not a drunk. My roommate and I decided to make white Russians with cake vodka, and when we met at home we ended up with 2 things of vodka.

p.s: The drinks were delicious. :)

Melinda — September 12, 2011 @ 1:40 am

These look great. And I just saw the coffee shop special today was an almond joy latte. It must be in the air!

Kim in MD — September 12, 2011 @ 8:47 am

Wow…you come up with the most incredible recipes! Oh- and “There is only one left and I’m about to wrestle someone for it.”- you crack me up! :-)

jennifer @ peanut butter and peppers — September 12, 2011 @ 10:15 am

All I can say is I need to make these!!!

Sierra @ Posh Meets Pavement — September 12, 2011 @ 11:20 am

Please give us a full report on the verdict of all the cake vodka creations. Sorry, but I cannot think about scones after you mentioned cake vodka

sarah@spinach and spice — September 12, 2011 @ 2:55 pm

If these are anything like Mama Pea’s Almond Joy Cookie Bars, I guarantee they won’t last more than a night in this household :) Great recipe!

Stacey! — September 12, 2011 @ 5:45 pm

Okay, I please please please PRETTY PLEASE would love for you to make cinnamon sugar croissants. Like, croissants stuffed with buttery cinnamon sugar… not coated in it. There’s a deli in NYC called Champs that sells them, and we eat them up like crazy every time we visit!

Kat @ Living Like the Kings — September 12, 2011 @ 8:37 pm

Those look seriously incredible.

Erika — September 13, 2011 @ 2:11 am

Not only do I agree that chocolate croissants are in order, but I will need to try these out while we wait.

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli — September 14, 2011 @ 8:06 am

Oh my, these look fantastic! And BEEEEEEEEAutiful photography…as if I’m surprised! ;)

Question: What kind of coconut extract do you use? I’ve got the Frontier brand and I swear it tastes rancid or something…and I’ve only had it for about 4 or 5 months!

• Jessica — September 14th, 2011 @ 8:15 am

I think mine is McCormicks!

Amy — September 14, 2011 @ 10:22 pm

These. look. awesome.

Rachel — October 1, 2011 @ 3:15 pm

dessert scones are the best way to go! these sound beyond fabulous

Teddi — January 12, 2012 @ 4:12 am

Where do you find “Almond meal” for the recipe? (What, actually is almond meal?) Thanks.

DK — January 29, 2012 @ 2:53 pm

I found this web site to make my own fresh almond meal…

I have had Almond Joy scones at a deli once, and they were to die for. Definitely making these today!

marla — August 25, 2012 @ 12:33 am

Love that chocolate drizzle!

Taryn — March 21, 2013 @ 9:03 pm

I have been meaning to try these for months and finally did tonight! They taste like heaven. Wasn’t sure how they could be fluffy and dense at the same time, but THEY ARE! so, so yummy!

puja sharma — September 5, 2013 @ 3:18 pm

is 1 cup flour = 140 gms and
    1 cup buttermilk=240 ml for ur recipe…pls help as am little confuse abt the measurements in cups…thank u… :-)

1. Pingback: fun facts friday… version 4.0

2. Pingback: Tuesday Things. | How Sweet It Is

3. Pingback: How To Make Croissants [Chocolate Croissants, Pumpkin Spice Croissants, and Cinnamon Sugar Croissants] | How Sweet It Is

4. Pingback: Blood Orange Sugared Scones | How Sweet It Is