When trying to grocery shop on a budget, it is probably not wise to buy a $12 bag of pistachios.

That is why I married a guy who is good with numbers.

But it still didn’t stop me from buying the pistachios.

I barely put a dent in the bag when I used them for the lime angel food cake. And while I probably could have just eaten the rest of the bag, I wanted to be a bit more creative.

However, eating a pound of pistachios in one sitting does sound nice.

And fattening. I just heard a belt loop pop.

Even though this pistachio butter looks like swamp mud, I promise it is delicious.

Three cheers for, perhaps, the most asthetically unappealing items I have ever made.

Even though I knew exactly what went into it, I was still afraid to taste it.

I mean, it does resemble something you’d find in murky waters or a baby’s diaper.

Or even somewhere deep down inside my crisper drawer where all the veggies that I intended on trying to eat have rotted.

I would never post something so ugly if it was not incredible delicious.

Sweet and salty, with a hint of tropical coconut.

Pistachio Coconut Butter

1/2 cup shelled, roasted pistachios

3 tablespoons shredded, unsweetened coconut

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

1 tablespoon maple syrup

1 tablespoon coconut oil

Add pistachios to a food processor and pulse until  they become crumbs. Add in coconut and process until smooth. You may need to turn the food processor off and scrap down the sides a few times. Add in vanilla and maple syrup. Add in coconut oil 1 teaspoon at a time until desired consistency is reached.

Garnish with addition coconut.

Poor Mr. How Sweet is home sick today. Like, the-room-is-spinning sick. Thankfully, I am out of the house so he doesn’t have to hear my whiney voice asking if he is ok every 2 minutes.

I promise, it is not because he ate the swampy pistachio butter.

77 Responses to “Pistachio Coconut Butter.”

Cheryl Cormier — April 14, 2010 @ 6:50 pm

I’m sure it tastes great:) What color were you thinking/hoping it would turn out to be? I would be scared too!

• Jessica — April 14th, 2010 @ 6:52 pm

LOL, I’m not sure which color I was thinking . . . I guess I just wanted it to be prettier?? :)

Caroline — April 14, 2010 @ 7:00 pm

I think I could get over the color based on the ingredients in it! Coconut and pistachio sounds truly decadent! Hope your hubby feels better!

Joe @ Eden Kitchen — April 14, 2010 @ 7:02 pm

Pistachios never look very appetizing when I cook with them. But they sure taste great. Thanks for sharing!

Melissa S. — April 14, 2010 @ 7:37 pm

omg that is an amazing recipe!!! i need to get pistachios!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — April 14, 2010 @ 7:49 pm

not a huge pistacio fan, just b/c it’s always just well, a pistacio. they dont excite me the way chocolate does :)

sub 25. Well, for me, I would say I am at 35. I dropped a hint today though that I am alone with a kid, I am working out like a freak, and need to study and have a life. And your comment to me about a life…yes girl, live it! Away from the puter :)

We’re in this together…downsizing!!!!!

Jessica "Su Good Sweets" — April 14, 2010 @ 9:23 pm

Yes, it doesn’t look good but the combo sounds interesting. Hey, your blog is kind of like mine. We’re both Jessica and like healthy desserts. Ha ha.

Blond Duck — April 15, 2010 @ 3:03 am

I hope he feels better!! What a shame!

I actually didn’t think it looked gross. I thought it looked like guacamole. :)

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — April 15, 2010 @ 3:33 am

This is exactly why I’m not a food blogger….all of my food is fugly. That, and I’m not really a good cook! HA!

That being said….this recipe certainly SOUNDS good! ;-)

Simply Life — April 15, 2010 @ 5:01 am

ha, although the color isn’t the most vibrant thing the ingredients sound AMAZING! Nice work!

lesley@homemadegrits — April 15, 2010 @ 5:21 am

you are hilarious! that does sound tasty, baby diapers aside.

Katrina — April 15, 2010 @ 5:39 am

I don’t think it looks like swamp mud :) It looks awesome!

marla {family fresh cooking} — April 15, 2010 @ 5:53 am

You are hilarious….I think it looks great! What a creative dip. Great snack with the apples. Gonna try this one for sure. xo

Sweets By Vicky — April 15, 2010 @ 6:25 am

The sound of it far surpasses the look of it, it’s gonna be delicious!

And, when needed, will make perfect Shrek-a-thon food! :)

janetha — April 15, 2010 @ 1:19 pm

“I would never post something so ugly if it was not incredible delicious.” sometimes the worst looking foods are the best! i need to make some of this, i adore pistachios!

Genag — April 17, 2010 @ 6:08 am

Holy moly! This spread looks amazing, Jess!

Lily @ Lily's Health Pad — April 18, 2010 @ 6:58 pm

I love this! I sounds so easy, and it totally sounds like something I would enjoy.

Amy — April 18, 2010 @ 7:38 pm

The sound of it far surpasses the look of it, it’s gonna be delicious!

And, when needed, will make perfect Shrek-a-thon food! :)

Ingrid — July 16, 2010 @ 9:45 am