I seem to have a bit of an issue with brownies lately.

I am not even in love with brownies. When it comes to dessert, I usually opt for something much more elaborate, like a giant piece of tiramisu or a fancy cheesecake slice.

Those kind of desserts fit my dramatic personality.

I just find it amazing how one simple brownie can be transformed with a single topping or addition.

While these brownies may be lacking booze and coffee, I think most would agree that any form of chocolate topped with peanut butter equals comfort food.

And speaking of comfort, these brownies added some padding to my bottom. You’ve been warned.

Mr. How Sweet saw these pictures last night and claimed that he never got to try one of these brownies. He has a terrible memory.

But this time he was correct. For once.

He never got to try one because he was too busy growing a nasty crustache while watching the Daytona 500 and acting like a redneck.

I really wish all of you could see the 600 dyecast car ‘collection’ that has taken over our home.

Last night, I was quizzing Mr. How Sweet on his ‘favorites.’

Wait, you mean we should have known this stuff about each other before we go married? Oh well.

Anyway, I asked him what his favorite beverage was. He replied, ‘I really like water with those Target drink mixes in them.’

I said, ‘I really like water too, it is my favorite thing to drink.’

Five minutes later, I asked him what he thought my favorite beverage was. He responded with ‘I don’t know, that watermelon martini?’

‘I just told you water was my favorite drink 5 minutes ago!’

Obviously, Mr. How Sweet suffers from a short term memory. Otherwise known as being from the male sex.

I forgive him, though – he is an excellent gift-giver – gifts which usually include Godiva and shoes. That more than makes up for it.

I see myself making these brownies again in the near future so Mr. How Sweet gets a taste.

They are so memorable, I don’t think he will forget that he ate them.

And it will also give me an excuse to devour the entire pan and blame it on him and his lack of memory sneak a bite.

Brownies

1 stick unsalted butter

2-3 squares baking chocolate

2 cups sugar

4 eggs

1 cup flour

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350.

Melt butter and baking sqaures in a microwave safe bowl. In the mixing bowl, cream melted butter and chocolate mixture. Add in sugar and vanilla and beat until fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Add in eggs, beating one at a time. Add flour and stir just until combined. Fold in chocolate chips.

Pour into greased 9 x 13 baking dish (I used a 10 x 10 square cake pan).  Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until just barely done. Cool before frosting.

Peanut Butter Frosting

1 1/2 sticks butter, softened

1/2 cup creamy peanut butter

1 pound powdered sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla

1-2 tablespoons milk

Cream butter and peanut butter together. Gradually add in powdered sugar and vanilla. Add milk 1 tablespoon at a time. If frosting is too thick, add more milk. If it is too thin, add more sugar.

Frost brownies once they have cooled.

Are you just dying to know why Mr. How Sweet has a stuffed turkey, what meal is his favorite, and why he keeps a crusty moustache when food gets stuck in it?

Ask away. It’s time for a little Mr. How Sweet Q & A.

87 Responses to “Peanut Butter Fudge Brownies.”

Brittany — March 11, 2010 @ 8:34 pm

Wow I don’t even like brownies that much, but these looks amazing!!!

Katie — March 11, 2010 @ 8:37 pm

Nothing better than pb and chocolate. Also, the crustache is hilarious every time you mention it.

Ellen — March 11, 2010 @ 9:00 pm

YUM! Looking at delicious brownie pics at 11pm is a bit dangerous and definitley not helping my sweet craving!

Jessica @ The Process of Healing — March 11, 2010 @ 9:02 pm

Girl, you should be arrested. Those brownies should be illegal!!! And off I go to make them… haha I seriously will do very soon. I LOVE brownies and i’m a nut-butter addict so you know… what could be better?! Plus, that’s my mom’s favorite combination so I think I just may make them for her to say thank you for all she does for me :)

sophia — March 11, 2010 @ 9:47 pm

I’m not even surprised that you don’t go for brownies as much as say, a Godiva chocolate cheesecake with all the works. You’re a Queen, and you know it! ;)
    That said, you sure know how to dramatize a simple brownie, too!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — March 11, 2010 @ 9:53 pm

Those brownies look SO moist!!!

Fit Chick in the City — March 12, 2010 @ 5:05 am

Oh husbands and their short term memories! Frustrating and funny at the same time.

Sue — March 12, 2010 @ 7:37 am

I made the brownies yesterday. Must have guessed wrong on a few things because they did not turn out as I had hoped. The directions call for 2 – 3 baking chocolate. I used 2 squares, or 2 oz of unsweetened chocolate. Think this made them too pale and lacked the chocolate flavor. Why the range on ingredients?
    Also, how do you cream something when it is melted? I tried, but melted butter and chocolate just didn’t cream together. So when I added the sugar, it just became coarse – think sand texture. Once the eggs were added it came together.
    The frosting worked perfectly and saved the somewhat overdone (35 min was way too long in a 9×13 pan) concoction.
    Would love to try again.

• Jessica — March 12th, 2010 @ 7:51 am

Hey Sue – sorry this didn’t turn out! I know how frustrating that is when you are excited about baking something. I copied this recipe straight from my mom’s recipe box, and it had 2-3 squares of chocolate. I usually use 2, and I use the Baker’s squares. I melt them in the microwave with the butter, then immediately transfer them to my mixer and let it roll. I probably cream it for 2-3 minutes, and it turns a pale ‘brownish’ color. Did you melt the butter and chocolate together? The only thing I can think of is that maybe the chocolate sat out after it was melted and became firm, or possibly your mixing bowl was really cold and firmed it up??

Here is the initial post I did on these – they included marshmallows. Sorry for the yucky pictures, I did it when I first started blogging. Maybe try the marshmallows with the brownies and see how they come out? http://www.howsweeteats.com/2009/10/07/oooey-gooey-fudgey-brownies/

Please keep me updated!!

Joan — March 12, 2010 @ 12:40 pm

I have gained weight just looking at the pictures. Yummy!

Vanessa — April 27, 2010 @ 12:16 pm

Jessica,

So this last weekend I had a gethering and decided to make a bunch of mini desserts. One of the things I made was your brownies with PB frosting. I decided the best and easiest way for people to enjoy these were to bake them in a greased muffin tin and then pipe the frosting on top.

Well, the brownies came out ok with an interesting twist… the middle of them actually sank in. Now if I had decided to try these brownies with out the frosting I would have been in a mild version of panic but since I had the frosting I decided to make my own version of a peanut butter cup and fill in the center with the frosting.

The outsides were firm and allowed for this to work out perfectly, i just told people I had done it on purpose :)

Thanks for the great recipies!

-Nessa

• Jessica — April 27th, 2010 @ 12:40 pm

Ohmigosh!!
      I am glad the frosting was there to cover everything up. ;)

Ashley — November 19, 2010 @ 9:56 pm

Hey! I made these last night and followed them to a T, but they turned out too light and not chocolate-y enough. I used 2 squares baker’s chocolate since the recipe called for 2-3 — I would suggest altering it to read 3-4 instead. Probably 4 if you’re really shooting for the dark brownies you show in the photo.

Sara — February 3, 2011 @ 6:10 pm

HOLY COW, these look so enticing…I want one now!
    But I do have a question. Why is it that all the yummy stuff (brownies and cookies….all baked goods) have to have butter and milk?!
    Do you know any good ones that don’t require butter? It is so hard to be allergic to milk!

• Jessica — February 3rd, 2011 @ 8:20 pm

Have you checked out any of the vegan blogs? There are many that don’t use milk/butter!

• Sara — February 4th, 2011 @ 7:56 pm

I haven’t been able to find any. Do you follow any?

Jennie — April 20, 2011 @ 1:46 pm

Has anyone else tried to make these? I tried last night and they were horrible! They looked nothing like the pictures and seemed to have way too much sugar in them.

• Jessica — April 20th, 2011 @ 1:47 pm

Hi Jennie…
      Can you give me some more detail? I make this brownie recipe all the time and they come out great. They are a family staple.

• Jennie — April 20th, 2011 @ 1:53 pm

I bake all the time and I followed the recipe exactly as it called for. I used two squares of semi sweet chocolate and melted it with the butter. I creamed that with the sugar. Then I added the eggs. Then mixed in the remaining ingredients. Two cups of sugar seems way to much for only a cup of flour. And there isn’t any baking soda or baking powder. When they came out of the oven, there was a hard crust on the top of them and the brownies weren’t thick or the color of yours. The icing recipe is good though!

• Jessica — April 20th, 2011 @ 1:59 pm

It sounds like you did everything right so I’m not sure what happened! But I apologize, I know how awful it is to spend the time making a recipe only to have it fail.

Jennie — April 20, 2011 @ 2:36 pm

Thanks for trying to help.

Julie — June 18, 2011 @ 1:37 pm

Hi!! I made these last night, followed the recipe exactly and they turned out GREAT!!!! Thank you so much for the recipe!! Every recipe I have made from your blog has turned out fantastic!!!!
    I made them for my cousins birthday and they were gobbled up! :)

Julie — June 18, 2011 @ 1:38 pm

Hi!! I made these last night, followed the recipe exactly and they turned out GREAT!!!! Thank you so much for the recipe!! Every recipe of yours I’ve made has turned out fantastic!!!!
    I made them for my cousins birthday and they were gobbled up! :)

• Julie — June 18th, 2011 @ 1:39 pm

Oops didn’t mean to post that twice!

Erlus — January 11, 2013 @ 7:54 am

This dark colour of the brownies is stunning! love the combo with this ‘innocent’ fudge! ;-)

Ellie — March 25, 2013 @ 11:40 pm

Ohhh those brownies look relaly good! I make homemade heart shaped brownies with chocolate frosting every year. Making them Sunday to give to a couple we are going to Valentine’s dinner with. Yum!Happy Valentine’s Day!

1. Pingback: Be Jealous « Heather's Dish

2. Pingback: I Did It! « Heather's Dish

3. Pingback: Baking Up a Storm on a Sunny Day «

4. Pingback: Easter, Acquariums and Rosemary Chicken «

5. Pingback: Birthday Dinners and Concerts « Heather's Dish

6. Pingback: White Chocolate-Dipped Brownies. | How Sweet It Is

7. Pingback: PB & Chocolate (A fab combo) |

8. Pingback: The Secret Ingredient Is… |

9. Pingback: Brownie Fail « Banksyface

10. Pingback: Peanut Butter Brownies

11. Pingback: Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookie Bar Recipe | Two Peas and Their Pod