Sweet Potato Homefries.
You are probably checking this out, thinking about how healthy these home fries are since I made them with sweet potatoes. Right?
Well, hold the phone.
I may have done something bad.
I may have fried them in bacon grease.
And when I say ‘may,’ I really mean that I absolutely did and it was 100% fabulous.
See, I have a little confession.
I don’t always fry my bacon.
Let’s be honest – it’s messy, it’s time consuming, and I am not always in the mood to get burnt by flying bacon grease.
So many times, especially during the week, I lay it on a wire rack and bake it, letting the drippings fall onto the baking sheet below.
And then I throw them away. Yes, you heard me correctly, I throw away the drippings.
Somewhere in Heaven (hopefully…) Mother Lovett just had her 14th heart attack.
And somewhere 15 minutes away from me, my mother just dropped dead.
In my family, throwing away the drippings is the ultimate sin.
But yesterday, I decided to fry bacon. It is so much better that way.
And then I dumped the drippings in a jar and placed them in the back of the fridge, just like Mother Lovett would have.
The only difference is that my drippings won’t be in there for the next 3 years.
- 1 large sweet potato, chopped
- 1/4 sweet onion, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, or bacon grease!
- Heat skillet on medium heat. Add oil and chopped onion. If you don’t want the onions crispy and brown, add them once the potatoes have cooked half way. Season the sweet potato with salt, pepper, and paprika.
- Add the sweet potato and let brown before flipping.
Obviously, you don’t need to use bacon grease to make sweet potato homefries.
But I promise if you do, it will rock your world.