If I eat a salad without bacon or cheese, it better be with good reason.

Such as a diamond ring at the bottom of the bowl.

Or a pair of shoes – or four.

Or even the promise of a large chocolate bar smothered in peanut butter. Or, just a simple slice of bacon.

In this case, I ate this salad because it was sweet.

This may come as a surprise to you, but I have some very sweet teeth.

I know, I can’t believe it either.

I’ll spare you my reflections on my distaste for all vegetables. That’s old news.

Into this salad went caramelized onion, juicy champagne mango, creamy avocado, and a sprinkling of coconut.

I topped it off with a drizzle of honey,  and then I died and went to heaven. Seriously – I’m writing this from the skies.

I don’t think that I will ever become a ‘salad-for-a-meal’ convert, unless the salad is covered with meat, cheese, and bacon. But this salad was very refreshing and light.

I considered going on a tropical salad binge after eating it.

The key to a fabulous salad? Seasoning.

Many people are salt-and-pepper-shy, and do not add any to salads. Add a sprinkling of each, and I promise it will change your life.

Tropical Spring Greens Salad

2 cups spring greens

1/2 sweet onions, caramelized

1/2 champagne mango, sliced thin

2 oz chopped avocado

2 tablepoons shredded coconut

2 tablespoons honey

olive oil, lemon, salt, and pepper

Combines greens, onions, mango, and avocado in bowl. Top with honey, a drizzle of olive olive, salt and pepper. Sprinkle with coconut.

Don’t fear. I haven’t deserted you. Vegetables still make me shake in my booties.

And bacon makes me shake my booty. Just sayin.’

56 Responses to “Tropical Spring Greens Salad.”

Erica — May 5, 2010 @ 5:58 am

Coconut in a salad sounds refreshing and tasty. Especially with avocado….mmmm

Elle — May 5, 2010 @ 5:59 am

*Drools* Oh my God!!! It looks delicious. I wish I could have one for lunch today :(

Allie (Protein Girl) — May 5, 2010 @ 5:59 am

“I haven’t dessert-ed you.” bahahahaha! I sauteed my veggie burgers in bacon grease the other night. My husband said that was just plain wrong. Bacon DOES make everything better.

• Jessica — May 5th, 2010 @ 6:18 am

Oh you are amazing.
      I need to do that – then I will eat my veggies everyday!

Diana — May 5, 2010 @ 5:59 am

Sounds delicious!

Erica — May 5, 2010 @ 5:59 am

Looks fab. I love caramelized onion- I’ve never put it on a salad though- yum! Especially with the mango & coconut. This salad reminds me of vacation :)

Seth @ Boy Meets Food — May 5, 2010 @ 6:07 am

Avocado, mango, honey… AND caramelized onion. Does it get much better?

midgetkeeper — May 5, 2010 @ 6:11 am

Yum! I love adding seasoning to my salad, my Mom always did and I agree it is a delicious touch.

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie — May 5, 2010 @ 6:14 am

mmm a tropical salad with mango?!?! Great Idea!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — May 5, 2010 @ 6:18 am

I totally agree that seasonings make the salad! Otherwise, you are just eating boring vegetables. Don’t get me wrong, I love the flavor of veggies, but added seasonings…just make it better! Your salad looks delicious!

Ally @ Sweet & Savory — May 5, 2010 @ 6:22 am

I’m not usually a fan of fruit in my salad, but this does look intriguing….ps…I tagged you on my blog this morning:)

Rae — May 5, 2010 @ 6:32 am

This sounds so good and I’m not even a fan of coconut.This would make a great dinner salad with some grilled chicken or maybe even salmon. Great for a simple summer supper.

Wei-Wei — May 5, 2010 @ 6:35 am

Shake your bootay hon-ayyyy! FOR BACON AND BEYOND!

• Wei-Wei — May 5th, 2010 @ 6:37 am

Oh, and the salad sounds good too. But BACON! :drool:

Wei-Wei :D

Jordan — May 5, 2010 @ 6:45 am

Jess- I’m cracking up imagining you eating a bowl of salad with 4 pairs of shoes at the bottom…carefully eating around each one so as not to damage with fork stabbing. The diamond ring at the bottom might make me lose my appetite, unless it was a ‘just because it’s Tuesday’ diamond ring haha. They make those right?

@Allie: I have been known to cook up my veggie burgs (and pretty much everything else) in the same pan D uses to make his bacon after he’s finished. Makes such a difference!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — May 5, 2010 @ 6:47 am

you had me at caramalized onions!! maybe one of my favorite things EVER I just bought a HUGE onion in hopes to make some. I love it in EVERYTHING…on chicken, salads, pizza, omelets omg I want some now!!

love it jess!

Sana — May 5, 2010 @ 6:48 am

Last night I was out to dinner with the boy and I saw on the menu a salad with BACON dressing! I started telling him about how much you would love it. He prolly thinks I am crazy now. But what is new?
    Hehehe <3

brandi — May 5, 2010 @ 6:49 am

okay. maybe I need to try mango again. maybe I’ve just always picked ones that weren’t totally ripe or something because the ones we’ve bought were nasty, even though I followed the lists for “how to tell it’s ripe”.

this looks awesome

• Jessica — May 5th, 2010 @ 7:13 am

I had the same issue with regular mangos. See if you can find champagne mangos at your Whole Foods – they are smaller in size and yellow. Very tasty!

Joy — May 5, 2010 @ 7:05 am

“And bacon makes me shake my booty”
    I seriously laughed out loud when I read that. You’re hilarious! This salad looks delicious! yum!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — May 5, 2010 @ 7:15 am

Mango is so good on salads! I’ve never tried the champagne ones though, I’ll be on the lookout

Heather (Heather's Dish) — May 5, 2010 @ 7:24 am

champagne mango is seriously like candy…or crack. or both. whatever, i’m just saying it’s good!

Camille — May 5, 2010 @ 7:33 am

Oooh, that looks amazing!
    I was a bit shocked when i saw today’s post was going to be about vegetables *gasp!*, so thanks for clearing up my apprehension :)

Kacy — May 5, 2010 @ 8:28 am

Love the idea to put caramelized onions on a salad! Yum.

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly — May 5, 2010 @ 9:00 am

This looks great! A great light summer salad for sure! We are having a Mother’s Day BBQ this weekend and I am supposed to bring a side dish…this just moved to the top of my list!

Alycia @ FitnFresh — May 5, 2010 @ 9:18 am

seriously looks amazing! i don’t even know if i like mango? but i’m down for giving it a try after this (:

PippaPatchwork — May 5, 2010 @ 9:34 am

I agree with you on seasoning! Salt and papper make a world of difference.

Samantha @ Foodedu — May 5, 2010 @ 9:36 am

I know your blog is called how sweet it is–but I have been enjoying your non-sweet posts! Salad looks bomb!

• Jessica — May 5th, 2010 @ 9:43 am

Thanks so much! I love the occassional savory dish, too. ;)

polwig — May 5, 2010 @ 10:02 am

This salad is awesome. Avocado, mango, coconut… I am sold.

My Delicious — May 5, 2010 @ 10:26 am

oh, I need such salad for my supper :)

Jil — May 5, 2010 @ 10:28 am

I was surprised to see a salad…and then I read what was in it. Yum!!! It sounds soo good!

Meg @ Be Fit Be Full — May 5, 2010 @ 10:52 am

Champagne mango sounds way better than just regular mango! I had no idea where were different kinds of mango :)

Anne — May 5, 2010 @ 11:05 am

I’m loving this! coconut in a salad? I’m not as nearly as imaginative with my salads as you :D

You know what?! our stores are all out of bacon!!! I know you know how terrible this is, ESPECIALLY today when I wanted to make stuffed mushrooms with bacon. BOOHOO! :S I do NOT recommend travelling to Finland under these unusual circumstances!

pampered — May 5, 2010 @ 11:13 am

I really need to eat more salad…preferably a delicious salad like this!

Kitchen Nurse — May 5, 2010 @ 11:24 am

This recipe made me giggle since I don’t like veggies either, but then again, this salad looks really good! I must give it a try! Thanks Jessica! :)

Stephanie — May 5, 2010 @ 11:53 am

wow that looks good.. i wasn’t hungry for lunch before but i am now!

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibbl) — May 5, 2010 @ 12:04 pm

This salad looks absolutely fabulous! Great combo of flavors.

xo
    K

Julie @savvyeats — May 5, 2010 @ 12:20 pm

I WANT this salad now… yum!

homecookedem — May 5, 2010 @ 1:24 pm

Awesome salad, love mango!!

Katherine — May 5, 2010 @ 1:26 pm

the first few lines are brilliant. you have a great sense of humor!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — May 5, 2010 @ 2:39 pm

love the veggies…even if they do make you shake :)

and thanks for everything else….muah!!! xoxo

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — May 5, 2010 @ 4:59 pm

I love love salads, but I never put fruit on them for some reason. Just the sound of champagne mangoes makes me want to go buy one right now. As always, love this!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — May 5, 2010 @ 5:53 pm

With every post your write, I get more and more excited for your book!!!

marla {family fresh cooking} — May 5, 2010 @ 8:20 pm

Sweet tooth, you??? Never!! Great sounding salad. Of course I would add the salt & pepper. Nice with the coconut and mango. xo

Kris | iheartwellness.com — May 5, 2010 @ 9:11 pm

No friggin way! This salad rocks!! I love trying new salads…I am so excited!

XXOO

Jessica Lee — May 5, 2010 @ 10:15 pm

I couldn’t eat plain salads for meals if they weren’t delish. I pepper the heck outta my salads. I also add other spices too. Balsamic reduction drizzle is the best topping. Sweet too which I know you love :)

tasha - the clean eating mama — May 5, 2010 @ 10:50 pm

My mouth is salivating right now!

Katrina — May 6, 2010 @ 4:31 am

Anything with the word “tropical” in it has my attention! Awesome.

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — May 6, 2010 @ 4:48 am

Well, now doesn’t that sound delightful!?

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — May 6, 2010 @ 5:01 am

I’ve never tried champagne mangos, but I’ve been seeing them around! Must get my hands on some, because this salad looks so good! So light and refreshing!

Gracie @ Girl Meets Health — May 6, 2010 @ 5:08 am

Now THAT is how a salad is done. So many great textures and flavors going on! (avocado + mango is a definitely a winning combo).

dani — May 6, 2010 @ 9:16 am

I don’t think that I will ever become a ’salad-for-a-meal’ convert, unless the salad is covered with meat, cheese, and bacon.

you crack me up. based on that sentence alone, i think we should be bff’s.

kudos for posting a salad recipe i ACTUALLY WANT TO TRY!!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — May 6, 2010 @ 7:35 pm

Hehe… I did a double take when I saw this salad in my RSS reader. Thought I was reading the wrong blog! Looks yummy, though. We’ve been eating a lot of salads with spring greens, strawberries, walnuts, and raspberry vinaigrette lately, and I’m hooked!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Tropical Spring Greens Salad. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com