Earlier this weekend, Caitlin tweeted that she was eating red velvet pancakes.

What? I had never heard of these. I was in shock. I didn’t know there was such a thing. I am naive, sheltered, and live in a bubble.

All I knew was that I needed them now.

I stopped whatever incredibly important thing I was doing at the time and googled these things – these red velvet pancake things.

What I found is life changing.

Cake isn’t really my thing.

Unless said cake is double chocolate with chocolate fudge filling and chocolate fudge icing, I usually pass it up. The only other exception is red velvet, which actually is chocolate – I learned that when I crawled out from under my rock a few years ago. Not sure what I thought it was before.

I can often pass up frosting, too. However, there is just something about red velvet cake and cream cheese frosting.

You can imagine my delight when the pancakes turned out perfectly. Even better – the giant glob of frosting on top.

The pancakes are actually vegan, but I destroyed that as soon as I added the cream cheese frosting.

I always have some leftover frosting in the fridge just for times like these.

Or times when I need to regain my sanity and dig in with a giant spoon.

I can’t even tell you how delicious the pancakes smelled, let alone tasted.

The minute I removed them from the griddle, I could smell delicious, fluffy, red velvet cake. It filled the entire kitchen. And yes, they also tasted exactly like red velvet cake.

Especially when the creamy frosting melted into the warm pancakes.

There aren’t even words.

Red Velvet Pancakes

slightly adapted from here

makes 8 pancakes

1½ cups minus 1½ tablespoons unsweetened vanilla almond milk

1 1/2 tablespoons vinegar

1/2 cup whole wheat flour

3/4 cup all purpose flour

1/2 cup granulated sugar

2 tablespoons cocoa powder

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

3/4 teaspoon baking soda

2 tablespoons red food coloring

1 tablespoon chocolate chips

Whisk together milk and vinegar and set aside to curdle.

In a mixing bowl, add wheat flour, all purpose flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda. Make a well in the center, and pour in milk mixture and food coloring. Mix until combined.

Preheat skillet or griddle on medium heat. Add 1/4 to 1/3 cup batter. Once bubbles form, gently flip and cook for a few more minutes.

Top with chocolate chips and cream cheese frosting.

Now it’s time to hightail it out of here before I gain 10 more pounds just thinking about them. I have to go make more pancakes, anyway.

104 Responses to “Red Velvet Pancakes.”

Diana — May 17, 2010 @ 4:27 am

I’ve never had red velvet anything, I only heard of it a few years ago! Ah, the powers of the internet. It does sound amazing and I’ll probably give it a go :)

Amanda — May 17, 2010 @ 4:29 am

As I type right now I am enjoying our leftover red velvet pancakes from this weekend! After your retweet my Google hunt was on and I ended up making these ones: http://www.thebreakfastcook.com/931/red-velvet-pancakes

I think the best part is the buttermilk, an important part in both red velvet cake AND pancakes!

Nom, nom, nom.

Ashley — May 17, 2010 @ 4:31 am

Ohhhhhhh myyyyyy Lanta!!!!!! These are incredible. My bf is obsessed with red velvet but not fond of pancakes. I love both so this is a must! He’ll be a pancake lover from here on out. Love u!!

Erica — May 17, 2010 @ 4:34 am

How cool! I never thought to make red velvet pancakes either! All cakes should be made into pancake form…imagine the possibilities…

Marisa (Loser for Life) — May 17, 2010 @ 4:40 am

I join you in the bubble. I had no idea this could be. I’m so sorry I know this now…. ;)

Estela @ Weekly Bite — May 17, 2010 @ 5:10 am

Now that’s what I call breakfast!! Holy Cow!!

barbara gary — May 17, 2010 @ 5:23 am

Wow those sound and look fantastic!
    I was wondering on the sugar is that teaspoon or tablespoon? I’m going to give them a try!

• Jessica — May 17th, 2010 @ 5:36 am

I just fixed it – sorry about that! It is 1/2 cup. Original recipe called for 3/4 cup and I took it down to a 1/2. You could probably even take it down to 1/4 cup.

HeatherFeather — May 17, 2010 @ 5:25 am

These look so decadent and really good. Such a creative idea.!

Kate @ Cozydelicious — May 17, 2010 @ 5:26 am

These look amazing! I am a huge red velvet fan and since actually eating cake for breakfast makes me feel a teensy bit guilty, I adore the idea of these pancakes. Not that they are really much better than cake – but I can tell myself they are! Yum!

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibbl) — May 17, 2010 @ 5:46 am

WOW those look good. Just, wow.

xo
    K

MelissaNibbles — May 17, 2010 @ 5:59 am

Those…are…amazing…god…oh god…I just had an orgasm.

Allie (Protein Girl) — May 17, 2010 @ 6:00 am

2 TABLESPOONS of red food coloring? Dear Lord Woman! You’ll be peeing pink for a week.

Naomi (onefitfoodie) — May 17, 2010 @ 6:09 am

bahhh omg these look amazing and i can see you even healthified them a bit!!! WOWza I need you to come over and make breakfast for me, k?

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — May 17, 2010 @ 6:13 am

Heck yeah! That is a reason to wake up on Monday! I have done carrot cake pancakes and I LOVE them. Definitely a bonus with the cream cheese icing! YUM!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — May 17, 2010 @ 6:13 am

That last picture…perfection.

Can I just tell you again that you’re a genius?

Nicole @ making good choices — May 17, 2010 @ 6:27 am

I think I’m going to leave work right now to make these. You need a bakery asap so we can all come to it.

julia — May 17, 2010 @ 6:33 am

AAAAmazing!

kay (eating machine) — May 17, 2010 @ 6:34 am

um, i need those for my birthday breakfast please.

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries — May 17, 2010 @ 6:37 am

OF COURSE you just happen to have frosting lying around for times like these! For the record, I like you way better than Martha and would be the first supporter of your baking show on Food Network :grin:

Nicole, RD — May 17, 2010 @ 6:37 am

LOL at 1½ cups minus 1½ tablespoons unsweetened vanilla almond milk – that’s complicated! These sound wonderful, Jessica!! 2 Tbsp red food dye…gotta love red velvet! I’ll be making these soon! You had me at cream cheese frosting!

janetha — May 17, 2010 @ 6:43 am

Drooling!

Maria — May 17, 2010 @ 7:07 am

Awesome! Very fun recipe!

Daisy — May 17, 2010 @ 7:20 am

oh my god jessica! you’re not the only one who never heard of these!

Eunice — May 17, 2010 @ 7:27 am

Those pancakes look absolutely perfect! I may have to make these on a day that the bf is not home, because he’s scared of carbs. Silly guy. I can’t decide if I want to eat these with cream cheese or regular syrup…maybe both?? Yummmm

Sara — May 17, 2010 @ 7:30 am

Wow. It’s like having dessert for breakfast! These are low cal and low fat, right? :)

midgetkeeper — May 17, 2010 @ 7:31 am

Oh wow, those look amazing.

Heather (Heather's Dish) — May 17, 2010 @ 7:36 am

red velvet pancakes. really. my weight loss has no chance now! ;)

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather — May 17, 2010 @ 7:41 am

What a decadent breakfast! I’m all over these bad boys.

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — May 17, 2010 @ 7:52 am

Wow. Those look just decadent. Gimme, gimme!

Kara @ MyWellnest — May 17, 2010 @ 8:11 am

Those look amazing! Great photos!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — May 17, 2010 @ 8:18 am

Holy freaking bananas. Those look absolutely incredible!

Jessie (Vegan-minded) — May 17, 2010 @ 8:19 am

Mmm, these pancakes look so good. Added bonus that they are vegan too! I would make a faux cream cheese frosting to put on top. :)

Jeanne — May 17, 2010 @ 8:20 am

OMG, my vegan friends are going to love this. Thanks for sharing!

Amber Cullum — May 17, 2010 @ 8:26 am

Just found your blog. I must say the Pancakes look amazing. Since I have a 7 week old, it may be a few more weeks before I try to make them (if I can wait that long).

Like me and so many others: Great food mixed with fitness. What could be better?

Alycia @ FitnFresh — May 17, 2010 @ 8:50 am

how could you do this to my figure?! i’ll be a balloon by friday for sure…

oh well, at least i’ll be a happy balloon

Camille — May 17, 2010 @ 8:53 am

I’m not a giant fan of red velvet cake… but these look so amazing that I may be converted!

Abby — May 17, 2010 @ 8:55 am

David loves red velvet AND pancakes!! I’m totally making these on vacations!!!!

Ashley — May 17, 2010 @ 8:56 am

HOw fun!! I wonder if I could make these + dye them with beet juice!!?? I’m sure you would love that, hahaha.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — May 17, 2010 @ 9:11 am

Seriously? Seriously? I am in heaven just looking at the pics!!!!!

april — May 17, 2010 @ 9:22 am

I never understood what makes red velvet red velvet! Either way, I love it!

Margarita — May 17, 2010 @ 9:34 am

OMG this looks so deadly. Red Velvet has to be my fave cake, but in pancake form?? I’ve never heard of it either!

Blond Duck — May 17, 2010 @ 9:53 am

My sister LOVES red velvet. I’m going to e-mail this to her.

Julie — May 17, 2010 @ 9:58 am

I totally need some of these for breakfast..now!

Sandy — May 17, 2010 @ 10:29 am

oh my gosh, i am totally making these! i am a sucker for pancakes AND red velvet!!

Katie — May 17, 2010 @ 10:38 am

Oh my word. I am dying!! How incredible do these look??! I know what I’m having for dinner.

Melanie — May 17, 2010 @ 11:08 am

Apparently I live under a rock, too, since I’ve never heard of red velvet pancakes. They look absolutely decadent and just the thing I like to devour first thing in the morning!

Lexie — May 17, 2010 @ 11:10 am

Those don’t look amazing or anything….lol. I’m a sucker for cream cheese frosting.

Jenna — May 17, 2010 @ 11:11 am

You aren’t serious, are you? This could possibly be the best thing ever invented… DROOL!

Paula — May 17, 2010 @ 11:31 am

These look absolutely delicious! Can’t wait to try them…

Kacy — May 17, 2010 @ 11:45 am

I didn’t know red velvet cake was chocolate either. I feel sheepish.

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Red Velvet Pancakes. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: back to the daily grind. « meals & moves

3. Pingback: welcome to ABBYnormally.com

4. Pingback: Pancakes Anytime « Yes, I want cake.

5. Pingback: Late Night & NEW Pancakes! « Greek Yogurt & Apple Slices

6. Pingback: Happy Birthday Mike! « Foodie in the City

7. Pingback: Red Velvet Pancakes « Hello, I Love You

8. Pingback: What I’m Loving: Food Blogs « Food, Fitness, & Fun

9. Pingback: Tea, of the cookie variety. « Banksyface

10. Pingback: Holy, Red Velvet | tothesquareinch

11. Pingback: Whole Wheat Cherry Vanilla Bean Pancakes | How Sweet It Is

12. Pingback: Yum Alert: Red Velvet Pancakes | The Luxury Spot

13. Pingback: Maid of Honor Shoes | Banksyface

14. Pingback: Why I (usually) eat eggs for Breakfast « utmosthealth

15. Pingback: Cake for Breakfast « Newly Wife Healthy Life

16. Pingback: Sunday Brunch: Red Velvet Pancakes with Cream Cheese Glaze | MyThirtySpot