These go down in history as my most favorite treat I have made in years. They top all of the cupcakes, cookies, and bars I have made recently.

I enjoyed making them because they are different and unique. Not to mention, they are incrediblly delicious and refreshing. I may be biased, but I truly think they taste better than York peppermint patties!

The recipe called for peppermint oil, with strict instructions not to use peppermint extract. I search high and low, far and wide and could not find any peppermint oil, besides the aromatherapy junk in Bath and Body Works. I didn’t think that was ideal.

So what did I do? I broke all the rules and used peppermint extract. I combined it with some vegetable oil, and the consistency came out perfectly!

The creamy inside is a mixture of butter, powdered sugar, peppermint and vanilla extracts, a touch of vegetable oil and evaporated milk.

Once is it mixed, it goes into the fridge for about an hour to get firm so it can be rolled into balls.

After some more refrigeration, I pressed each ball down with the smooth side of a meat tenderizer.

They weren’t perfect, but they just ended up in my tummy anyway. :)

After these babies were firm enough, I dipped them in chocolate and let them freeze a while longer.

The end result was unreal!

My chocolate coating is not the prettiest, but let’s be honest here – we all know I don’t have much patience. I coat the creamy peppermint in chocolate, then have to rush to get it in the freezer while my eyes, hands and heart and begging for it to get in my mouth.

And correct me if I’m wrong, but can these easily be made vegan with substitutions for the butter, milk and chocolate chips?

I will never eat a store-bought peppermint patty again.

Well . . . unless I’m really hungry.

Peppermint Patties

adapted from Joy of Baking

2 cups powdered sugar

1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened

2 tablespoons evaporated milk

1/4 teaspoon vegetable oil

1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

drop of peppermint extract

1-2 cups chocolate chips

In an electric mixer, beat first 5 ingredients until smooth. Scoop into a bowl and place in the refrigerator to set. Once firm, roll into one inch balls. Push down to flatten. Set in freeze for another 60 minutes.

Melt chocolate chips in a double boiler. Remove patties from freezer and dip in chocolate, setting on wax paper. Freeze again until ready to eat.

I know I say it all the time, but these really are a must-make! Please, please give it a try. They will give you goosebumps.

And my husband still is rockin’ the mustache. Tonight, he will be presented with a lovely meal . . . that does not include meat. Bahahah.

124 Responses to “Peppermint Patties.”

Maria — March 1, 2010 @ 8:12 am

How fun are these? VERY! :) I am adding them to my must make list now!

Mae @ OhhMay — March 1, 2010 @ 8:16 am

Ahh I love home made store bought things. 3 musketeers are next! ;-)
    Seriously, these look so good! I bet they would be good with coconut butter replacing the butter, too. (If you were vegan)

ashley — March 1, 2010 @ 8:16 am

i sooo wanted to make these over the holidays but noticed the strict do not use extract rules and also couldn’t find oil. now i wish i had broken the rules! :-) i can’t wait to try these now! they look great!!

Evan Thomas — March 1, 2010 @ 8:18 am

These look SO GOOD. I definitely want to try these! Why don’t I have more powdered sugar on hand? or extract for that matter

One Healthy Apple — March 1, 2010 @ 8:19 am

These look great! I hope hubby enjoys his vegetarian meal, what what will you eat :)!

Have a great day hun!

Heather @ Side of Sneakers — March 1, 2010 @ 8:24 am

I love homemade versions of popular treats!

Mr. How Sweet It Is — March 1, 2010 @ 8:26 am

dear wifey,

i sit here stroking my rockin’ ginger ‘stache. that is a clear sign that i’m thinking. what am i thinking about, you ask. all the yummy meals i’m gonna cook myself over the next month. i am digging in my heels. the ‘stache shall live on! neither you nor The Man is going to keep me down.

Mr. How Sweet It Is — March 1, 2010 @ 8:28 am

ok, im going to need ground turkey, pasta and sauce. and buns. i can go one of two ways with the ground turkey….pasta w/ meat sauce or burgers. and i can also get some hamburger helper. that’s 3 meal ideas in like 10 seconds and i’m not even trying yet.

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — March 1, 2010 @ 8:30 am

Beautiful!!!

megan — March 1, 2010 @ 8:31 am

umm yes…i’ll be making these.

Christie @ Honoring Health — March 1, 2010 @ 8:36 am

You never cease to amaze me, girl!

Erin of Brownie Bites — March 1, 2010 @ 8:37 am

Oh my goodness, my husband will DIE if I make these for him! York Peppermint Patties are his lifeblood. Definitely faving this one!

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly — March 1, 2010 @ 8:38 am

Oh my husband will love these. He loves peppermint patties!! :) Thanks Jess!

Andrea @ CanYouStayForDinner.com — March 1, 2010 @ 8:41 am

Oh wow!!! These are incredible. You’re such a gifted baker! And cook!

Katie @ Health for the Whole Self — March 1, 2010 @ 8:47 am

I wish I could have hired you for my wedding! We gave out York Peppermint Patties as favors (I’m from York, Pennsylvania, and that’s where the wedding was), but these would have been so much cuter!!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — March 1, 2010 @ 8:57 am

I’m thinking we are going to need a mustache picture…

Kyla Roma — March 1, 2010 @ 9:03 am

Oh wild! I made Salted chocolate chip cookies last night, from a French recipe that I completely recommend seeking out if you haven’t before!

dawn — March 1, 2010 @ 9:03 am

ohh those are nice & thick!!

Kitchen Monki Dan — March 1, 2010 @ 9:06 am

You couldn’t buy ones prettier than those, Well done!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — March 1, 2010 @ 9:07 am

oh wow, i’m not a huge fan of the store-bought patties, but these look unreal!!! i must try them soon… :)

Abby — March 1, 2010 @ 9:09 am

Sorry abour your luck with the ‘stache. That stinks.

BUT did you post this recipe just for me? Chocolate mint is my soul mate. MMMMM!!

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries — March 1, 2010 @ 9:20 am

Ohmygoodness!!!! I am SO making these for a future get together with friends. And I love that they freeze! Great for portion control since I’ve been known to suff my face til I’m sick ;-)

Angie — March 1, 2010 @ 9:27 am

Those look amazing. I’ll be on the lookout for peppermint oil, I’ve never seen it in the stores either.

Amber — March 1, 2010 @ 9:34 am

Hi – I’ve come across your blog for the first time today and I already bookmarked it as a favorite, probably solely based on this recipe (but I liked what I saw when I checked out other posts- ha ha). I can’t wait to give this recipe a try. Thanks for sharing it and I’m sure I’ll be back soon!

Biz — March 1, 2010 @ 9:39 am

Wow, those look amazing Jessica!! Good job!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — March 1, 2010 @ 9:43 am

These looks incredible!!! Peppermint patties and junior mints are two of my favorite candies! These wouldn’t last long in my house!

Kristin @ Iowa Girl Eats — March 1, 2010 @ 9:56 am

Geez – I seriously star every single one of your recipes in my reader!! I am not kidding!!! WOW!

Mr. How Sweet It Is — March 1, 2010 @ 10:04 am

in case anyone is wondering what looks amazing besides these peppermint patties it would be my ginger ‘stache.

MelissaNibbles — March 1, 2010 @ 10:12 am

You are a genius in the kitchen! Have you considered writing a cookbook?

brandi — March 1, 2010 @ 10:13 am

goodness girl :) You never cease to make me drool all over my keyboard.

peppermint patties are one of my VERY favorite things.

Blond Duck — March 1, 2010 @ 10:59 am

And they’re adorable!

Poor guy. I’d cry without meat.

emily — March 1, 2010 @ 11:09 am

Holy frick that looks good! I don’t think I can read your blog anymore unless I already have a treat in my hand! I don’t have time to do any baking today so now I have to find a drug store to buy a less exciting store-bought peppermint patty.

MaryMoh — March 1, 2010 @ 11:18 am

Looks like a lot of fun to make and delicious to eat.

Paige (running around normal) — March 1, 2010 @ 11:21 am

What a cool idea! My mom adores peppermint patties – she’d LOVE these.

brittany — March 1, 2010 @ 11:21 am

hahaha. You two make me laugh. All I can say is there must never be a dull moment in your house :) Good luck with the stache Mr. How Sweet it is!

Nicci — March 1, 2010 @ 11:34 am

I now have a chocolate craving for these! Oh, how I love peppermint patties. After Lent I will have to make these. thanks for the recipe.

Katie — March 1, 2010 @ 12:06 pm

Mmm the store bought variety of these puppies is one of my favorite treats. I can only IMAGINE how insanely yummy the homemade kind is!

Barbara — March 1, 2010 @ 12:33 pm

What a clever idea! Your own peppermint patties! I have extract too and think it was smart of you to add vegetable oil to make the peppermint oil. Did you find the proportions the same? You didn’t mention it, so I assume it worked out in the original recipe.
    Yummy photos!

Sarah — March 1, 2010 @ 12:35 pm

These look so good. I love peppermint patties and my need to make these ASAP! You can totally make them Vegan.

Kendel — March 1, 2010 @ 12:45 pm

I tried pulling up your website to use for my digital photography club today- we were concentrating on food photography. Unfortunately the school child-protection program wouldn’t allow your photos to open. Too bad, these photos would have been perfect!

Pure2Raw Twins — March 1, 2010 @ 1:17 pm

I love peppermint patties!! You are truly amazing in the kitchen.

We made our version of your yummy cookie cake pie over the weekend and posted about it today.

Thanks for the inspiration ; )

Emily (A Nutritionisteats) — March 1, 2010 @ 1:32 pm

Wow!!! Those would make great give-aways to friends/family!!!

Anne @ the doctor takes a wife — March 1, 2010 @ 1:42 pm

I’m officially making these for when we go visit my brothers this weekend. How truly AWESOME!!

Teri [a foodie stays fit] — March 1, 2010 @ 1:44 pm

mmmmm…..these sound fabulous!

You mentioned evaporated milk, but I don’t see that in the recipe?

• Jessica — March 1st, 2010 @ 2:00 pm

Sorry ’bout that! Fixed. :)

homecookedem — March 1, 2010 @ 2:04 pm

Oh my gosh, I love peppermint patties!! These look a million times better than the storebought ones!!!!

Diana @ frontyardfoodie — March 1, 2010 @ 2:27 pm

Holy smokes those look good! So refreshing!

I think I’d have a serious addiction going if I made those…so I’ll content myself with looking at your pictures and drooling.

Eliana — March 1, 2010 @ 2:34 pm

I wish I could pop one of these in my mouth right now. They look incredible.

Nastassia (LetMeEatCake) — March 1, 2010 @ 2:39 pm

who knew these were so simple to make! girlscout cookie time is one of my favorite times of year too! i’ve already gone through 3 boxes but i have 4 more stacked at home for the taking =)!

Ashley — March 1, 2010 @ 3:04 pm

This is just so very evil of you!! Can you try making Samoas next? mmmm ;)

Elizabeth — March 1, 2010 @ 3:14 pm

My mom and brother LOVE York Peppermint Patties, so I’m sure they would love these! I will have to make them for them next time they visit!

1 2 3

1. Pingback: Where’s the Beef? « Eatventures

2. Pingback: Delicious 4th of July Dessert Recipes | How Sweet It Is

3. Pingback: Melt-In-Your-Mouth Mint Chocolate Cake. | How Sweet It Is

4. Pingback: Five Favorites Friday « A Voracious Appetite

5. Pingback: Cooking Challenge Day #59 – Homemade Peppermint Patties « Ella Rose Entertaining

6. Pingback: Milk Chocolate Cupcakes with Fresh Mint Frosting | How Sweet It Is

7. Pingback: Holiday Cards & Mint Recipes « Design Chalk

8. Pingback: homemade peppermint patties | creative gift ideas & news at catching fireflies

9. Pingback: What’s for Dinner? vol. 2 | hclappy scraps

10. Pingback: Peppermint Pattie Brownies | How Sweet It Is

11. Pingback: Peppermint Pattie Brownies. | Lifestyle Pins

12. Pingback: Homemade Peppermint Patties | How Sweet It Is | Recipes, Gossip & More!

13. Pingback: Gluten-free Peppermint Patty Brownies | Gluten Free Gus