Fruit Pizza

My mom has always made vegetable pizza. Everyone loves it.

I’m sure you all know how I feel about that.

Years ago, I remember her making a fruit pizza and being absolutely obsessed with it. I’m talking years ago – maybe 15?

She still had the recipe, and I was thrilled.

This dessert is extremely decadent because the crust is made out of sugar cookies.

I know – how incredible is that?

While it is packed with calories, if you keep the crust and cream cheese layer thin, it becomes a very refreshing treat.

You can use any fruit you like, too.

Everyone goes wild for this, so it is a must-try! Plus, since it is loaded with fruit, it is very healthy.

It also has coconut rum in it. Enough said.

Fruit Pizza

1 Pillsbury sugar cookie dough

4 oz cream cheese, softened

1 tub Cool Whip

2 tablespoons coconut rum

1 cup sliced strawberries

3/4 cup blueberries

2 kiwis, sliced

1 banana, sliced

Preheat oven to 350 (or whatever temp the dough calls for).

Let the dough come to room temperature, and press it into a cookie sheet – make sure it is thin. Bake for about 10 minutes, rotate pan, then bake for another 5. The baking time will all depend on how cold the dough was and your own oven, so watch carefully. Do not overbake!

One cookie has cooled, beat cream cheese, rum and Cool Whip with a hand mixer. Spread on cookie crust. Top with strawberries, kiwis, and blueberries, leaving space for the bananas. I add them last so they don’t get brown. Refrigerate while you make the glaze.

Glaze

1/3 cup sugar

1/3 cup orange juice

2 tablespoons lemon juice

1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch

1/4 teaspoon salt

Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Stir constantly until mixture thickens. Let cool for about 10 minutes. Add bananas to pizza, then drizzle glaze on top.

Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.

I wish I had some leftover for breakfast.

I didn’t, so Mr. How Sweet made pancakes.

If he thinks that means I’m going to allow the hillbilly country music videos that are currently on our TV to continue, he has another thing coming.

70 Responses to “Fruit Pizza”

Heather (Heather's Dish) — April 25, 2010 @ 7:04 am

i love fruit pizza SOOOOOO much…it’s one of those things I can’t stop eating, and I love it!

Katrina — April 25, 2010 @ 7:05 am

I’m in love with this recipe! Thank you :)

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — April 25, 2010 @ 7:06 am

This would be so perfect for a summer barbeque! Now I have to decide between this and your truffles to make for a friend…decisions, decisions! :)

Diana — April 25, 2010 @ 7:08 am

I’ve never had fruit pizza but that looks so delicious :)

Anna @ Oats N Boats — April 25, 2010 @ 7:14 am

My husband always talks about the fruit pizza he had as a kid. Sounds incredibly similar. The main difference is their “sauce” was vanilla pudding. Apparently one of the awesome parts about it if you have kids is you can let each kid decorate his section with the fruit they want in whatever design they want.

Krystal — April 25, 2010 @ 7:17 am

This looks delicious! And how funny…I’ve been watching CMT music videos all morning…

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — April 25, 2010 @ 7:17 am

Pizza, fruit and coconut rum…my favorites! I love fruit pizza…YUM!

Meghan@traveleatlove — April 25, 2010 @ 7:21 am

Yum! Sugar cookie crust? I love this recipe and that the sky is the limit as far as fresh seasonal fruity toppings!

Erica — April 25, 2010 @ 7:26 am

I’ve seen someone else make this and it looks so so tasty! haha the fruit definitely means its healthy…right ;)? Enjoy your Sunday

Ally @ Sweet & Savory — April 25, 2010 @ 7:34 am

I grew up on fruit pizza! It was always a staple at potlucks or gatherings. Another variation I make to it is called “Apple Taffy Fruit Pizza”. It has a peanut butter cookie crust, then the cream cheese layer also has peanut butter in it, then it’s topped with sliced granny smith apples, peanuts and drizzled with caramel!

• Jessica — April 26th, 2010 @ 8:42 am

That sounds flippin’ incredible. I will have to make it soon. Thanks! :)

Wei-Wei — April 25, 2010 @ 7:42 am

YUM! If I made this, I would definitely waaaaay overload it with fruit! :D I’m a big fan of fruit… not so much of ready-made cookie dough (mainly because I don’t know where to get it here in China!)

:) Have a great Sunday!

Wei-Wei

Jil — April 25, 2010 @ 7:56 am

I seriously love fruit pizza. A restaurant near my house does an amaaaaazing one involving mascarpone cheese, brown sugar, lemon zest, strawberries and blueberries. Amaaazing. This recipe looks awesome – simple and delicious!!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — April 25, 2010 @ 7:57 am

I love fruit pizza!!! It is my favourite dessert to make in the summer :-) I don’t put coconut rum in mine, but I think I will have to start!

Jenna — April 25, 2010 @ 7:59 am

Oh, fruit pizza, how I love you! I’ve never actually made one myself but it doesn’t look too hard. Thanks for the recipe!

barb — April 25, 2010 @ 8:04 am

Looks pretty decadent! I’m going to lighten mine up somehow but it looks great. Hey a little country won’t kill you.

• barb — April 25th, 2010 @ 8:05 am

Forgot, I’m hosting a $40CSN Stores giveaway thru 5/7010 if you want to check it out.

My Delicious — April 25, 2010 @ 8:22 am

hah, from yesterday I`m looking for good recipe for sweet pizza, and here we go! Thanks!

homecookedem — April 25, 2010 @ 8:27 am

Fruit pizza is awesome!! I am going to have to make this for the next summer get-together we have.

Marisa (Loser for Life) — April 25, 2010 @ 8:37 am

I LOVE fruit pizza! I haven’t had it in so long. It’s a great thing to bring to a bbq. Everyone loves it!

Camille — April 25, 2010 @ 8:50 am

yum, Yum, YUM!

I had fruit pizza one time on regular pizza dough and it was amazing!
    Your version looks better though :)

janetha b — April 25, 2010 @ 9:09 am

um. i have been known to eat entire fruit pizzas. at least it’s fruit.. right?

and even worse, mine has SCM in it. a whole can!

love you lady! great looking pizza!

Annie@stronghealthyfit — April 25, 2010 @ 9:36 am

Looks amazing!! I actually make a fruit pizza too, and use a brownie crust, and drizzle melted chocolate on the whole thing. YUM!
    You are so funny talking about your husband. I feel the same way about what my husband has on tv right now… basketball commentary. Blech.

• Jessica — April 26th, 2010 @ 8:42 am

Umm…that sounds like a sin. A sin I want to eat.

That looks so good and super easy. That would be great to take to a summer party.

Kristi@Ja Cie Kocham — April 25, 2010 @ 10:10 am

This looks heavenly!! How creative! No wonder you were thrilled that your mom still had the recipe – it’s a keeper! I’m going to try that at our next picnic!

One Healthy Apple — April 25, 2010 @ 10:20 am

Oh my! I once had fruit pizza in Estonia on vacation and this reminded me of that- except they didn’t have the magic of a sugar cookie crust. I have had fruit pizza with puff pastry and it was pretty delish too!

Anne — April 25, 2010 @ 10:42 am

I’ve never ever seen a fruit pizza but it looks awesome. When I get an urge to bake again I’ll try that! :)

Have a sweet Sunday! :)

Samantha — April 25, 2010 @ 11:12 am

I have never had or even heard of fruit pizza. It looks phenominal!

Jocelyn @ Peace.Love.Nutrition — April 25, 2010 @ 12:30 pm

Looks delicious!! Perfect thing to bring to a party : )

Gabriela @ Fro-Yo Lover — April 25, 2010 @ 12:54 pm

Hahahaha – lovely recipe, Jessica!
    Thanks for sharing :)
    Have a great day!
    Brazilian XOXO´s,
    Gabriela

Low — April 25, 2010 @ 1:13 pm

Mmm. That would make a delish breakfast!!

Caitlin — April 25, 2010 @ 1:53 pm

OK, more than anything, I really love how beautifully the fruit is displayed here. It’s like, PERFECT. I bet it just magically came out looking that flawless, too. You bitch.

Katie — April 25, 2010 @ 2:20 pm

Oooh, I’m so in love with fruit pizza. Last time I made some was a year ago and I literally ate the WHOLE thing in 2 days, by myself, so I had to lay off for a while. I think it might be time for another one…

Emily — April 25, 2010 @ 3:25 pm

Oh my, I remember making this dessert when I was 13! It was one of the first proud creations I made. I’ve also made the vegetable version with crescent roll dough. Wow, thanks for taking me back :)

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) — April 25, 2010 @ 5:30 pm

OMG. I need to make that now!

kate — April 25, 2010 @ 6:44 pm

I love fruit pizza. Seriously my wedding cake will be fruit pizza. One of my best friends makes an amazing one and we literally just drool over it!

Tony the Pink Panda — April 25, 2010 @ 6:52 pm

You are so creative like einstein of yummy food that makes me want to go to the bakery. MMMM.

sophia — April 25, 2010 @ 7:14 pm

My cousin used to make something like this, too. But shh….yours look SO much better! ;-)

Run Sarah — April 25, 2010 @ 8:03 pm

That pizza looks amazing! Perfect for a potluck.

amanda — April 25, 2010 @ 8:23 pm

delicious! fruit pizza is just fantastic.

Shannon, Tropical Eats — April 25, 2010 @ 9:12 pm

i can’t look at your blog while studying for finals because I just go into a zone staring at your tasty sugary foodie pics. ;) seriously though, oh my gosh that fruit pizza looks good! coconut rum? yes please

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — April 25, 2010 @ 10:30 pm

everyone has been making fruit ‘za lately! I need to try it! yum!!!!

hey girl for the first time ever, ever!!! I didnt post today. nor did i do insane amts of commeting and i am so proud of myself and i feel so much less stressed….it’s freakin amazing!
    xo

Blond Duck — April 26, 2010 @ 4:04 am

LOL! I watch CMT and GAC all the time for the videos, so I guess I’m a hillbilly too!

That fruit pizza looks awesome. I’m totally into fruit desserts lately.

It was so sad–went to a pie shop with a girlfriend this weekeend and the pie was totally lacking. I almost cried. Then I ate a bunch of pralines and bbq meatballs to ease my pain.

Question: We’re going to New Orleans in a few weeks, and I’m trying to figure out some travel breakfast foods I can eat before I work out in the hotel room. Know any good protien sources? A lot of the protein bars have chocolate (allergic) or sucralose and splenda (that’s just pain and disaster waiting to happen). Aside from bringing a jar of peanut butter, I didn’t know if there was a solution you knew of….or could I just get away with eating an apple and running/ doing weights and eating breakfast later?

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — April 26, 2010 @ 4:25 am

This gives me a sugar high just looking at the picture. ;-)

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly — April 26, 2010 @ 5:18 am

Yum! I love fruit pizza! My mom made one for my wedding shower and everyone liked it better than anything else there!

Erica — April 26, 2010 @ 6:14 am

I love fruit pizza’s! I never heard of putting coconut rum in the cream cheese mixture! I bet that gives it an awesome taste! Looks so tasty!

ashley — April 26, 2010 @ 7:34 am

mmm i haven’t had fruit pizza since college! looks delish and coconut rum?? i bet its absolutely delish!

Kare — April 26, 2010 @ 8:08 am

I always simultaneously cheer and groan when I see this at parties. So yummy, such an indulgent weakness that any slight willpower I had is out the window.

The last time, a fruit pizza singlehandedly knocked me off of the Atkins diet. Darn fruit pizza! ;)

(Yum!)

Amanda — April 26, 2010 @ 10:05 am

You are hilarious!! Just in general. Just wanted to throw that out there.

BTW, since I am commenting on your fruit pizza post and all… I LOVE fruit pizza!! Cant wait to try your recipe!

Blessings-
    Amanda

Lily @ Lily's Health Pad — April 26, 2010 @ 6:16 pm

Oh my gosh! How to you and Mr. Sweet stay so fit and trim? You guys always have the best eats on the block!

marla {family fresh cooking} — April 26, 2010 @ 9:08 pm

Jessica you are so creative I love it! Is this considered “healthy” ’cause of the fruit???

Ashlee — April 27, 2010 @ 10:59 am

My mom used to always make fruit pizza growing up. I would always request this as my birthday cake. I definitely need to have this back in my life!

1. Pingback: Brownie Pizza. | How Sweet It Is

2. Pingback: adventures of ashley + abby « the edible perspective

3. Pingback: Personal Pan Fruit Pizzas with Whole Wheat Cinnamon Sugared Crust. | How Sweet It Is

4. Pingback: on summer bucket lists. | How Sweet It Is