Once upon a time, I had peaceful, enjoyable, sunny, cheer-filled mornings.

Then I got married.

I have always been an early riser. I crave routine. I enjoy easing into my mornings.

It’s not that Mr. How Sweet is the opposite, it’s just that he is . . . a trainwreck.

You will see shortly why muffins, especially these specific ones, are needed in the mornings.

Mr. How Sweet rises and shines, which technically means he throws himself out of bed and attempts to make his way into the bathroom without hitting the wall. Literally.

What takes place in the next hour or so, I cannot be sure of since I am usually at the gym at this time.

However, I can tell you that it includes, but is not limited to him curled up on the couch watching country music videos or horse racing, him banging and clanging dishes so loudly that it wakes the neighbors, or frying 6-7 eggs while thinking that he still is not getting enough protein. Or, he may be vacuuming his car. Because, you know, that needs to be done at 5:30 in the morning.

By the time I return home, he is usually gone, or at least ready to go.

This is when the fun begins. If he is gone, I can usually count on 1-2 trips back to the house because he forgot his a.) wallet, b.) iPod, or c.) man-purse full of protein bars.

If he is still at home, he usually kisses me goodbye, then heads into the garage. Three minutes later, he is back up the stairs in our room, looking for his belt. Another goodbye kiss.

One minute later he is back. He can’t find his reciept from the store last night. Not that he needs it now, but he needs to know where it is. Because he is type A. (I know. Surprise!) A third goodbye kiss.

30 seconds pass. He’s back. ‘Have you seen my iPod?’ No. I hear him throwing things around in the other room. He leaves again. I have no idea if he found it. I assume not, since I hear doors slamming.

Just as I’m getting in the shower, I hear the voice of frustration. ‘Have you seen my keys?’ I pretend I don’t hear him. Trust me, it’s better that way. ‘Where are they?!? &*%! **&*^%! *&^*&!’

I have water in my ears now.

‘Ok bye! I love you.’ I think this time he is gone for good.

Yes. Peace.

I must commend Mr. How Sweet on one thing he usually does every morning. That would be loading or unloading the dishwasher.

If he didn’t do it, it would never get done. Ever.

These muffins are the perfect combo of sweet and savory.

The tart goat cheese becomes a bit sweet when mixed with the honey and vanilla.

Each muffin also has a great texture – creamy from the cheese, crunchy from the figs, and cakey from the batter.

Goat-Cheese-and-Honey-Stuffed Fig Muffins

from EatingWell

3/4 cup crumbled soft goat cheese
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
2 cups whole-wheat flour (I used half wheat/white)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1 large egg white
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1 cup low-fat buttermilk
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/4 cups chopped dried figs
3 tablespoons turbinado sugar

Preheat oven to 425.

Combine goat cheese, honey, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla, and and lemon juice until thoroughly mixed.

Combine dry ingredients in one bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, then add brown sugar and vanilla. Stir in buttermilk and oil.

Add wet ingredients to dry. Don’t over mix. Fold in figs.

Fill each muffin tin halfway. Top with a teaspoon of the goat cheese mixture. Add more batter on top. Sprinkle with sugar.

Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown.

See, I need muffins like these to get me through my mornings.

Wouldn’t you?

Check out my guest post on The Caramel Cookie!

90 Responses to “Goat Cheese and Honey Stuffed Fig Muffins.”

Diana — May 13, 2010 @ 5:02 am

Goat cheese and honey stuffed fig muffins? This is genious, GENIOUS. :D~

Estela @ Weekly Bite — May 13, 2010 @ 5:03 am

I want one of those NOW… for breakfast! Can snap your fingers and wiggle your nose to make that happen ;) Thanks!

Duchess of Fork — May 13, 2010 @ 5:05 am

Holy Cow, Jessica! My mom would die for these!

Erica — May 13, 2010 @ 5:07 am

These are beautiful! I’ve never though to bake with goat cheese- awesome! hahah- I love the way men get ready in the morning. For Josh, sports center is a requirement

Autumn @ Good Eats Girl — May 13, 2010 @ 5:09 am

Wow, wow, wow!! These look AMAZING!

Helen — May 13, 2010 @ 5:15 am

My bf does the same thing when he gets out of bed. 4 days out of 5 in the week he will walk into the heater that is on the wall by the end of our bed, swear, then stumble out into the shower!! These muffins look amazing. They are quite decandent!

Katie (Sweet Tater) — May 13, 2010 @ 5:24 am

brilliant

SWF_Terra — May 13, 2010 @ 5:29 am

Oh my goodness. Those muffins look heavenly. I’m certain you’d want to eat these muffins even if your morning didn’t necessitate them. I tend to be more like your husband and my husband like you. But I try to hold it together as best as possible. :) Doesn’t always work.

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibbl) — May 13, 2010 @ 5:37 am

Ohmigosh. I LOL-ed at this one SO hard and read it to my boyf. I am not married, but as close as you can get… and yeah, this is pretty much our EXACT morning routine! haha

WOW those muffins look foodgasmic. Making them. ASAP.

xo
    K

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly — May 13, 2010 @ 5:40 am

Haha…that sounds exactly like Keith!!! And those muffins look amazing…I could probably eat all 12 in one sitting! WOW!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — May 13, 2010 @ 5:41 am

holy delicious. i mean, i really am drooling! these sound absolutely fabulous!

Nicole @ making good choices — May 13, 2010 @ 5:44 am

I think most husbands are truly the same. Your posts are hysterical even more so bc I know they are so true. I love muffins too they def get me through the morning!

Erica — May 13, 2010 @ 5:53 am

Oh my gosh, look at the cheese sticking out of those and the honey dripping down! Wow! They look awesome!

Wei-Wei — May 13, 2010 @ 5:58 am

I love the way you described them as honey “stuffed”. I totally imagined someone injecting honey into it with a gun like you inject cream into a cream puff. Mmm.

I’ve never tasted figs before. How would you describe them?

Wei-Wei

• Jessica — May 13th, 2010 @ 8:44 am

Like Heaven!

The dried taste like the middle of Fig Newtons almost – not like a raisin but similar, with crunchy little seeds that pop.

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — May 13, 2010 @ 6:03 am

Oh my gosh– these are beautiful!! They look like something you’d buy at a gourmet bakery for 6 dollars a piece!

Mellissa — May 13, 2010 @ 6:05 am

Muffins look awesome and that sounds a bit like my mornings as well, add a neurotic dog to that mix and a bit of food prep.

Mara @ What's For Dinner? — May 13, 2010 @ 6:05 am

Those look GLORIOUS!!! I love the idea of goat cheese in a sweet muffin…

stephchows — May 13, 2010 @ 6:34 am

OMG on the floor, hilarious :) and the muffins sound so good! what a combination! pure genius!

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie — May 13, 2010 @ 6:49 am

What a great muffin recipe! I love how you drizzled honey on top!

Kacy — May 13, 2010 @ 6:52 am

Ummm…. perfection. I love goat cheese in sweet creations. I want to eat 36 of those.

I totally agree with your email yesterday. I’m probably not going either, but we do need to reunite someday!

Mhe-Lhanee Benito — May 13, 2010 @ 6:57 am

The ingredients are amazing. Its like muffins fit for a king. I love the combination of goat cheese, figs, and honey. I feel like royalty..

Abby (Nibble, Nourish, Run) — May 13, 2010 @ 7:02 am

Oh yum!! Love the combo of goat cheese and honey…like in those delicious Greek desserts…I’m sure this is just amazing!!

Jil — May 13, 2010 @ 7:03 am

These look amazing! They are gorgeous. They almost look a little like popovers! And, of course, the goat cheese and fig combo – to.die.for!

adrienmelaine — May 13, 2010 @ 7:15 am

Oh my god- those look insane! I need to get married, just so I can bake for someone who can eat batches of muffins!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — May 13, 2010 @ 7:19 am

Sometimes I think you peer into my head, figure out all of my favorite foods, and put them in the most amazing looking creations… My boyfriend is the exact same way. Yesterday he came back in four times because 1. he grabbed my keys instead of his. 2. he forgot his wallet. 3. he forgot his water bottle. 4. he just thought he forgot something else and wanted to check.

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — May 13, 2010 @ 7:23 am

i love these because I have never heard ANYTHING like these before!! they are sweet and savory and perfectly crisp on top i bet they MELT in your mouth!

thats quite impressive mr sweet unloads or reloads the dishwasher…niceeee ;)

Alyson @ Nourished Fitness — May 13, 2010 @ 7:38 am

So creative! It is silly how many of your recipes I have saved. Can’t wait to try these!

Alison — May 13, 2010 @ 7:40 am

These look ridiculously good. I must try them.

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries — May 13, 2010 @ 7:45 am

Ahhhhhh! Goat cheese and figs! Two of my favorite things!!! I’m so making these soon. Look for a shout on on my blog :smile:

Jessica @ The Process of Healing — May 13, 2010 @ 7:47 am

Those sound INCREDIBLE!!
    And I love hearing your stories of Mr. How Sweet! He sounds like a very interesting man to be married to..

Sues — May 13, 2010 @ 8:10 am

These look and sound amazing!! I bookmarked them and will definitely be back when I’m ready. YUM :)

Kelly — May 13, 2010 @ 8:14 am

These sound like the perfect blend of savory and sweet. You two are too funny. I am sadly not a morning person. I sleep in until the last possible second.

Jennifurla — May 13, 2010 @ 8:34 am

I am at a loss for words, those are the prettiest and best combo of ingredient muffins I have ever heard of.

Jenna — May 13, 2010 @ 8:39 am

So I’m not a huge fan of goat cheese… but I have a feeling that I wouldn’t mind it in these muffins. YUM!

• Jessica — May 13th, 2010 @ 8:42 am

The recipe also suggested swaping cream cheese for goat cheese!

ERin at The Healthy Apron — May 13, 2010 @ 8:45 am

although I’m not a huge fan of goat cheese…my hubby would LOVE these !

Anne — May 13, 2010 @ 9:00 am

Anything with goat cheese would get me through my mornings! :D

Camille — May 13, 2010 @ 9:01 am

I have no words… None… okay, I have 3…I want them.

signorina — May 13, 2010 @ 9:02 am

As I tweeted before… OMG! These look so delicious! :) I love, love, love goat cheese! Unfortunately my husband doesn’t… But anyway, I have to make them soon! ;)

Tina — May 13, 2010 @ 9:11 am

I would never think to combine ingredients like those in a muffin! They look really good. And as usual your posts and descriptions of Mr. How Sweet crack me up. I think we married long lost brothers since I see so much of Peter in how you describe him. :)

Ashley — May 13, 2010 @ 9:26 am

Love love love love your blog.

Anna — May 13, 2010 @ 10:00 am

What a fantastic recipe! Thank you for sharing :D

Mr. How Sweet It Is — May 13, 2010 @ 10:10 am

Darling wifey,

From The Hangover….

Phil: You’re not really wearing that are you?
    Alan: Wearing what?
    Phil: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just f*ckin’ with me?
    Alan: It’s where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it’s not a purse, it’s called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.
    Phil: So does Joy Behar.

It’s not a man purse. It’s a lunchbox. And yes, it is full of protein bars. And chicken tenders.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — May 13, 2010 @ 10:11 am

I don’t really even like goat cheese.. or figs for that matter, but your photos always make me want to eat!!! They look delicious. Oh and ps, I just wanted to let you know that I LOVE the way you write about Mr How Sweet – if I need a good chuckle I know where to come! :)

Vanessa — May 13, 2010 @ 10:34 am

This. is. awesome.

It’s my first time reading your blog and what do I see when I arrive? Delicious muffins and a description that pretty much fits my husband. =)

**follow me on Twitter (@NessaJosephine)**

Melinda — May 13, 2010 @ 10:39 am

They look so good. I would think, like you said, it is a perfect combination of sweet and savory.

Natalie (The Sweets Life) — May 13, 2010 @ 10:58 am

Wow. I want to make these TONIGHT. Think I could substitute dried dates for the figs & agave for the honey?

Alaina @ The Fairhope Foodie — May 13, 2010 @ 11:30 am

Oh my word. These look insane. I found your blog through the comment section on Joy the Baker and I have been hooked from Day One. Love your stuff! I am thinking about trying these with the cream cheese as mentioned in the comment above. Can’t wait to see the next post :)

Nicole, RD — May 13, 2010 @ 12:01 pm

My husband is WORTHLESS in the mornings! These look absolutely TO DIE FOR! I cannot NOT make them!

Kelly@TearingUpHouses — May 13, 2010 @ 12:37 pm

Looks delicious!

Just found your blog and I really like it. I share your love of working out AND eating!

Kelly

p.s. Why can’t I be an early riser? Why?!

homecookedem — May 13, 2010 @ 1:34 pm

Omg, these muffins look gorgeous! Just when I think your recipes can’t possibly get anymore creative and fabulous, you blow me away with another one!! Yummmmm!!! :)

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Goat-Cheese-and-Honey-Stuffed Fig Muffins: -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: You Have to Try These! « The Healthy Junky

3. Pingback: Honey, Fig & Goat Cheese Muffins « Kaitlin With Honey

4. Pingback: 12 Days of Christmas: Lauren’s Goat Cheese & Honey Stuffed Fig Muffins | Design Lines, Ltd.

5. Pingback: Manic Monday « Kate Can Bake