Mother Lovett was famous for her coconut cream pie. I was famous for eating it.

Since I have barely mastered her pie crust recipe, I have yet to make a coconut cream pie.

In that case, I made the next best thing – coconut cream cupcakes!

I love coconut. I will happily eat it in anything.

My husband on the other hand, hates coconut. I’ve attempted to sneak it into dishes and desserts, but he always finds it. The only reason I attempt sneaking it in is because that strategy works with other foods he does not like, such as ricotta cheese. He thinks he hates it, but he has eaten it many times. Same goes for figs. And almonds.

Last night, he told me that he didn’t like ‘broiled’ chicken. I then went through a list of dishes that he had eaten in the past month with chicken that had been broiled – wraps, quesadillas, the tuscan lemon chicken that almost burnt our house down …

Yes, I shot down that one.

Alas, I still don’t think he will ever go for my beloved coconut. Perhaps if I smother it with 6 different cuts of meat, he might?

I adapted my own recipe for vanilla bean cupcakes, using some coconut milk and heavy cream in the batter.

The cake came out creamy and rich, even before I added the frosting.

The toasted coconut garnish topped it off. I love coconut, but love it toasted even more.

Coconut Cream Cupcakes

makes about 16 cupcakes

1 cup sugar

1/2 cup butter

2 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 1/2 cups flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 cup coconut milk

1/4 cup heavy cream

3/4 cup shredded coconut

Preheat oven to 350.

Cream butter, sugar, and eggs together until fluffy. Add vanilla and mix.

Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. Add half of the dry ingredients, mixing until just combined. Add the coconut milk and heavy cream. Once mixed, add remaining dry ingredients. Fold in shredded coconut.

Pour into cupcake tins and bake for 20-25 mins at 350. Let cool, then frost.

Coconut Cream Frosting

1 stick butter, softened

2-8 oz blocks of cream cheese, softened

1.5 – 2 lbs powdered sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla

4 oz package Jello instead coconut cream pudding

toasted coconut for garnish

Cream butter and cream cheese. Add powdered sugar gradually and mix. Add in instant pudding mix. Mix until desired consistency. Frost cupcake and top with toasted coconut.

As I was writing this, I just remembered that my husband has eaten coconut. Sam’s Club makes a coconut shrimp that is battered and fried and artery-clogging delicious.
This just proves my theory that he has eaten everything that he says he hates.
I am always right.

64 Responses to “Coconut Cream Cupcakes.”

megabrooke — August 31, 2011 @ 4:00 pm

1.5-2lbs of powdered sugar… does that mean a box and a half? didn’t know to measure it by weight!

• Jessica — August 31st, 2011 @ 4:11 pm

I never buy it in a box, is a box 1 lb??? I would just do 4-5 cups too, same thing. :)

• Haley — November 8th, 2011 @ 10:59 am

When powdered sugar is sold in a bag, the bag is 2 lbs. Usually about 5 cups worth (give or take) HTH :)

megabrooke — August 31, 2011 @ 4:24 pm

Oh yeah, I always get it in the box, which is s pound. I never end to using it enough to get it in the bigger bag… anyway, thanks!

jen — October 7, 2011 @ 3:45 pm

Can someone send me a very good recipe for coconut custard pie. I love coconut, but I do not like the coconut cream pie.
    Thanks,
    Jen

• Alyssa — November 7th, 2011 @ 5:04 pm

Jen — here’s a recipe that I have found and rely on for making coconut pie. I refuse anything else.
      It’s called coconut cream pie, but the filling is more of a custard than anything. The substitutions I use are as followed:
      1 can coconut milk + enough (usually just shy of 1 1/2 cups) half and half to equal 3 cups
      3 egg yolks instead of 2 eggs
      1 package frozen coconut for going IN the pie (if you can’t find it, Angel flake works great; frozen just adds a fresher texture and a little less sweetness)
      1/2 cup cornstarch instead of flour (I’ve used both and there’s not much of a taste difference, but cornstarch helps it set up better and doesn’t clump up like the flour does while stirring)

Hope this helps!

hayley — January 31, 2012 @ 11:32 am

Hi! Just wondering for the icing, the jello, are we to put in vanilla pudding jello mix ?

nabs — March 11, 2012 @ 12:46 am

I’m a bit of a coconut addict, as well as a regular stalker of your blog, and I made these my first weekend back from college this semester, and I have to say, they kind of made my life. It was like an explosion of sweet coconut with a perfect tang from the cream cheese frosting and I’m in looooove with the taste. Thanks!

1. Pingback: Quadruple Chocolate Loaf Cake. | How Sweet It Is

2. Pingback: Flour, Flour, Flour.. « Life Undeveloped.

3. Pingback: birthday cupcakes, fries, and shakes! | Skrinkering Hearts