Once upon a time, I had peaceful, enjoyable, sunny, cheer-filled mornings.

Then I got married.

I have always been an early riser. I crave routine. I enjoy easing into my mornings.

It’s not that Mr. How Sweet is the opposite, it’s just that he is . . . a trainwreck.

You will see shortly why muffins, especially these specific ones, are needed in the mornings.

Mr. How Sweet rises and shines, which technically means he throws himself out of bed and attempts to make his way into the bathroom without hitting the wall. Literally.

What takes place in the next hour or so, I cannot be sure of since I am usually at the gym at this time.

However, I can tell you that it includes, but is not limited to him curled up on the couch watching country music videos or horse racing, him banging and clanging dishes so loudly that it wakes the neighbors, or frying 6-7 eggs while thinking that he still is not getting enough protein. Or, he may be vacuuming his car. Because, you know, that needs to be done at 5:30 in the morning.

By the time I return home, he is usually gone, or at least ready to go.

This is when the fun begins. If he is gone, I can usually count on 1-2 trips back to the house because he forgot his a.) wallet, b.) iPod, or c.) man-purse full of protein bars.

If he is still at home, he usually kisses me goodbye, then heads into the garage. Three minutes later, he is back up the stairs in our room, looking for his belt. Another goodbye kiss.

One minute later he is back. He can’t find his reciept from the store last night. Not that he needs it now, but he needs to know where it is. Because he is type A. (I know. Surprise!) A third goodbye kiss.

30 seconds pass. He’s back. ‘Have you seen my iPod?’ No. I hear him throwing things around in the other room. He leaves again. I have no idea if he found it. I assume not, since I hear doors slamming.

Just as I’m getting in the shower, I hear the voice of frustration. ‘Have you seen my keys?’ I pretend I don’t hear him. Trust me, it’s better that way. ‘Where are they?!? &*%! **&*^%! *&^*&!’

I have water in my ears now.

‘Ok bye! I love you.’ I think this time he is gone for good.

Yes. Peace.

I must commend Mr. How Sweet on one thing he usually does every morning. That would be loading or unloading the dishwasher.

If he didn’t do it, it would never get done. Ever.

These muffins are the perfect combo of sweet and savory.

The tart goat cheese becomes a bit sweet when mixed with the honey and vanilla.

Each muffin also has a great texture – creamy from the cheese, crunchy from the figs, and cakey from the batter.

Goat-Cheese-and-Honey-Stuffed Fig Muffins

from EatingWell

3/4 cup crumbled soft goat cheese
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
2 cups whole-wheat flour (I used half wheat/white)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1 large egg white
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1 cup low-fat buttermilk
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/4 cups chopped dried figs
3 tablespoons turbinado sugar

Preheat oven to 425.

Combine goat cheese, honey, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla, and and lemon juice until thoroughly mixed.

Combine dry ingredients in one bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, then add brown sugar and vanilla. Stir in buttermilk and oil.

Add wet ingredients to dry. Don’t over mix. Fold in figs.

Fill each muffin tin halfway. Top with a teaspoon of the goat cheese mixture. Add more batter on top. Sprinkle with sugar.

Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown.

See, I need muffins like these to get me through my mornings.

Wouldn’t you?

Check out my guest post on The Caramel Cookie!

89 Responses to “Goat Cheese and Honey Stuffed Fig Muffins.”

DessertForTwo — May 13, 2010 @ 2:18 pm

I love Eating Well! Thanks for testing their recipe!

Nicci@NiftyEats — May 13, 2010 @ 3:02 pm

I adore goat cheese, these muffins look insane. I love combining ingredients for sweet/savory treats.

Blond Duck — May 13, 2010 @ 3:08 pm

Those would go great with the dinner I’m going to make Saturday night!

Sharlene — May 13, 2010 @ 3:35 pm

I have never ever wanted to make muffins so badly. Goat cheese? In muffins?! WITH FIGS??? Oh my.. this may require a midnight grocery store run and bake.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — May 13, 2010 @ 3:42 pm

Those are definitely my kind of muffin!!! Goat cheese is my favourite kind of cheese … I can’t get enough!!!!

I am totally like Mr. How Sweet in the morning! My hubby is more like you :-)

Kristen Doyle — May 13, 2010 @ 6:17 pm

I don’t think I could want anything more! They look great!

kate — May 13, 2010 @ 6:21 pm

Im not usually crazy about figs (I know, Im terrible) but these look tasty!

Sweets By Vicky — May 13, 2010 @ 6:26 pm

Gorgeous muffins!!! I’ve been having the baker’s rut feeling for awhile now. Thanks for perking things up! And as for your man, ahhh, boys are all the same. But the swearing coz he can’t find his iPod? That’s got my name written all over it.

Jenn@slim-shoppin — May 13, 2010 @ 6:41 pm

That’s so funny about your hubby!

I like a much more laid back morning myself, although usually that means making 3 kids lunches, making my food for the day and sometimes making dinner so it’s not a big deal when i get home from work….but I love that part of my day, so I totally don’t mind!

Your muffins looks awesome, I’ll have to share this with my twin sister, she LOVES goat cheese!

Keri @ Baby Spinach Steps — May 13, 2010 @ 6:43 pm

Holy yum! At the risk of grossing every other reader out, I’m drooling right now — those look absolutely delicious. What a fantastic idea.

vanillasugar — May 13, 2010 @ 7:15 pm

now this is a good combo.
    and i’m with you, i love, no adore, routine. i have a trainwreck in the house too (i’m on year 10 w/ him…..so far so good lol)

Susie — May 13, 2010 @ 7:51 pm

I don’t share your love of working out, but I love food! These muffins look glorious! Tangy and sweet and muffiny (yeah that’s a word, I swear!). Muffins are my weakness. I think its because they are easier to justify than cake, but just as (if not more so) tasty! Thanks for a great recipe!

Holly — May 13, 2010 @ 8:20 pm

holy sweet, savory and everything inbetween! i love, love, love the looks of these. and i am SO scared that i am going to get married to somebody with the exact same sleeping patterns as me!

Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — May 13, 2010 @ 8:27 pm

Those muffins look AMAZING! :o OMG! For some reason I want to pair them with scrambled eggs. *shrugs* As if I’d be hungry for eggs after devouring half a dozen of those babies. ;)

Jenn

Katrina — May 14, 2010 @ 4:14 am

haha your husband sounds like such a character. These muffins would definitely brighten my morning. I love the recipe!

Cara — May 14, 2010 @ 7:25 am

My husband’s redeeming quality is taking care of the dishes too :) In fact I don’t even know how to use our dishwasher!

I’ve been dreaming up muffins like this for a while. I think there will be something much like this coming out of my kitchen soon!

Nicole, RD — May 14, 2010 @ 8:51 am

So I made these. Without the EVOO (on accident). :( They still are by far the best thing I’ve ever made! DIVINE!!

• Jessica — May 14th, 2010 @ 8:53 am

So glad you like them!

Daisy — May 14, 2010 @ 9:54 am

drooling on my keyboard. I swear that only happens when i read your blog. What is turbinado sugar?!

Mary (A Merry Life) — May 14, 2010 @ 10:42 am

Saw this recipe on Nicole’s blog. OMG. Looks amazing. I will have to try making them. Thank you!

Sophie @ yumventures — May 14, 2010 @ 5:53 pm

you have no idea how much i “have to make these” right now

Genag — May 17, 2010 @ 4:13 am

Oh, WOW. You know how I feel about figs — LOVE! This is something I’ll have to think about veganizing. Some way, somehow.

Kim — June 25, 2010 @ 6:59 am

Wow!!! Just when I think you must be done…just when I think you can’t top what you’ve done previously….you’re unbelieveable!!!!

All I can say is Wow!!

….and Thanks.
    ka

Kaitlin With Honey — July 22, 2010 @ 1:26 pm

So, I made these last night (but adapted them to make them sugar-free and a teensy bit healthier) and I was blown away. These are incredible. Thanks for sharing!

• Jessica — July 22nd, 2010 @ 1:36 pm

So glad you liked them!

Lilly — January 15, 2011 @ 12:25 am

Hi!
    I’m making these tomorrow and wanted to ask, do I need lemon juice or just lemon zest? You say in the directions to mix goat cheese, honey and lemon juice, do you mean lemon zest? Please advise:)

PS: Thanks sooooo much for sharing this amazing recipe! I’ve shared a link to it on my blog! Cheers!
    see no. 8

• Jessica — January 15th, 2011 @ 4:07 am

Zest! So sorry about that.

Sara — April 10, 2011 @ 7:12 pm

Im making these right now, but where does the olive oil go?

• Jessica — April 10th, 2011 @ 7:23 pm

Oops sorry about that! Mix in with the buttermilk at the end.

• Sara — April 10th, 2011 @ 7:25 pm

Oh I see it goes in with the buttermilk

Katy — January 28, 2013 @ 7:48 pm

Are you kidding me? I think you took my dreams and stuffed them into this muffin. More, please.

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Goat-Cheese-and-Honey-Stuffed Fig Muffins: -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: You Have to Try These! « The Healthy Junky

3. Pingback: Honey, Fig & Goat Cheese Muffins « Kaitlin With Honey

4. Pingback: 12 Days of Christmas: Lauren’s Goat Cheese & Honey Stuffed Fig Muffins | Design Lines, Ltd.

5. Pingback: Manic Monday « Kate Can Bake