Please update your google readers!

We’ve been making our own pizza for years now, and I really think that it beats a lot of the pizza places around our home.

I always make a whole wheat crust, and it is 100% whole wheat. I find it is different from many wheat pizza crust recipes that I see, because many of them call for all-purpose flour.

I don’t add any white flour at all. The crust is nutty tasting, and a bit thinner and dense. We love thin crust, but if you prefer a more doughy crust, you may want to substitute some all-purpose flour for half of the wheat.

After the dough has risen, I roll it out then form it onto a baking sheet.

We love square pizza slices. :)

I just add a bit of tomato sauce in order to not overshadow the barbeque chicken.

My hubby loves tomato sauce. Me, not so much. He would swim in a vat of tomato sauce if he could. I wouldn’t join him. You know how veggies scare me.

Next come the toppings.

After the tomato sauce, I add on a layer of mozzarella cheese. Then comes the shredded chicken and carmelized onions.

The onions are a hit. They make the pizza. You gotta try.

Equal drizzles of ranch and barbeque sauce go on next. Homemade barbeque sauce, to be exact!

When it comes to pizzas, I use my same rule of thumb as I do with most dishes. I always make the wheat crust, and if it is just my husband and I, the toppings are usually reduced-fat options.

If I am making it for a party or a group of friends, I use full- fat toppings. The cheese always melts a bit nicer.

And I like my friends and family fatter.

To finish it off, I use a bit more mozzarella cheese, then a cheddar-jack blend. I love the cheddar combined with the chicken and barbeque sauce. It adds a nice, sharp flavor.

After about 20 minutes in the oven, it becomes warm, cheesy and crisp. The barbeque chicken flavor is fabulous!

The crust is thin with a fantastic, nutty wheat flavor. It is nice and crispy, too. I find it much more flavorful than regular pizza crust.

There are some wonderful flavors on the pizza, too- cheesy and salty, with a hint of sweetness from the barbeque sauce and onions.

Whole Wheat BBQ Chicken Pizza

100% Whole Wheat Dough

1 packet dry active yeast

3/4 cup warm water

~2 cups 100% whole wheat flour

2 tablespoons honey

2 tablespoons olive oil + more to rub on bowl

1/2 teaspoon salt

Mix yeast and warm water and let sit until foamy. In a separate bowl, mix flour and salt together. Once yeast is foamy, add in olive oil and honey and stir. Mix into flour and kneed to create a dough. You may need to add a bit more flour if dough is too sticky.

Place in an olive oil-rubbed bowl and cover. Let rise for 2-3 hours.

3 tablespoons olive oil

2 cloves garlic, minced

1/2 cup tomato sauce

2 cups mozzarella cheese

1 1/2 cups cheddar-jack cheese

1/2 cup parmesan cheese

8 ounces grilled, shredded chicken

2 medium red onions, carmelized

1/2 cup barbeque sauce

1/2 cup ranch dressing

Preheat oven to 400.

Form crust into baking sheet or pizza sheet. Brush with olive oil and minced garlic. Add tomato sauce and a 1 cup of mozzarella cheese. Top with shredded chicken, carmelized onions, barbeque sauce, and ranch dressing. Add remaining mozzerella cheese and cheddar-jack. Sprinkle with parmesan.

Bake at 400 for 20 minutes. Serve hot.

What are your favorite pizza toppings? We also love buffalo chicken pizza. Most of our pizzas are packed with meat, since I live with The Protein King.

If only I could convince him that the stuffed turkey is some form of protein. He’d probably eat that, too.

I love a good ole’ plain cheese pizza. Cheese is where it’s at.

With some bacon on it, too. Everything’s better with bacon.

75 Responses to “Whole Wheat BBQ Chicken Pizza”

Katie @ cozydelicious — January 11, 2010 @ 6:54 pm

My husband LOVES BBQ chicken pizza. Usually we just throw in the towel on healthy and crumble some crisp bacon over the top as well. But maybe if I used whole wheat crust it would cancel out the bacon? Hmm… I’ll have to think about that one!

Sara — January 11, 2010 @ 7:01 pm

My boyfriend LOVES BBQ chicken pizza so I will to try and make this for him! It would be a great surprise!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — January 11, 2010 @ 7:07 pm

I’ve never thought to make square pizza in a baking pan…that’s a great idea! I LOVE all whole wheat dough…so dense and hearty!

Sarah — January 11, 2010 @ 7:18 pm

I am also a huge Buffalo Chicken Pizza fan. It started when I first met my husband and he would make that for me and so the fascination began. I love making my own pizza because you can control the toppings and flavor.

Jamie — January 11, 2010 @ 7:42 pm

WOW! That looks awesome. I made pizza dough once and it was a disaster. But this i really want to try!

My favorite pizza toppings are veggies (I’m not afraid) :)
    Spinach, tomato, mushrooms, broccoli, onions, peppers, you name it!

sophia — January 11, 2010 @ 8:21 pm

This puts the CPK version of BBQ chicken pizza to shame. Ooh la la!
    My favorite topping so far: fresh figs, goat cheese, gruyere, reduced balsamic, prosciutto. Heaven!

TinaFromTexas — January 11, 2010 @ 9:20 pm

I do the exact same thing with company! Full fat version for them, low-fat version for us. :)

Barbara Bakes — January 11, 2010 @ 9:23 pm

My kids love making pizza at home, but we need to get more creative. This looks great!

Karin — January 12, 2010 @ 4:27 am

Home made pizza is so fabulous and I just realized that I haven’t made it in ages! Shocker!!

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — January 12, 2010 @ 4:46 am

I like making my friends fatter, too. Fat and happy!

Paige (running around normal) — January 12, 2010 @ 6:00 am

Ooh, I’ve been looking for a good w.w. pizza crust recipe! I’m not a huge fan of my own. I’ll try this one, thanks! :D

Casey @ Spicy&Sweet — January 12, 2010 @ 7:25 am

Ok…LOVE BBQ chicken pizza, and this looks insanely delicious!! LOVE your blog, girl!

stephchows — January 12, 2010 @ 8:33 am

ooo yum yum yum!! I love bbq chicken pizza and whole wheat crust is the best!

JocelynEatsFresh — January 13, 2010 @ 4:53 am

I wish I would have seen this yesterday! I made pizza yesterday and used a half whole wheat half white flour recipe..oh well!
    This looks super yummy!

Jenny — January 13, 2010 @ 7:51 am

I LOVE BBQ Chicken pizza! Such an awesome flavor combination. And I love that pizza dough recipe, I bet it’s delicious :)

Lara (Thinspired) — January 13, 2010 @ 1:13 pm

I hate how so many homemade crusts use white flour, too. I have a similar recipe to yours but I also add some wheat germ for more texture. I like it nutty!
    Usually I just do boring homemade pizzas (cheese, sauce, veg); I’ve never thought to make a BBQ chicken one at home. So many great recipes and ideas on your blog lately!

Anna — January 18, 2010 @ 5:05 pm

This looks great–the perfect Friday night meal. Is it wrong that I can’t have pizza with out beer? Mmmm.

Alison — February 14, 2011 @ 4:01 am

I’m surprised you didn’t add bacon to this recipe! BBQ Chicken with bacon is the best! Pineapple is pretty good too…

Jordana R — February 24, 2011 @ 8:50 pm

This looks INSANE! I have an obsession with bbq chicken pizza. lately I’ve been making bbq chicken quesadillas almost daily, I even have my 7yr old daughter hooked lol. I plan to make this very very soon!!

1. Pingback: What I’m Diggin Wednesday & Monday’s Morsels!! Double WhammY! « Blah, Blah, Blog

2. Pingback: now that’s what I call a weekend « Greens And Jeans