I am not a coffee drinker, unless said coffee is filled with lots of rubbish that is not ideal for daily drinking – think enormous amounts of sugar, heavy cream, syrups, and fabulous whipped toppings.

But, that doesn’t mean I’ll pass up coffee-flavored baked goods or ice cream. Those things are probably healthier than my choice of coffee-flavored beverage. So of course, I will indulge.

I made my from-scratch brownie recipe this weekend, without even thinking about adding a frosting. I usually don’t like my brownies frosted. I prefer the flaky, lightly crisp crust that forms on the top – it is the best part.

I have a jar of Trader Joe’s instant coffee. Don’t ask why. Just know that it is because I am infamous for buying things that I don’t need and will never use. Things like running shoes, a french press, and skinny jeans.

But I want to like coffee. All the cool kids like it. Why can’t I?

I decided the best way to start liking it would be to top these brownies with coffee-flavored frosting.

It ended up tasting more like a cappuccino, which is even better in my book.

This is the same brownie recipe that I used for the bailey’s brownies, and I don’t think it is even possible to choose a winner. They are both so delicious. What would be even more amazing is making the bailey’s brownies and topping them with this frosting.

So incredibly indulgent.

The best part of these brownies is that Mr. Moustache does share my dislike for coffee, but doesn’t share my love for coffee-flavored goodies, which meant he refused these.

I was actually in the process of making them on Sunday when he was upstairs lanscaping that gosh-awful thing on his face.

See, the world works in mysterious ways – I was already cooking things that he dislikes. It’s called karma.

Brownies

1 stick unsalted butter

2-3 squares baking chocolate

2 cups sugar

2 eggs

1 cup flour

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350.

Melt butter and baking sqaures in a microwave safe bowl. In the mixing bowl, cream melted butter and chocolate mixture. Add in sugar and vanilla and beat until fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Add in eggs, beating one at a time. Add flour and stir just until combined. Fold in chocolate chips.

Pour into greased 9 x 13 baking dish (I used a 10 x 10 square cake pan).  Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until just barely done. Cool before frosting.

Cappuccino Frosting

2 sticks of butter, softened

1 lb powdered sugar (or more if you want it thicker)

1/4 cup cocoa powder

1 tablespoon instant coffee powder

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Cream butter in an electric mixer. Add sugar, cocoa, and coffee gradually, until desired consistency is reached. Stir in vanilla extract. If frosting is too thick, add milk in 1 tablespoon increments to thin it out. If it is too thin, add more powdered sugar.

Spread on brownies once they have cooled.

Last night, in a voice that only resembled one of a 5-year old, Mr. Moustache opened the fridge and said ‘but…how do I make…things?’

He tried to bribe me with the promise of daily, 20-minute back massages, but I didn’t cave. He may act like a toddler at times, but his arthritic hands resemble those of an 80-year old. I knew that promise wouldn’t hold up.

Then he tried to remind me that he would starve. I thought I was the dramatic one in the family.

For now, I’m enjoying propping my feet up and watching mindless trash on TV while he makes dinners from bags after a long day of work. He must really love that ‘stache.

90 Responses to “Cappuccino Brownies.”

Kenzie (Healthy Purpose) — March 3, 2010 @ 5:25 pm

I happen to be a cool kid who likes coffee… but I think I’d like one of those cupcakes more!

Angela @ A Healthy Fit — March 3, 2010 @ 6:54 pm

Your blog is like crack to me. I see my future…and it is me in the kitchen, in my apron, trying not to lick the bowl clean before these brownies go into the oven!!! Or trying not to eat all of the frosting before frosting these bad boys. Where do you come up with this stuff?!?!?

Karla — March 3, 2010 @ 7:33 pm

Ooh these look wonderful!
    If you’re looking for another coffee flavored treat to make… I made Pioneer Woman’s Coffee Cake Literally not so long ago: http://foodologie.com/2010/02/14/wake-up-and-smell-the-coffee-cake/

Pink Panda — March 3, 2010 @ 8:40 pm

I made some cappucino brownies a few weeks ago and they were really crappy, but these look fantastic.

I hate coffee in general too, but like any food that is coffee flavored.

Sarah — March 3, 2010 @ 10:31 pm

Oooohh! Those look so good! I love coffee, I love chocolate, and I like them even better together. What’s the texture of your brownies? Fudgy, chewy…?

Emma @CakeMistress — March 4, 2010 @ 2:03 am

Oh wow!! These brownies contain all my favourite things, particularly if I add a little Baileys ;)

Shannon — March 4, 2010 @ 4:43 am

Its 6am and now I am craving a brownie! Its going to be a long day :)

Jess (Fit Chick in the City) — March 4, 2010 @ 5:12 am

Ha ha! I love it. Maybe he’ll get so hungry he’ll cave. =)

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — March 4, 2010 @ 5:43 am

Those brownies would be lovely with the big cup of coffee I’m drinking right now. I’ll be right over!

love2eatinpa — March 4, 2010 @ 6:10 am

omg, those look so delish. i feel my butt growing just looking at them! :)

marla {family fresh cooking} — March 4, 2010 @ 6:43 am

I love everything coffee, so I am sold on these brownies! I actually do have instant TJ’s coffee in my house ’cause when I am up in 4am I can’t make ANY noise in the house. As a lover of fine coffee, I cringe to admit that I use my TJ’s instant. It wakes me up and gives me what I need for the 1st cup of the day!
    I can’t imagine drinking my steamy cup with one or two of these brownies!

Nicole (dishin') — March 4, 2010 @ 7:35 am

These look awesome. Oh, how I love frosting!!!

Katie — March 4, 2010 @ 9:06 am

This mustache business is really engaging. I look forward to opening your blog and seeing if he shaved it or not…I love the way you’re boycotting. If my husband ever grows up and develops the ability to grow that beard that he so badly wants, I will use your strategy.

By the way, those brownies look like heaven in my book. Anything coffee flavored gets my vote.

Jessica — March 4, 2010 @ 9:52 am

These brownies look unbelieveable! I am going to try these this weekend. I LOVE coffee but have a hard time drinking and this will be a PERFECT alternative to get my coffee fix. :) Thanks sooo much for the recipe.

Debbie — March 4, 2010 @ 10:49 am

Got to make these! Anything with coffee has got me REVVED UP!

Thanks!

bridget {bake at 350} — March 4, 2010 @ 10:56 am

These look beyond delicious!!!

Pure2Raw Twins — March 4, 2010 @ 1:29 pm

Girl you did out did yourself again. Seriously these looks great! YUMMY xoxo

Kelly — March 4, 2010 @ 5:47 pm

omg reading this post is giving me a flashback of us getting cappuccinos and wondering if we should go to the hospital because we couldn’t control the jitters.

and i guess i’ve been busier than i thought, i had no clue eddie was growing a ginger mustache, i think we need to see pics! haha

Scorpio Woman — March 4, 2010 @ 6:36 pm

I’m not really a fan of brownies but this frosting look so decadent mmmmm :p

heather — March 5, 2010 @ 6:18 am

ive decided that since these are coffeey and coffee tends to be a morning treat (although as you know, i love my coffee ALL TIMES of the day) that these are acceptable breakfast food.

GrapeSugar — March 5, 2010 @ 10:18 am

What I wouldn’t give for one of these right now!

Megan — March 5, 2010 @ 11:32 am

I am making these as soon as Lent is over! And, I’m from Pittsburgh, too. LOVE the blog. Are you a fan of Dozen?!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — March 5, 2010 @ 12:33 pm

Yum… I love coffee, and these cappuccino brownies look incredible.

fragolina — July 16, 2010 @ 1:14 am

first time visiting your blog, like your recipes, you got alot of muffins recipes, yummiii. just wanna ask about the 3 squares baking chocolate, how much in grams, and i can use usual dark tablets?! thank you.

• Jessica — July 16th, 2010 @ 5:39 am

I am not quite sure what dark tablets are? I have never heard of them? And I believe that each square is 1 ounce.

• fragolina — July 20th, 2010 @ 1:06 am

Thank you, I meant by dark tablets, the dark chocolate we usually eat.

Rachel — February 27, 2011 @ 4:54 pm

Oh my. I made (a twist on) these last night. Wow. I am in trouble. Definitely better send them to work with hubby. Do typically make your frosting with a whole cup of butter and a pound of powdered sugar? I used only one stick, per Betty Crocker’s recipe and used more milk….in (a very feeble) attempt to make them healthier. Your frosting looks more fluffy than mine though (pics on my site), would that be because of the butter/sugar ratio?

Jessica — July 8, 2011 @ 3:08 pm

Hi there, these look delicious! I wanted to try making them, but I wasn’t sure what kind of Baker’s chocolate you use–unsweet, German or semi-sweet? Judging by the amount of sugar I figured it was unsweet but I wanted to double check. Thanks!

• Jessica — July 9th, 2011 @ 9:05 am

I use unsweetened!

Simon — April 24, 2012 @ 6:13 am

How many brownies do you get :D

1. Pingback: Cheesy Chicken Quesadillas. | How Sweet It Is