When I went to Baltimore for Fitbloggin’, I had one of the most memorable salads ever.

Yes folks, I said salad.

I may not like veggies, and rarely order salad (unless slathered with bacon and cheese), but when it comes to a caesar salad, I jump on it.

I looooove caesar salad.

Granted, it is usually one the least heathiest salads on the menu, which is probably why I love it.

This may sound like a boring, old salad to you. But it was special. It was grilled. I knew I needed to make it at home.

If you have never tried a grilled salad, I am telling you now that you must.

As is tonight – you must make this tonight!

There is nothing like the smoky flavor from the grill.

The slightly charred lettuce stays crisp, and you can taste the grilled flavor throughout the entire salad.

I think Ashley and Kacy agreed that it was one of the best salads we had ever tasted. I talked about it for 3 solid days.

I can be a bit obsessive.

The key is to keep the romaine hearts in one piece – they will grill better this way. You can chop them up right before you devour them.

Grilled Caesar Salad

inspired by Ryleighs in Baltimore

serves 2

2 full romaine hearts

sprinkle of salt & pepper

2 tablespoons olive oil

1/4 cup caesar dressing (for everyday use, we love Bolthouse!)

2 tablespoons parmesan cheese

multigrain croutons

Preheat grill.

Brush each heart with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and place on grill for 2-3 minutes. Fill 2 plates with romaine and drizzle with caesar dressing. Top with parmesan and croutons.

Garlic Multigrain Croutons

2-3 slices multigrain bread (I used Tuscany bread)

2 tablespoons olive oil

salt & pepper

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

Preheat oven to 425.

Cup bread into bite-size chunks. Toss with oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Lay on baking sheet. Bake for 6-8 minutes, or until golden brown.

Mr. How Sweet and I love this salad so much that we have eaten it 2 nights in a row now.

I am not sure if I will ever be able to eat another salad if it isn’t grilled. Mr. How Sweet on the other hand, can’t even tell that it is grilled. He also can’t tell the difference between a chicken leg and a strip steak.

Hey, it all goes to the same place.

73 Responses to “Grilled Caesar Salad.”

Ashley — March 30, 2010 @ 7:13 pm

Grilled romaine heads are AHmazing!!!!! mmmmm :)

Jenn (www.j3nn.net) — March 30, 2010 @ 7:41 pm

That looks soooo good! I love ALL salads. So please, whichever salads you snub in the future, send to me? :D

Jenn

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — March 30, 2010 @ 7:41 pm

Well at least one good thing came outta Fitbloggin, the salad idea :)
    Girl thanks for the encouragement on the pics…I am just scared of the haters. But I think I am gonna do it…still on the fence a bit…

xoox

Michele | aka Raw Juice Girl — March 30, 2010 @ 11:01 pm

Wow.

You’re really passionate about this salad – must be delish! :-D

Jess (Fit Chick in the City) — March 31, 2010 @ 4:19 am

You loved a salad!!!

Katrina — March 31, 2010 @ 4:43 am

This looks fabulous! Can’t wait to try!!

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — March 31, 2010 @ 5:29 am

Simple salads rock! I’m a little obsessed with salad for lunch these days…they’re filling and they take a little bit more time to enjoy then my usual protein shake and a side of almonds!

Naomi (onefitfoodie) — March 31, 2010 @ 5:50 am

ahh I wish I was there with you gals, enjoying that salad!! it looks so awesome! i would have never thought ot GRILL salad, but why not?!?! you break all boundries jess. SO GOOD!

Amanda — March 31, 2010 @ 6:38 am

WOW Jessica!! I love this!! How dang creative and yummy!! You rock my culinary world. :)

Blessings!
    Amanda

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — March 31, 2010 @ 7:35 pm

I have heard of grilled salads, but have never given one a try. I love that smokey grill flavor, though, so I think I’ll have to give it a try. Yum!

Art and Appetite — April 1, 2010 @ 2:27 am

I’ve never had grilled salad! This looks really good though. Now, all I want to do is grill salads!

Angela @ A Healthy Fit — April 1, 2010 @ 6:22 am

Grilled salads are awesome. I had my first one at some restaurant in Irvine and I totally need to re-create it at home. You’ve inspired me to get the ingredients for it on my next grocery trip!

Kathy — August 13, 2011 @ 12:51 pm

This is one of the best salad’s we’ve had!!! Ceasar is one of our absolute favorites. BUT grilling it sends it into a completely different stratosphere! WOW! This is a must have on anyone’s summer menu. We also found Bolthouse dressings…DELISH!!!

Jenna — May 14, 2012 @ 9:27 pm

So I’m so excited to try this salad. I’ve been thinking about a place in Baltimore (I used to live there) called Saute that had the MOST AMAZING grilled ceasar salad…any chance this was the restaurant you were at while in MD? If not, the next time you are in balitmore, you must hit Saute and try theirs! Thanks for the trip down memory lane…Looking forward to trying your recipe!

Sarah — May 25, 2014 @ 5:05 pm

Woah throwback post! We are grilling salads tomorrow for Memorial Day and I am wondering how hot the grill should be????

1. Pingback: Easy Chicken Salad Recipes

2. Pingback: Good Eats Girl » Blog Archive » Less talk, more eat…

3. Pingback: Crab Pretzels. | How Sweet It Is

4. Pingback: A salad to give Thanks for… - Sixtyone45

5. Pingback: Puerto Rican Burgers & Grilled Vegetables & Grilled Caesar Salad | What's Cooking In My Kitchen

6. Pingback: 7 alimente despre care nu stiam ca la gratar sunt delicioase