Sure, this shrimp looks slightly boring.

But I promise that it is loaded with buttery flavor.

We love seafood in this house.

Usually, it comes in the form of lobster or $19 cans of lump crabmeat, because for some reason we find it appropriate to blow our life savings on food. It isn’t normal for newlyweds to eat lobster? Oh.

Let’s just say that we use the money we save from the vegetables we don’t buy. There. That’s better.

Have you ever had grilled shrimp?

I’d have to say it is my favorite way to eat it. I love the smokey flavor. You must give it a try.

So, yes, the shrimp is just lying on a pile of plain brown rice. We do eat healthy most of the time. The ‘plain’ part comes from me being too lazy to spice it up for dinner, and not caring since Mr. How Sweet doesn’t know the difference between seasoned, herb rice and plain, not-even-cooked rice. Well, I should give him a bit more credit – he would probably know that the rice isn’t cooked, but only since it would get stuck in his teeth.

I couldn’t serve this shrimp to Mr. How Sweet anyway. He would need an additional side dish.

He refuses to eat anything without a side. My oh my, that boy loves his sides.

When I made the BBQ quesadillas the other night? His first question was, ‘where is the side?’

When we have pizza? ‘What is the side?

If I only make one side? ‘Where is the other side?

A few weeks ago, we had one of those common nights where I didn’t cook dinner because I was too busy watching Full House reruns and peeling off my nail polish finger by finger.

The man literally made himself a burger with a side of chicken. I kid you not.

Grilled Garlic Butter Shrimp

Serves 2-4

1 pound raw, deveined shrimp

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika

4 cloves of garlic

2 tablespoons melted butter

Clean shrimp and dry thoroughly. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and paprika.  Chop 2 cloves of garlic, pressing with the back of the knife continuously to create a paste. Spread on shrimp. Brush shrimp with melted butter.

Grill on low-medium heat (this may different depending on your grill) for about 2-3 minutes each side.

Chop remaining garlic and add it to remaining butter. Brush on shrimp and serve.

In our house, shrimp usually is a side dish, since we need about 5lbs to feed Mr. How Sweet. It’s cheaper to buy some slabs of meat for him.

I can’t wait until the day I have to tell my children that they can’t go to college because their father needed to eat steak.

57 Responses to “Grilled Garlic Butter Shrimp.”

Sarah Jayne — June 29, 2010 @ 4:20 am

Grilled shrimp is the best! And really- how do you go wron with garlic and butter? Unless you’re on a first date, I suppose….but hey- if I went on a first date with a man who enjoyed watching my eat buttered shrimp with my fingers, I think that means he’s a keeper. Or has incredibly low standards. Either way, I win??? :)

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — June 29, 2010 @ 4:22 am

I love making shrimp on the grill. I actually just had this shrimp when I went out to lunch yesterday. It was SO tasty, I’m sure there were pounds of butter on it and I loved every bite. and sometimes I love just eating plain brown rice :)

megan — June 29, 2010 @ 4:24 am

I love shrimp, almost never cook it though! And i’ve never grilled it. Thanks for a great recipe. And I love your stories about your husband, they always crack me up :)

Marisa (Loser for Life) — June 29, 2010 @ 4:30 am

I love this shrimp! Wait…where’s the bacon??? ;)

Jil — June 29, 2010 @ 4:37 am

Shrimp – grilled – is one of the most amazing flavors…ever.

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — June 29, 2010 @ 4:42 am

I do love me some shrimp. I used to grab a salad at Whole Foods and then sneaking over to the shrimp bar and top my salads with all sorts of seasoned shrimp for a shot of protein.

Blond Duck — June 29, 2010 @ 4:44 am

I love steak. I went with Ben to a sushi place the other day and tried a shrimp roll–turns out I’m seriously allergic after all! My throat was itching and I was wheezing. My dad ate a bunch of shrimp appetizers once and his throat almost closed up–they had to take him to the hospital! So I’ve got it too!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — June 29, 2010 @ 4:44 am

We blow all our money on food too. Hey, you have to spend it on something, right?

Oh, you can save it? Huh.

:-)

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — June 29, 2010 @ 5:06 am

Butter and garlic were made for shrimp! My guys would go nuts for this! DELICIOUS!

Wei-Wei — June 29, 2010 @ 5:06 am

Aw, man. Do NOT ever call grilled shrimp with butter and garlic boring. It is the most beautiful combination in the world. Actually, what we had the other day was lobster, but that was even better. Garlic butter and shrimp/lobster are a match made in heaven. I actually did a post featuring it on my blog ;)

Wei-Wei

Kate @ Cozydelicious — June 29, 2010 @ 5:13 am

My life would be better if I ate more grilled shrimp! This looks wonderful. I adore grilled shrimp but sadly my husband, the grill master, is allergic to shellfish, so I only get to sneak shrimp when he’s not home!

Autumn @ Good Eats Girl — June 29, 2010 @ 5:31 am

There is no such thing as boring looking grilled shrimp! I love shrimp and this looks absolutely delish!

We spend lots of money on food too…I rationalize it by saying that there are many worse things I could spent my money on!! :)

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibbl) — June 29, 2010 @ 5:35 am

First off, this looks DELICIOUS.

Second off, I “LOL”ed at that comment about Mr. How Sweet’s sides, read the burger with a side of chicken comment to my fiance, and he said “You guys say that as if it’s a bad thing…” bahahaha ;)

xo
    Kris

• Mr. How Sweet It Is — June 29th, 2010 @ 6:25 am

does your fiance want to hang out sometime? he sounds cool to me.

Rachel Wilkerson — June 29, 2010 @ 5:38 am

Oooh that is so easy and looks so delicious!! I love this recipe!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — June 29, 2010 @ 5:44 am

i almost gagged a bit at the burger with a side of chicken! haha, that cracks me up!

Lindsey @ Foodie on the Rocks — June 29, 2010 @ 6:23 am

Crab and lobster are never a waste of money. Especially when you’re cutting back on your veggies to make up for the difference. Anyone who tells you any different can go chew on a head of broccoli.

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries — June 29, 2010 @ 6:30 am

Simple shrimp is definitely the way to go. I’m with you on the crab. By far my favorite seafood!

Anne @ Food Loving Polar Bear — June 29, 2010 @ 6:35 am

I love shrimp, but almost never cook it at home because my boyfriend has some.. issues with shrimps :D but he’s learning and maybe this dish would help?! ;)

Marilou — June 29, 2010 @ 6:36 am

bwahaha my man and your man should have their own cooking show ;)

My bf’s kind of meal is plain chicken dipped in plain mustard with a side of turkey lunch meat.

BFF

Tracy — June 29, 2010 @ 6:52 am

You know, I’ve grilled just about everything but I don’t think I’ve ever grilled shrimp. Looks like I need to give it a try, and soon!

homecookedem — June 29, 2010 @ 6:53 am

I LOVE shrimp. I could eat in any way, but grilled is one of my favorites!

Julie @ Pickley Pear — June 29, 2010 @ 7:16 am

I am so making this with scallops! I buy the huge ones from Costco and am always looking for great new recipes!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — June 29, 2010 @ 7:17 am

Anytime we have shrimp we grill it … it is soooooo good!!

Kara @ MyWellnest — June 29, 2010 @ 7:17 am

LOL, Full House reruns and peeling nail polish..sounds like my Saturday mornings!
    I love shrimp and I can’t get enough. I also like it grilled with cajun seasoning!
    Now I want shrimp….

Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) — June 29, 2010 @ 7:20 am

I’m such a wuss when it comes to cooking seafood, it freaks me out! Shrimp seems like a good starter recipe and tis’ the season to be grilling! These look delicious.

Nicole, RD — June 29, 2010 @ 7:40 am

Slightly boring? Not to this seafood hussie! Those shrimp look amazing!!! Butter…mmmm….shrimp…mmmmmmmmmmmm!

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly — June 29, 2010 @ 7:59 am

I love shrimp! When we go out for seafood I almost always order it if it is on the menu. The hubs doesn’t like it nearly as much as I do though. But he’s crazy! haha!

amanda — June 29, 2010 @ 8:04 am

I am a huge seafood fan and this looks so delcious. Another thing is seafood is so easily to prepare and low in calories.

Yum Yucky — June 29, 2010 @ 8:53 am

Excuse me, but skrimps is never boring. And I usually make my kid peel them ALL because he tries to eat them all. Grrr!

Hmmm? I never seasoned them with Paprika before. I can do that.

Eliana — June 29, 2010 @ 9:04 am

There is nothing boring about shrimp and butter girlfrend. This looks delicious.

Kristina — June 29, 2010 @ 9:10 am

“for some reason we find it appropriate to blow our life savings on food” – HUZZAH, we like to do this too ;)

there’s something in my post today that made me think of you. it won’t take you long to find it:

:) !

One Healthy Apple — June 29, 2010 @ 9:58 am

We have no food budget- for this reason I will also be recommending a junior college to my future offspring.

I understand the side dish deal. I also have learned to understand that shrimp are a snack- like defrosted from the freezer and eaten as a snack in between meals with lots of seafood sauce. I don’t get it. Boys are strange.

Rachel — June 29, 2010 @ 10:15 am

I am a vegetarian at home, but I went to the coast this past weekend and HAD to have some shrimp. It was delectable!!!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — June 29, 2010 @ 10:39 am

shrimp = anaphalactic shock reaction
    Butter = dairy intolerant
    Garlic = hate

You = Love you! :)

Shopping…girl, i cant believe you didnt know i was a shopper!? I LOVE to blow some mad cash (prior life!) b/c the malls here, hello South Coast Plaza (real hw’s of the OC) love that mall and also fashion valley mall in San diego is fab. You’ll have to come and see for yourself :)

And monday See, i told you Mon was my busiest day too. That’s so random about yours though..wow! But great!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — June 29, 2010 @ 11:06 am

hahaha I cant wait for that day either!!
    i am obsessed with grilled shrimp! and also so happy you used smoked paprika in here! i <3 that spice!!

katie — June 29, 2010 @ 12:07 pm

YUMMM!! I LOVE grilled shrimp! smoked paprika? ive only had the reguar kind! are they the same? that sounds delish!

• Jessica — June 29th, 2010 @ 1:47 pm

Well, not the exact same – it is paprika, but it is smoked. You must try it, it is my favorite spice!

the Provident Woman — June 29, 2010 @ 12:17 pm

Oh my goodness that looks wonderful!

Julia (Taste of Living) — June 29, 2010 @ 12:29 pm

Loving this post! I’m seeing you watching Full House, playing with your nails and the man making his dinner with at least three sides:P

Those shrimps sound and look so good!

x Julia (Taste of Living)

Melissa @ For the Love of Health — June 29, 2010 @ 1:10 pm

very nice

Katrina — June 29, 2010 @ 1:21 pm

Could this look any tastier??

marla {family fresh cooking} — June 29, 2010 @ 1:43 pm

A burger with a side of chicken, that is hilarious! I love smoked paprika….with butter on grilled shrimp sounds wonderful! xo

Nichole — June 29, 2010 @ 2:41 pm

I usually do the whole janky manicure procedure in bed to House Hunters, tragic really.

Maybe your son/daughter will be a fisherman, help pay the way.

Annie@stronghealthyfit — June 29, 2010 @ 4:15 pm

I LOVE shrimp, and that recipe looks divine. I love hearing about your husband, it always makes me laugh! In a good way :-)

carolinebee — June 29, 2010 @ 5:45 pm

OMG yum!! Lol, hilarious about the “sides”, my roommate and I tried to be healthy today and made delish salads at whole foods- and the man next to us was eating pizza with a side of chips….
    His looked way better.

Camille — June 29, 2010 @ 7:15 pm

Shrimp is one of the most perfect foods ever!

Amanda — June 30, 2010 @ 6:44 am

LOVE this. Really. I am always so freaked I am going to ruin shrimp… this looks totally do-able and I cant wait to try it!!

Kath — June 30, 2010 @ 7:17 am

What a perfectly simple way to cook shrimp! I’ll be trying this soon. Jessica, have you and Mr. How Sweet It Is tried grilling your sides? You could put some zucchini slices on skewers, throw them on the grill with the shrimp, put some garlic butter on the cooked zucchini and then sprinkle the zucchini with Parmesan cheese. Yummy veggies for people who don’t like vegetables! ;)

Ashley — June 30, 2010 @ 2:03 pm

Those skrimps look like PERfection!!! mmMMMmmm

Jane @ The Borrowed Abode — July 2, 2010 @ 8:12 am

Yum.

Since the day my parents packed me off to college I’ve been blowing my life savings on food. What can I say? I love the good stuff. And bacon.

In fact, bacon is the reason I quit being vegetarian.

Paula — July 2, 2010 @ 8:48 am

mmm I love garlic butter :)

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Grilled Garlic Butter Shrimp. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Food Should Taste Good…and it sure do! « Gluten Free Muse

3. Pingback: Cooking Challenge Day #30 – Grilled Garlic Butter Shrimp « Ella Rose Entertaining

4. Pingback: Grilled Garlic Butter Shrimp | Home Recipes Catalog