I never thought I’d be one for gazpacho.

I mean. . .cold veggies? Please.

Pureed or chunky, those would not be high on my list.

But what if I added a touch of sweetness and sugar?

You know how much I value seasoning in my food, so I knew with the proper salt and pepper content, it could taste delicious.

And it did. I loved it.

Perhaps if I just puree veggies and add sugar I will be able to choke them down?

Or perhaps it was the bloody mary mix that made it’s way into the food processor. One can never be sure.

I don’t remember if it had vodka in it or not. But it was delicious.

This recipe came from my good friend, Barb. Her husband was an Olympic chef, so there is rarely a bad recipe in the batch. Remember that artery-clogging provolone-stuffed fried zucchini? Yes, that was her, too. Don’t worry – this gazpacho won’t have the same effect on your thighs.

She gave me the traditional gazpacho recipe and I threw in the watermelon.

I just can’t let things be.

Watermelon Gazpacho

Serves 2-4

14 oz can diced tomatoes, drained

1 cup watermelon, chopped and seeds removed

1 small can tomato juice

1/2 cup bloody mary mix

1 teaspoon chopped parsley

2 tablespoons fresh lime juice

salt & pepper to taste

cilantro and lime to garnish

Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. If you prefer gazpacho chunky, pulse the mixture into smaller chunks. Season with salt and pepper to your liking. Garnish with cilantro and lime wedges.

Did you really think I could eat something full of vegetables without adding sugar?

54 Responses to “Watermelon Gazpacho.”

Wei-Wei — June 15, 2010 @ 4:15 am

Oh, but tomatoes AREN’T vegetables, Jessica… so you’ve made a fruit soup.

Strangely appealing, in the summer.

Wei-Wei

• Jessica — June 15th, 2010 @ 4:22 am

Shhhh…they taste like vegetables to me. ;)

Erica — June 15, 2010 @ 4:43 am

This looks really refreshing! And I love how you hate veggies haha!

Gabriela — June 15, 2010 @ 4:49 am

This looks delicious! I love gazpacho- I just made some last night actually- but I’ve never thought to add fruit. Sugar goes well with everything :)

A Teenage Gourmet — June 15, 2010 @ 4:58 am

I <3 Watermelon! I almost made a peach gazpacho a couple days ago, but I ended up making peach jam. Great idea! (And tomatoes are vegetables in Oklahoma, according to Alton Brown's Good Eats)

• Jessica — June 15th, 2010 @ 5:03 am

Thanks for the info!

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — June 15, 2010 @ 5:02 am

I turn my nose up at gazpacho, too. Even though I haven’t had it in years. Cold soup? Sick! But now that I read your recipe…maybe, just maybe, I’ll give it another slurp, I mean shot! xo

Erica — June 15, 2010 @ 5:04 am

I’m not normally a gazpacho fan…but I might give this a good. I think the extra sweet from the watermelon might make a big difference

midgetkeeper — June 15, 2010 @ 5:08 am

This looks so refreshing and light.

Sophie @ yumventures — June 15, 2010 @ 5:10 am

This looks amazingly refreshing for a hot July day. Perfect for the 4th!

Daisy — June 15, 2010 @ 5:15 am

fantastic. gazpacho is ome of those things TV chefs are always making!! right?! also – i love that bowl. points for presentation as always.

Caitlin — June 15, 2010 @ 5:39 am

Things I have never had: bloody mary ANYTHING, gazpacho, cold thick liquid that isn’t a milkshake or latte (or infused with alcohol).

Hmmm…looks like I have a lot of living to do. I think we have quite the running list of things you’ve featured I have never had. There’s an idea somewhere in there…

Naomi (onefitfoodie) — June 15, 2010 @ 5:41 am

mmmm looks so good! i love the addition of watermelon to this, because I am not a fan of regular ole gazpacho…it just tastes ilke eating salsa straight up, but this is sweet and delicious sounding!!

Heather — June 15, 2010 @ 5:45 am

i bet you could on a dare…where some christian louboutins were at stake :) and just that once!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — June 15, 2010 @ 6:20 am

I LOVE gazpacho and have been craving it lately due to the heat! Yours looks delicious!

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly — June 15, 2010 @ 6:21 am

That looks like the perfect summer dish! Absolutely!!!

Jessie (Bites and Pieces) — June 15, 2010 @ 6:32 am

I love all types of gazpacho, but this one is definitely unique. How refreshing and perfect for summer! :)

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries — June 15, 2010 @ 6:34 am

I can’t get into gazpacho, but maybe I’ll give it another shot. This does look delish!

homecookedem — June 15, 2010 @ 6:48 am

I’ve never had gazpacho before! This looks intriguing!!

Jenna — June 15, 2010 @ 6:57 am

I have to admit, I’ve never had Gazpacho before. I know, who am I? This looks great and refreshing, though!

Tracy — June 15, 2010 @ 7:18 am

I wouldn’t be one to try cold pureed veggies either, but this looks gorgeous!

Jenna — June 15, 2010 @ 8:09 am

I have never tried gazpacho until my old director made it for me one day. I actually really liked it so I need to make this.

Kris | iheartwellness.com — June 15, 2010 @ 8:16 am

What an interesting meal! The colour is amazing and the ingredients sound fresh and delicious!

I think at first it would be really hard to get used to cold soup!

XXOO

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — June 15, 2010 @ 8:19 am

Regular gazpacho just feels like eating salsa to me, so I might have to give this a shot!

Priyanka — June 15, 2010 @ 8:35 am

I have never tried a Gazpacho in my life. This sure sounds interesting!!

Kristina — June 15, 2010 @ 9:01 am

this looks delicious… watermelon is the only way I eat gazpacho, also… (and I like tomatoes!!) :)

it’s *almost* warm enough here to make this…

Abby — June 15, 2010 @ 9:31 am

The pictures look great… the ingredient list makes me want to barf.

But you haven’t steered me wrong yet….

Miranda @ Mirandasjeans — June 15, 2010 @ 9:43 am

I have always wanated to want to try Gazpacho, but the thought of cold tomato soup just wasn’t winning me over. I have been thinking of being adventurous this year, and adding the watermelon might have done it. I will have to keep this post in mind one hot summer day.

Jennifurla — June 15, 2010 @ 10:18 am

How interesting, must try – my daughter would def like this one.

Blond Duck — June 15, 2010 @ 10:37 am

I love sugar. Way too much.

Holly — June 15, 2010 @ 11:07 am

YUMMMMM!! Yet another recipe I can’t wait to try! Might have to make it for my family get-together this weekend..along with the pretzel chocolate balls. My family has NO IDEA of the awesome goodies they will be getting this weekend :D

Katrina — June 15, 2010 @ 12:45 pm

Whoa! I would neeeever think to make this. But, since you did, and I trust you, I will too. Here it goes… :)

Sarah from 20somethingcupcakes — June 15, 2010 @ 1:47 pm

I bet it’s delicious! My aunt once made me a gazpacho with leftover ingredients in her fridge: green grapes, garlic, almonds, and I can’t remember what else – but it was the best thing I’ve ever had! Gotta love the gazpacho for summer. xxSAS

Nicole, RD — June 15, 2010 @ 1:57 pm

This looks woooonderful, and totally unique! I wonder if my hubby could dig it…

vanillasugar — June 15, 2010 @ 3:28 pm

watermelon is soooo good for you. i love my gazpacho in the summertime, super chunky. i would totally be up for trying watermelon in it.

marla {family fresh cooking} — June 15, 2010 @ 4:32 pm

So very interesting, I would never think to combine watermelon and tomatoes. I love that you tried this and liked it. Perfect for summer.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — June 15, 2010 @ 4:52 pm

I haven’t had gazpacho because I am not a fan of cold soups … but this sounds pretty good!

Simply Life — June 15, 2010 @ 5:00 pm

wow, this is so creative!

Bianca@ South Bay Rants n Raves — June 15, 2010 @ 5:35 pm

Thud would go great with the new Pinkberry watermelon yogurt! Both so summery!

Pure2raw twins — June 15, 2010 @ 5:58 pm

This looks so refreshing on a hot summer day! Thanks for the recipe! I have never been a fan of cold soups, but this sounds wonderful!

The Candid RD — June 15, 2010 @ 6:04 pm

I always hated when we had gazpacho soup at lunch in high school. Seriously, I cringed at the sight of it, HOWEVER, this sounds GREAT! I don’t think my palate was completely matured back then, or at least I wasn’t willing to give things a try as much as I am now. I think I would like this (although watermelon is on my list of FODMAPs, booo).

BTW, I will be in Pittsburgh this summer doing my training!! We HAVE to meet!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — June 15, 2010 @ 6:26 pm

I hope you have a marvelous time!!!!!!!!!! And that the Malibu is already cracked into. Omg girl, that’s one of my faves!!

The comment you left me today, that you have a friend that you can just pick up with whenever even after time has passed and that u and i would be that way..YES!!!!!

I love you soooo much and you are like the only person, I swear, who gets me and i think vice versa some days :)

HAVE FUN!!!!!!
    xoxo

Jil — June 15, 2010 @ 6:54 pm

Ummm – yum. I want.

Ashley — June 15, 2010 @ 6:58 pm

i’ve heard of fruit gazpacho. you are a girl who knows what i like! why don’t you come to bmore this weekend with miss Caitlin??? i promise i’ll make you something good… with sugar :)

Miz — June 16, 2010 @ 3:33 am

HUH
    could i eat a mixture of tomato and watermelon?

more importantly could I SNEAK it past the hubby?

Amanda — June 16, 2010 @ 5:07 am

Really neat!! I have never tried it and I am too chicken too… sad I know. GREAT pictures Jessica!

Anne @ the doctor takes a wife — June 16, 2010 @ 6:07 am

This looks super yummy :) And since it’s watermelon I would definitely be a fan.

Alyssa — June 16, 2010 @ 6:59 am

Eliana — June 16, 2010 @ 8:43 am

Perfect summer treat

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — June 16, 2010 @ 4:00 pm

Very interesting! I’ve never been one to try gazpacho, but now you might have convinced me. After all, you don’t like veggies, so it must be good, right?

jeopardy game — February 21, 2013 @ 3:12 am

One thing I would really like to discuss is that weightloss system fast can be
    achieved by the proper diet and exercise.

Someone’s size not simply affects the look, but also the quality of life. Self-esteem, depressive disorders, health risks, and also physical ability are influenced in weight gain. It is possible to make everything right but still gain. If this happens, a condition may be the root cause. While a lot of food rather than enough exercise are usually accountable, common health conditions and trusted prescriptions can certainly greatly help to increase size. I am grateful for your post here.

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Watermelon Gazpacho. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Menu: Light Summer Lunch. | How Sweet It Is