I always make fun of Mr. How Sweet for his quirky food obsessions.

Plain egg whites. Plain ground turkey. Protein bars.

I’m just glad he got over the tuna and hard-boiled egg phase. That stunk. Literally.

Lately I’ve had my own little obsession – muffins.

I want to make every flavor imaginable with every fruit imaginable, chock full of melted chips, chunks and swirls.

Are you sick of them yet?

Good. Because I am not even close.

Growing up, banana bread was one of those things that took forever to make, and about 3 seconds to disappear.

Myself, my brothers and my dad would hover around the oven like vultures, not being able to take the scent of banana bread wafting through the air.

My mom would make us wait even longer after insisting that the banana bread must cool. I obviously ignored that and would sneak large pieces of banana bread, ruining the loaf and scalding the roof of my mouth in the process.

I haven’t learned a thing. I still burn my tongue and the roof of my mouth approximately twice a week.

And I still eat entire loaves of banana bread in one sitting. One slice does nothing for me. Don’t lie. One slice is basically like eating a crumb.

I have made banana bread muffins before, loaded with peanut butter chips.

I am not sure if these muffins could beat those taste-wise (I mean, banana + peanut butter? What on earth could beat that?), but they are stuffed with fresh blueberries, big banana chunks, and whole wheat flour.

Tasty and good for you.

And since they have applesauce and banana in them, they are incredibly moist. Not dry and crumbly like many other whole wheat muffins.

Which ultimately can be a bad thing.

Because it makes you want to eat four at a time. Or even six. Each steaming hot and smothered with butter that melts into the tiny crevices of the muffin.

Great. Now I’m starving.

And these muffins are long gone.

Whole Wheat Blueberry Banana Bread Muffins

2 cups whole wheat flour

1/3 cup sugar

1 egg

1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

4 ripe bananas, mashed

1/2 cup blueberries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place muffin cups in muffin tins.

Mix sugar, applesauce, and egg until creamy and light yellow. Add bananas and vanilla. Add flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir until completely smooth. Fold in blueberries. Spoon the batter into the muffin tins. Top with course sugar.

Bake for 20-25 minutes, until toothpick poked in center muffin comes out clean.

I am troubled by the above picture.

Why are there not any of these muffins in my house right this instant? Why must the banana and blueberries look so perfect together? And more importantly, why isn’t there a giant slab of melty butter right smack in the middle?

112 Responses to “Whole Wheat Blueberry Banana Bread Muffins.”

Erica — June 22, 2010 @ 4:05 am

mmmm I bet banana and blackberry would be a pretty sweet combination as well. I feel like banana bread is the ultimate quick bread. Its sweet, moist and makes banging breakfast or snack.

Estela @ Weekly Bite — June 22, 2010 @ 4:21 am

I could make muffins all day long! These look delicious!

Jen — June 22, 2010 @ 5:00 am

mmmm banana and blueberry is my favorite fruit combo! I’m saving this recipe!

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — June 22, 2010 @ 5:08 am

I have a soft spot for muffins. Literally.

Love this recipe! Thanks! Thanks! Thanks!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — June 22, 2010 @ 5:13 am

“One slice is basically like eating a crumb.” So true.

Actually, I find that’s true of MANY baked goods. :-)

homecookedem — June 22, 2010 @ 5:14 am

I want these now!!!!! Blueberry muffins are really the only “sweet” baked good that I want these days. I will have to make these!! :)

Teri [a foodie stays fit] — June 22, 2010 @ 5:20 am

I am also troubled by the above picture. And probably will be until I make these myself.

kelly — June 22, 2010 @ 5:21 am

ooo I’ve made whole wheat banana blueberry muffins before!! So good :) I’ve also added some pecans and coconuts in as well.. Yum!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — June 22, 2010 @ 5:24 am

I have been craving blueberries so bad lately! I am hoping to go pick some soon! Your muffins look delicious!

Jessie (Bites and Pieces) — June 22, 2010 @ 5:27 am

These look like the perfect breakfast muffin recipe. It combines two of my all time favorite muffins!

Kate @ Cozydelicious — June 22, 2010 @ 5:31 am

These look so good. I have never done a banana bread with blueberries before, and it sounds awesome!

Autumn @ Good Eats Girl — June 22, 2010 @ 5:33 am

These look awesome! I love blueberry muffins and adding banana would be delish!

Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life) — June 22, 2010 @ 5:45 am

Those look amazing! Although the peanut butter and banana ones sound pretty incredible themselves… which one to try first?!

Kristy — June 22, 2010 @ 5:57 am

The recipe gods have spoken. Over the weekend I couldn’t decide if I wanted to make banana nut bread or blueberry muffins, now I don’t have to choose! Muchas Gracias!

Helen — June 22, 2010 @ 5:59 am

This combo is fab – good for you, buttery and moist! Loving bananas and blueberries together too.

shelly (cookies and cups) — June 22, 2010 @ 6:03 am

These look amazing! I love adding applesauce to muffins AND I still have blueberries in my fridge that I can’t get motivated use! Thanks!

Erin at The Healthy Apron — June 22, 2010 @ 6:30 am

oooo I am definitely linking to these today!! My readers will love them!

Lee Ann L. — June 22, 2010 @ 6:34 am

Ohhh, muffins! I love muffins (and cupcakes).

Cara — June 22, 2010 @ 6:37 am

Looks like perfection!

Krystal — June 22, 2010 @ 6:42 am

These look absolutely fantastic…blueberries and bananas are my two favorite fruits so I’ll have to try this. I’m just learning how to cook without calling the fire department 5 minutes into my attempt, and I’d love to give baking a try. You might be happy to know that my first successful meal I’ve EVER made was this past Saturday when I made your pizza pasta…and it was wonderful. My mom cried happy tears when I called her all excited that I made dinner for myself and it was edible!

• Jessica — June 22nd, 2010 @ 6:45 am

LOL this made me giggle – I just caught a pan of bacon on fire last week and seriously almost had to call the fire dept.

So glad that you liked the pizza pasta! :)

Lindsay — June 22, 2010 @ 6:46 am

Hi there! They look delicious! I love muffins! I have a few questions. First, do you create these delicious desserts and than give them away? If I had them in the house i’d eat them all… you see I live with 2 boys who don’t really care for sweets…so I am “forced” to eat them all.. haha.

Second- Does the whole wheat flour make them taste any different? I made muffins once with whole wheat flour and it tasted gritty. I’m wondering if it was just the recipe I used.

Love all of your recipes! I drool everytime I look at your blog. I mean really coconut brownies?? To die for!

• Jessica — June 22nd, 2010 @ 6:51 am

Hi – thanks so much!

We are pretty busy on the weekend which is when I usually bake, so there is always a party or family event that I can take it to. I also have all my family around, so I pawn it off on them.

If it is just my husband and I, I usually 1/2 or 1/4 a recipe so we don’t have a ton to eat.

• Jessica — June 22nd, 2010 @ 6:52 am

As for the whole wheat flour, in general it may taste drier than using all purpose flour, but mine has never tasted gritty. I find that using mashed fruit or applesauce or oil/milk usually helps with the dryness. I usually use King Arthur Whole Wheat.

Lindsay — June 22, 2010 @ 6:54 am

I’ve made banana blueberry bread, but now I must make these muffins stat!! I’ve had bananas just screaming from the freezer to be used for weeks…thanks for finally giving them a chance! :)

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life — June 22, 2010 @ 6:55 am

I just loaded up on blueberries at the grocery store – at least now I know what I can do with them! :)

CaSaundra — June 22, 2010 @ 7:00 am

You can never have enough muffin varities! These look amazing! And I love making muffins from scratch vs mixes.

Naomi (onefitfoodie) — June 22, 2010 @ 7:06 am

HOLY YUM!!! that looks so delicious!!!! i love that you added bananas in here to add to the moistness :) (hate that word but there was nothing else to describe!)

I say you make lemon poppyseed muffins! those are my favoriteeeee

Tjasha — June 22, 2010 @ 7:19 am

Hello! Um, YUM! My family hates me and my obsession with wheat flour over white. I dazzle (or in some opinions, ruin) my pancakes and muffins with whole wheat flour and/or flax, buckwheat, or any other “healthy” chew to make them more divine. Fruit chunks are a must and also make them gag. I love their reactions. I think they secretly love them or they’re too nice to tell me to move out or stop. Bless them…

Question: you put 1/2 tsp salt in your recipe twice. Do you put both in or was that a mistype? Mmhmm, that means I’m going to make these puppies!

• Jessica — June 22nd, 2010 @ 7:25 am

Typo – thanks!

Ally @ Sweet & Savory — June 22, 2010 @ 7:22 am

I’m a muffin lover as well…and I have bananas in my freezer and blueberries in my fridge…know what this means????

Kim — June 22, 2010 @ 7:29 am

The only problem I see is that they look a little small (smile). You really have a gift!!

Thank you for sharing.

• Jessica — June 22nd, 2010 @ 7:33 am

Well in that case, since they are little, we can eat a lot of them, right? ;)

• Kim — June 22nd, 2010 @ 8:24 am

You know when they look so delicious, it would really be difficult to choose between eating alot of little ones or baking the whole works into a loaf and eating alot of the loaf or baking some mega muffins and eating several of those. Seems like whenever you’re baking its Win/Win/Win either way….

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly — June 22, 2010 @ 7:33 am

Awesome! What a great combination!

Sara — June 22, 2010 @ 7:36 am

Muffins are the best! I don’t bake them too often though because I could easily eat 4 in one sitting. These look delish.

Wei-Wei — June 22, 2010 @ 7:39 am

I agree. I think muffins fresh hot out of the oven, with melty butter – absolute heaven in my mouth. And how sticky and sweet the blueberries get in the muffins – god, you’re making me hungry. D:

jenny — June 22, 2010 @ 7:43 am

Well, I know what I’m having for breakfast this weekend. Sadly, I’ll have to forgo the butter, but perhaps I’ll sneak a little nut butter in there somewhere…

Kristina — June 22, 2010 @ 7:53 am

yes, I agree, all they need is BUTTER… they look delicious.

Melanie — June 22, 2010 @ 8:06 am

Oh dear. Those look amazing! I’m going to have to try to make these, but somehow even with applesauce my muffins always turn out dry :(

Eliana — June 22, 2010 @ 8:27 am

A perfect breakfast treat :)

Lindsey @ Foodie on the Rocks — June 22, 2010 @ 8:32 am

Love that last picture. I love covering hot blueberry muffins with butter and letting it melt. I’m really craving muffins now…

Heather (Heather's Dish) — June 22, 2010 @ 8:41 am

i’m reading this and watching foodnetwork on my sick day and DEPRESSED that i can’t eat all day long!!!

Gaby — June 22, 2010 @ 8:46 am

I am obsessed with Banana Bread. Like literally obsessed. I don’t think there is a day when I don’t sneak a little bite from my stash in the fridge!! Love the whole wheat twist… I am going to have to give it a try! xo

• Jessica — June 22nd, 2010 @ 8:58 am

You have an ongoing stash of banana bread in your fridge? I would need to bake a loaf multiple times a day to have that!

Camille — June 22, 2010 @ 8:49 am

Mmm, the butter makes it look all the better!

Katie — June 22, 2010 @ 8:56 am

You’re right – banana bread is one of those things that is absolutely futile to resist or practice portion control. It’s irresistible.

Nicole — June 22, 2010 @ 8:57 am

this looks DELICIOUS! i can’t wait to try it! thanks for sharing!!

Kara @ MyWellnest — June 22, 2010 @ 9:26 am

I’m drooling, those look amazing! I’ve been wanting to make muffins for awhile now too :-)

Ashley — June 22, 2010 @ 9:41 am

Ooooh these look perfect! But where’s the coconut? ;)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — June 22, 2010 @ 9:54 am

memories of my grandma’s banana bread are ingrained in my childhood…omg so good.

Have a great day beautiful!!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — June 22, 2010 @ 9:58 am

Greaaaaat. Now I have to run to the store to buy applesauce!

april — June 22, 2010 @ 10:32 am

Mmm I bet those are delicious! They look so moist..mmm..

My mom used to always make us banana bread growing up. It’d be gone the same day she made it!

Nienke at Revel — June 22, 2010 @ 10:38 am

Mmmm – these seem perfect for the rainy day we are having! So moist and soft – AND good for you!

Laura — June 22, 2010 @ 10:38 am

Banana bread DOES take ages to make…or maybe i’m just very inpatient!! they look absolutely amazing and i LOVE the extra of apple sauce in the muffins xx

Julie — June 22, 2010 @ 10:40 am

Don’t stop making muffins!

Blond Duck — June 22, 2010 @ 11:39 am

I’ll take three. With giant slabs of butter, please.

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Whole Wheat Blueberry Banana Bread Muffins. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: | The Healthy Apron

3. Pingback: Adventures with Muffins « The Process of Healing

4. Pingback: Muffin Wednesday « Mission Healthy

5. Pingback: Black Raspberry Celebration | MyWellnest

6. Pingback: Whole Wheat Blueberry Banana Bread Muffins « Be Healthy, Be Happy, Be Well

7. Pingback: Blog Bake Sale « Carrots 'N' Cake

8. Pingback: make ahead meals « Hello, I Love You

9. Pingback: Things to Bake and Cook « Becca Rambles

10. Pingback: Blog Love | Emily is the new Black

11. Pingback: A Brief Review of: The Buddha (2010 PBS TV Documentary) | A Happier Emily

12. Pingback: Whole Wheat Blueberry Banana Muffins | Fitness & Feta

13. Pingback: Whole Wheat Blueberry-Banana Muffins | foodiEcology

14. Pingback: Blueberry Coconut Muffins | Coconut Muffin Recipe | Two Peas & Their Pod

15. Pingback: 47 days until…

16. Pingback: My eyes are pink and tips from a 15:04 5ker!

17. Pingback: Giveaway (5 winners!!!) for my new favorite sunglasses and Brooke keeps me injury free.