Sweet and Sour Chicken.
A few weeks ago, Christina told me about a delicious sweet and sour chicken recipe on Tasty Kitchen that everyone was raving about. Turns out the recipe is from My Kitchen Cafe, and Melanie has a plethora of incredible chicken recipes that I can’t wait to try.
Mr. How Sweet is always asking for homemade chinese food, and I always drop the ball. Mine just never tastes as good as take-out.
Trust me when I say that this is the best sweet and sour chicken I have ever had in my life. Better than take-out. Better than Trader Joe’s. Better than everything.
Mr. How Sweet agrees – a week doesn’t go by where he isn’t begging me to make it again. I don’t mind making it, because we use skinless, boneless chicken – it is healthier than any take-out we would get.
I also don’t like to hear Mr. How Sweet whine. It makes my ears bleed.
Sweet and Sour Chicken
- 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup cornstarch
- salt & pepper
- 1/4 cup canola oil, I used olive oil
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/2 cup vinegar, I used cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon garlic salt, I used garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Cut boneless chicken breasts into chunks. Season with salt and pepper. Coat chicken in egg and then in cornstarch. Pan fry in oil until golden brown, but not cooked through. Place in a single layer in a baking dish.
- Mix all ingredients together and pour over chicken. Bake chicken for 6o minutes, turning every 15 minutes. You can also make extra sauce – add all ingredients to a saucepan and simmer until thick.
Mr. How Sweet loves this so much, that he wants a special compartment in his man purse just to store sweet and sour chicken.
I’ll get on that.