I don’t like nuts in my desserts.

I like nuts on their own – almonds, peanuts, walnuts and more. But when they are mixed into my cookies or brownies or ice cream or bacon, it’s a no-go. Not a fan. And yes, I just said bacon.

But that all flies out the window when it comes to these cookies.

I have never liked nuts in chocolate, so it came as a surprise to me when I found out that I loved turtles – the candy, not the animal.

I think it is the sweet and salty combo. It never fails me.

I have decided that nuts taste good in desserts if I expect them. If I am expecting a soft and chewy brownie and bite down on a walnut, all bets are off.

I just couldn’t stop thinking about salty pecans in these chocolate cookies. It’s no secret that I love this cookie recipe – I’ve made a form of it almost every single week.

So I added more sea salt than usual, added some salty pecans, and large chunks of caramel.

Perfect doesn’t even begin to describe them.

Salty Chocolate-Caramel Turtle Cookies

Makes approximately 24 cookies

1 cup butter, at room temperature

1 1/2 cups sugar

2 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla

2 cups flour

1/2 cup cocoa powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon course sea salt

1 cup chocolate chips

1/2 cup chopped pecans

8 caramels, chopped into fours

Cream butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla until fluffy. Add flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt and mix until combined.

Fold in pecans, caramel pieces and chocolate chips. Refrigerate dough for 4-6 hours (or more). When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350, roll into balls and set on baking sheet. (Note: refrigerating is the most important part. If you don’t refrigerate, when the cookies go into the oven, the caramel pieces will sink to the bottom and stick to the cookie sheet.)

Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes. Let cool completely, and drizzle with caramel sauce if desired.

I don’t think you can ever go wrong with the sweet and salty combo.

110 Responses to “Salty Chocolate-Caramel Turtle Cookies.”

Lele — July 12, 2010 @ 11:28 am

Mmmm I definitely do like nuts in my desserts! And sweet and salty is the bessssssssst. Can’t wait to make these!

Kris | iheartwellness.com — July 12, 2010 @ 11:29 am

Oh my heart just stopped! These are fab!! I think I need to come live at your house since this is where the treats are :)

xxoo

Robyn @ Frugal 'n' Fit! — July 12, 2010 @ 11:39 am

Those look insane to put it mildly. I love the caramel topping!

Natalie (The Sweets Life) — July 12, 2010 @ 11:41 am

I’m drooling at my desk. When I make these I might have to double the recipe, I’m afraid the first 24 will go too fast!

Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete — July 12, 2010 @ 12:05 pm

I’ve died and gone to heaven!! These seriously look amazing! Too bad I won’t be getting any of my kitchen stuff from Germany for another 2-3 weeks. :(

Anne @ the doctor takes a wife — July 12, 2010 @ 12:24 pm

This has always been my favorite kind of ice cream sundae… now it’s a cookie!!

Would it bad to make an ice cream sandwich with it… … …??

Yum Yucky — July 12, 2010 @ 12:55 pm

I love you too.. ha!

Tia — July 12, 2010 @ 1:01 pm

wowza… looking DEELISH!!!

• Jessica — July 12th, 2010 @ 1:05 pm

I love your blog name!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — July 12, 2010 @ 1:08 pm

I love the sweet and salty combo!

Fit Chick in the City — July 12, 2010 @ 1:10 pm

I’m with totally with you, I generally don’t like nuts in my deserts. However salty and sweet = the perfect combo.

Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — July 12, 2010 @ 1:28 pm

I’d sell my mom for a bite of those right now… lol

Jenn

Stacey @ Tipping the (Kitchen!) Scales — July 12, 2010 @ 1:43 pm

Wow, those cookies look insanely good!!

Nicole, RD — July 12, 2010 @ 2:15 pm

Must…make…soon! You are evil and I love it!

Ashley — July 12, 2010 @ 2:48 pm

Damnit…I looked anyway…gr ;) These look amazing! I don’t usually like nuts in baked goods either…but definitely would like these and I do like walnuts in banana bread/zucchini bread. These would make amazing brownies too..I would put the nuts on top. Why that makes a difference I don’t know, but I don’t like nuts baked into brownies. haha Anywaaaaay I’m rambling. <3

Lisa @bakebikeblog — July 12, 2010 @ 2:49 pm

BOY OH BOY! That drizzled caramel just adds the perfect finishing touch!

Jil — July 12, 2010 @ 3:04 pm

Oh. Wow.

Notes from the Fatty File — July 12, 2010 @ 3:16 pm

I cannot bake these right now because I’m trying to lose weight and I would inhale the entire cookie sheet by myself (I LOVE the salty/sweet combo) but I am totally saving this recipe for Christmas when I have an excuse to bake. I cannot wait.

Well those are sinfully delicious.

Katie — July 12, 2010 @ 3:35 pm

You also can’t go wrong when you make something with “turtle” in the title.

Alyssa — July 12, 2010 @ 3:54 pm

Hey Jessica,

Just wanted to let you know that I am hosting a Food Should Taste Good Giveaway on my blog! Winner gets 5 FREE BAGS OF FSTG CHIPS!!

~Alyssa

Efi — July 12, 2010 @ 5:10 pm

I hate nuts in my desserts too!

Oh these cookies look so good. I can see me eat a dozen of them with almond milk :)

The Candid RD — July 12, 2010 @ 5:22 pm

I agree. I never like nuts in my brownies and cookies, but sometimes they are a must! Rare, but sometimes.

I’m in Pittsburgh! Near the Shaddy Side Market District. IS that right, Shady Side? I’m getting them all confused. I think I said Robinson before. Are you close??

diva — July 12, 2010 @ 5:35 pm

Funny, I love nuts on their own and in most things but definitely not in cookies or brownies! How weird. i need to make turtle cookies have heard so much about them. :) looks yum x

lindsay — July 12, 2010 @ 7:20 pm

Can I just say that I am thoroughly impressed! You comment on everyone’s blog. Thats awesome! How do you do it? You must have mad computer skills, haha. Not to mention mad baking skills! those look amazing. I love salty and sweet, like chocolate covered pretzels. ;)

CaSaundra — July 13, 2010 @ 5:50 am

I am not a big nut fan either, but these still look heavenly and I bet they just make the cookies :-)

Salah@myhealthiestlifestyle — July 13, 2010 @ 8:02 am

My mouth is watering so much….these looks absolutely amazing!!!

One Healthy Apple — July 13, 2010 @ 10:07 pm

I don’t really get the salty and sweet except for when caramel is involved and this looks so right! Now if I get myself away from my computer screen and bake as much as I talk about it, I might get my stuff together to make this. Yum!

Meagan — July 14, 2010 @ 10:52 am

These look great! I will make them gluten free, but I don’t have any caramels. I’ll probably use some white chocolate, dark chocolate chips and pecans/walnuts. Could they still be called turtle? Haha!

Skinny Sushi — July 14, 2010 @ 11:13 am

These are AMAZING! Thanks so much. My 14mo old daughter is totally obsessed with them.

Kathy — July 14, 2010 @ 11:40 am

So my sister sent me your link for the Smore brownies. Never got around to making those, but then I see these. So dang good! I rolled my last batch in the sea salt and it was my favorite!

Mary — July 14, 2010 @ 1:02 pm

Ohhhhhh my gosh. I’m licking the screen!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — July 15, 2010 @ 9:51 am

These look great… I definitely agree with you about sweet and salty – especially when caramel is involved!

Meagan — July 16, 2010 @ 6:14 am

I just made these. I used white chocolate chips and walnuts and made them GF. THESE ARE AMAZING!!

• Jessica — July 16th, 2010 @ 6:15 am

So glad you liked them!

Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) — July 16, 2010 @ 7:24 am

These look delicious, and I too, usually hate nuts in desserts!

Comfy Cook — August 12, 2010 @ 10:55 am

You have wonderful recipes. I think, I will be spending lots of time here. THanks.

• Jessica — August 12th, 2010 @ 11:02 am

Thank you! :)

Kayla — September 9, 2010 @ 12:19 pm

Hmm, I know if I make these I’ll eat ALL of them and get fat. My thighs tell me NO but my mouth says YES YES!

Brenda Dunn — September 15, 2010 @ 7:29 am

I can totally relate to you. I don’t like all nuts, but the ones I do like, they have to be plain. Do not put them in a dessert. Except for turtles, I love turtles! I would love to see how these come out with using caramel bits (made by kraft). Sounds like a the perfect cookie to make.

Wei-Wei — October 8, 2010 @ 5:20 am

I just got here from your “chocolate” post: you know what? I made monster cookies with the following ingredients: chocolate chips, oats, marshmallows, and pecans. And there was a little too much salt. I don’t think they were monster cookies: I think they were THESE cookies. HA. Great minds think alike :D

• Jessica — October 8th, 2010 @ 5:26 am

Those sound incredible!

Ingrid — October 11, 2010 @ 3:27 pm

Sold!

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy — October 12, 2010 @ 8:21 pm

Love nuts in just about anything. I concur with all, these look amazing. They would make a lovely snack. Or dinner. :-)

Amanda F. — October 23, 2010 @ 4:46 pm

There are no words to describe how scrumptious and delicious those look! The first available chance I get, I am making these cookies! Thanks so much for sharing ^_^

Lb — December 14, 2010 @ 4:38 pm

I got bragging rights at work for making these. Thanks!

Connie — January 22, 2011 @ 6:43 pm

I have been trying to make chocolate chip turtle cookies for some time. I can
    t get them to the perfection of the toll house turtle cookies you buy to bake. i would like to know if these caramels in this cookie receipe stays soft after cooling or if they become hardened ?

• Jessica — January 24th, 2011 @ 1:56 am

I use the little caramel “balls” that Kraft makes now. The caramels do harden a little bit, but honestly these don’t last more than a few days for us to notice!

Stephanie — October 2, 2011 @ 12:26 am

I see a lot of people leaving comments about how good these look but not many who have actually tried them! I tried these out today and not only were they easy but absolutley delicious! The hardest part is having to wait before cooking them. Excellent recipe and would recommend to anyone. Enjoy.

Heather — December 1, 2011 @ 9:26 pm

cookies are DELICIOUS!! great recipe…..however, to further avoid the caramel from burning I would only put the cookies on the top rack. All of my cookies on the bottom rack burnt on the bottom with the caramel and the top rack was PERFECT. thanks for sharing!! loved them…

Kim — December 4, 2011 @ 1:03 am

These cookies are incredible! My family loves them – my husband it taking them to a charity bake sale next week. Thank you for the recipe!

Sarah Didier — December 17, 2011 @ 3:07 am

omg just made these for my husband and his friend. They inhaled them and raved about how delicious they were! Thank you so much because I have a reputation to keep up! They always expect good cooking/baking from me!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Salty Chocolate-Caramel Turtle Cookies. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Eat Your Corn! « Heather's Dish