No, not those kind of cupcakes.

Cute, little savory cupcake-formed stacks of mac and cheese.

Healthy ones, too – made with whole wheat bread crumbs and whole wheat pasta.

Are you sold yet?

I figured this would be a good way to sneak in some veggies. Since I obviously have to cook for myself the way a mother needs to cook for a 3-year old.

When I look for vegetable recipes, I often turn to the masters of the kitchen – Giada in this case.

I also have my share of vegetarian and vegan cookbooks. No, I will never give up bacon and cheese, but I figure if anyone knows how to make vegetables taste good, it has to be vegetarians.

But I’m still stuck on the theory that vegetables taste like mud when I make them and like diamond-crusted, chocolate-stuffed bacon when someone else makes them for me. In other words, can you come over and cook some veggies for me?

Let me just say that I loved the cherry tomatoes in here. They were the best part – adding a bit of sweetness to the cheesy pasta.

Another thing I love is how versatile this dish is. Different cheeses, different pastas, different veggies (or not…) can all be substituted to personalize the cupcakes.

Baked Mac and Cheese Cupcakes

from Giada

Makes about 12 cupcakes

1 1/2 cups whole wheat pasta

1/2 cup shredded smoked cheddar cheese

1/2 cup shredded provolone cheese

1/4 cup parmesan cheese

1 pint grape tomatoes, quartered

1/4 zucchini, chopped

1-2 cups whole wheat bread crumbs

3 tablespoons olive oil

salt & pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400.

Boil pasta as the box states. Set aside in a large bowl. Chop tomatoes and zucchini, and season with salt and pepper.

Spray cupcake tins with non-stick spray, and coat with breadcrumbs, shaking any excess off.

In pasta bowl, add provolone and cheddar and combine. Add 2-3 tablespoons pasta mixture to each muffin tin. Place tomatoes and zucchini throughout pasta in each muffin top. Top with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of parmesan and breadcrumbs.

Bake for 12-15 minutes. Let cool completely, then gently remove with a spoon.

These would be a great weekend treat.

And you can eat a lot of them too, because you know, weekend calories don’t count.

123 Responses to “Baked Mac and Cheese Cupcakes.”

Angela @ A Healthy Fit — July 9, 2010 @ 4:04 am

Mmm, those look cheesy and divine. I would leave out the tomatoes though. I hate tomatoes. I do love tomato soup though. Hmmmm.

Abby (Nibble, Nourish, Run) — July 9, 2010 @ 4:05 am

Look at those veggies! These look so delicious…and I completely agree – weekend calories never count. And neither do red wine ones right?!

Courtney @ Three Months — July 9, 2010 @ 4:13 am

These look so darn yummy!!

Christie {Honoring Health} — July 9, 2010 @ 4:14 am

Look at you, you’ll be publishing recipes for kale salad and sauteed spinach in no time.

Ok, ok, I’ve gone too far.

Does look mighty delish though.

Estela @ Weekly Bite — July 9, 2010 @ 4:18 am

These look so cute! My daughter (and me) would love them :)

Erica — July 9, 2010 @ 4:19 am

oh my gosh- what a great idea! Perfect for kids and grown up kids alike! Giada has so many great recipes. Have a good weekend

Gabriela — July 9, 2010 @ 4:21 am

These look delicious. They would make such a cute appetizer for a party, too!

Wei-Wei — July 9, 2010 @ 4:24 am

I was sold the second I read the title. These look amazing, but I would make them with the little elbow pasta instead of penne ;) More cheese distribution :D

Wei-Wei

Julie @ Pickley Pear — July 9, 2010 @ 4:36 am

Super cute idea to bake them in muffin cups, I’d probably eat all 12 defeating the purpose. Regardless, great way to add veggies to the meal!

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — July 9, 2010 @ 4:46 am

They are SO cute! They would be great finger food for a party too. What a great idea.

Katie @ Healthy Heddleston — July 9, 2010 @ 4:50 am

Those look fabulous! What kind of little baking dish was that? Can’t wait to try them!

• Jessica — July 9th, 2010 @ 4:53 am

I used a muffin tin.

• Katie @ Healthy Heddleston — July 9th, 2010 @ 11:57 am

Oh gosh, I couldn’t even tell in that picture! They looked like separate little tinnies!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — July 9, 2010 @ 4:53 am

How I love Giada. I so badly want to be invited to one of her LA dinner parties!! :-)

These look so good…I love how they crisp up!

Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — July 9, 2010 @ 4:56 am

Love this idea! They look delicious!! Would make a great dinner party appetizer. Yummy :)

Jenn

Sharlene — July 9, 2010 @ 5:03 am

These are so adorable! I’m always a fan of things that portion themselves out. Keeps me from overeating TOO much. Giada is one of my go-tos too!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — July 9, 2010 @ 5:04 am

Giada is brilliant when it comes to sneaking in those healthy things. I say do what works for you to get the good stuff in! I do it with my oldest son. The youngest one will eat just about any vegetable straight up! These look yummy! Have a great Friday!

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — July 9, 2010 @ 5:13 am

You are brilliant!!!

allijag — July 9, 2010 @ 5:19 am

Girl, you are always making the most fun stuff! :) Love this idea – thanks for sharing! :)

Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) — July 9, 2010 @ 5:27 am

What a fun recipe! I love cute individual things like this!

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly — July 9, 2010 @ 5:32 am

Those are cute!!! What a great idea for kids!!!

Kristy — July 9, 2010 @ 5:33 am

When I see you tweet you new posts the titles usually make me say WTF but without fail I fall in love with your creations! :-)

Abby — July 9, 2010 @ 5:37 am

Dave read this post before I did….so I now am under strict orders to make these!

Yes, my husband reads your blog :)

Sophie @ yumventures — July 9, 2010 @ 5:37 am

The only problem with these is that I would eat a million. Once you pop…!

Duchess of Fork — July 9, 2010 @ 5:41 am

Too cute! Isn’t everything cuter when baked in a cupcake tin? We do stuffing cupcakes at Thanksgiving…it’s the perfect portion. :)

Cara — July 9, 2010 @ 5:46 am

Yum! I like making “mini macs” in mini muffin tins – always a hit at parties and they can be made ahead and frozen too. However when I cook for others it’s always a lot more fattening. I like this veggie-full version for myself!

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies — July 9, 2010 @ 5:47 am

For a second, I was a little curious about the title! haha Those look awesome though. A great idea for weekday lunches/snacks on the go.

Heather (Heather's Dish) — July 9, 2010 @ 5:53 am

why is it that i haven’t thought of this before? you would think what with my mac and cheese obsession i would be famous for them now… ;)

Naomi (onefitfoodie) — July 9, 2010 @ 5:54 am

love giada!! well kinda, her smile is kinda over the top, but her recipes ROCK! this looks SO good! and you can bake a bunch and serve them at a party! i love it!

homecookedem — July 9, 2010 @ 5:56 am

These look like they really could be great finger foods for mom’s trying to sneak in some veggies for their kids. Or delicious party food for grown ups too!!!!!

Jess @ MTL Veggie — July 9, 2010 @ 5:57 am

These look delicious! It would also be fun to try them out using Mexican inspired ingredients like salsa, avocado and green peppers.

Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life) — July 9, 2010 @ 6:05 am

Those are precious! They’d be perfect to serve at a party… love ‘em!

PS- don’t you love that calories don’t count on weekends? ;)

Heather @ Side of Sneakers — July 9, 2010 @ 6:15 am

Awesome idea! :)

Mellissa — July 9, 2010 @ 6:20 am

There is something about everything Giada publishes that I am drawn to! Or maybe it is just her cleavage ;) Kidding aside, everything I have made of her has turned out.

Nichole — July 9, 2010 @ 6:21 am

Anything in the form of a cupcake is going to be good, but this is a step above. Great, easy, idea!

Paula — July 9, 2010 @ 6:21 am

that`s really impressive!

have a nice day,
    Paula

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) — July 9, 2010 @ 6:28 am

Mac and Cheese is good in any form, I believe!

Camille — July 9, 2010 @ 6:39 am

These would make a great appetizer! Score!

Michelle — July 9, 2010 @ 6:49 am

These look awesome and they would be perfect for appetizers at a party! Love it!

marla {family fresh cooking} — July 9, 2010 @ 6:51 am

Jessica, your savory cupcakes look great. Giada is always such a great inspiration. Come to think of it, so are you! xo

Katharine — July 9, 2010 @ 6:57 am

These are so cute! (Is it weird I think food is cute?) They look delish and would make a perfect appetizer. :)

Nienke at Revel — July 9, 2010 @ 7:06 am

These are seriously so cute! Can’t wait to try it out!! It’s all about portion control, right ;)

Diana — July 9, 2010 @ 7:12 am

Those look wonderful! I saw the episode where Giada made them and it looked like such a fun project. Bet they’d be great at a potluck dinner party! :)

Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) — July 9, 2010 @ 7:14 am

Oh no you didn’t!!!

Matt — July 9, 2010 @ 7:31 am

Those look delicious! I am a huge fan of cheese and carbs combined together ;)

Kacy — July 9, 2010 @ 7:44 am

What a cute idea! I’ve never seen such a thing (what an old-lady thing to say)!

Biz — July 9, 2010 @ 7:55 am

You always crack me up with your non-vegetable eating! I only ate cucumbers growing up – turns out my Mom overcooked every other vegetable and that’s why I didn’t like them.

I actually didn’t start eating veggies until about 10 years ago – and I was 32 then!

Kelly — July 9, 2010 @ 8:02 am

mmm i am making this into a giant casserole so i can’t keep track of how many i’ve had!

Shanna @ Shanna Like Banana — July 9, 2010 @ 8:03 am

I was sold at mac n cheese, and then you threw in cupcake! Oh boy…yum!

Aubri @ Tried and Tried Again — July 9, 2010 @ 8:05 am

If I ask my 4 year old what she wants to watch on TV, she says “Giada”. We saw her make these, and I’ve been wanting to try them…they look delish! Awesome way to hide those veggies!

Yum Yucky — July 9, 2010 @ 8:09 am

You tricked me. But the end result makes me moan with food lust anyways.

Jenna — July 9, 2010 @ 8:15 am

Weekend calories TOTALLY don’t count. ;)

I think I’ve got to make these little gems. These look seriously legit.

1 2 3

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Baked Mac and Cheese Cupcakes | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Baked Mac and Cheese Cupcakes « Brownies and Zucchini

3. Pingback: Friday Favorites – Episode 58 | my kitchen addiction

4. Pingback: BBQ Chicken Pasta Bake. | How Sweet It Is

5. Pingback: Annual Shony Christmas Party | theSheenBean

6. Pingback: Mac N Cheese and Lasagna Cupcakes | Love Cupcakes

7. Pingback: Tuesday Twosome Food and Drink Comfort Late Night Appetizers Wedding ā€” Wilmington Weddings Blog

8. Pingback: A Delicious Dinner for Two… ā€“ Sprinkle Joy.

9. Pingback: Easy and Fun |