Banana Colada.

I have a new favorite drink!

And it doesn’t contain rum.

Though I think it would be wonderful with a splash of coconut rum or banana schnapps. But that may not bode well for first thing in the morning.

Or it actually may be an excellent idea.

My favorite flavors revolve around the tropical variety. I love vanillas, coconuts, bananas, and similar flavors. I have a lipgloss and candle stash that could rival Imelda Marcos’ shoe collection – full of scents good enough to eat.

So I am always looking to those flavors to create smoothies, cocktails, granolas, and most meals in general.

This shake is also protein-packed, but it tastes so delicious that you may not think it is healthy.

I love when that happens.

Why can’t it happen with vegetables? Why can’t they all taste like bacon? Or chocolate?

Banana Colada

Serves 1

3/4 cup lite coconut milk

1/2 cup pineapple juice

1 frozen banana (it doesn’t need to be frozen, but they are the best!)

1/4 cup pineapple chunks

1/2 cup plain greek yogurt

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

pinch of sea salt

Combine all ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth. Garnish with coconut if desired.

Even if you don’t like bananas, you can swap out the fruit and make another flavored colada.

Just as tasty.

But if you don’t like bananas? Really… who are you? How can one survive without bananas?

I need your help! I’ve talked about my best friend’s baby, Morgan, before. She is my buddy. We get along so well because we both have chubby thighs and love to eat ice cream. She is in the running to be the new face of Gerber, and makes the cutest “fishy face” ever. Please vote for her! (It will ask for your email, but doesn’t send you anything. I promise. I’ve voted my buttcheeks off.)

81 Responses to “Banana Colada.”

Natalie (The Sweets Life) — August 11, 2010 @ 1:28 pm

oh yum! …but i’m adding malibu :)

Melinda — August 11, 2010 @ 1:47 pm

Hey, my mom doesn’t like bananas. I happen to love them though, especially with PB. I vote for some rum in this drink! Ok, not for breakfast, but for later in the day :)

Lori — August 11, 2010 @ 3:35 pm

That looks incredibly delicious… I want one. Now. ;)

Lisa @bakebikeblog — August 11, 2010 @ 3:41 pm

oh my – THIS will be going on my ‘to make’ list when the weather warms up!

Ellen@FirednFabulous — August 11, 2010 @ 3:56 pm

Ohh but can you put rum in it if you want to? Just a little ;)

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — August 11, 2010 @ 4:08 pm

i agree with the banana thing! I LOVE THEM! so hard to not eat them now *sighhhh* but they will not be lost forever from my life i can GAURENTEE you that! thank you for all your help and advice jess! I so so so appreciate it you are the best!

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com — August 11, 2010 @ 4:59 pm

i love this banana colada just the way it is. any chocolate additions wouldnt be necessary. mmm makes me thing im in the tropics <3

Sarah:) — August 11, 2010 @ 6:11 pm

Mmm, that looks SO good!! If you want to submit this (and one of the pics) to the Coconut Recipes blog you could win 2 quarts of Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil from Tropical Traditions (or something else of choice, just let me know if we accept your recipe).

Oh, and totally OT but I saw this and was like, “Ohhh.my.goodness.” http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Hogs-and-Kisses/Detail.aspx You gotta check it out, it has your name all over it.

Sarah:) — August 11, 2010 @ 6:12 pm

P.S. Here’s the submission link if you’re interested: http://www.freecoconutrecipes.com/recipe_submission.cfm

lisa — August 11, 2010 @ 6:13 pm

banana! and coconut! I gotta try this!! :)

lisa — August 11, 2010 @ 6:13 pm

oops- typed in my own website wrong (i added an extra “w” to “www”- )just re-commenting!

Pure2raw twins — August 11, 2010 @ 6:38 pm

OMG this sounds amazing…I bet some rum would be great in it too!

Rachel (@Smile Out Loud) — August 11, 2010 @ 8:48 pm

Just stuck a couple of bananas in the freezer so I can make this first-thing tomorrow morning!! Looks DELISH :D

Nicole, RD — August 12, 2010 @ 3:50 am

That looks delicious! I love mason jar mugs!

…off to vote! Have a great day, Jessica!

Kerri — August 12, 2010 @ 6:00 am

I am absolutely trying that recipe. Looks so yummy. Off to vote now!

Sarah — August 12, 2010 @ 10:15 am

That looks so good. Currently I am in the market for great tasting drinks that do not have alcohol in it. This looks so good :)

Voting for that precious baby now!

Alexa@Living La Vida Pura — August 12, 2010 @ 11:12 am

Coconut is such a magical ingredient! It somehow makes things taste so much more decadent and rich.

Bianca @ south bay rants n raves — August 12, 2010 @ 12:08 pm

Cute cute cute!!! I’m seeing a lot of recipes with Greek yogurt as well. I love how easy smoothies are to make & how many ways you can make them as well!

Erin — August 12, 2010 @ 2:26 pm

This sounds delish, but has anyone else looked at the nutritional content of this thing??? I just plugged the ingredients into my calorie counter, and this is what it adds up to:

455 calories.

20 grams of fat. (yes, TWENTY!)

68 carbs.

47 grams of sugar.

… and all for a measly little 8 grams of protein.

Even if you only had half, its still not looking so good.

Seriously, you’d be better off just having an *actual* pina colada (Barcardi’s pre-made frozen kind is only 170 calories!)

*sigh*

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this is neither “healthy” nor “protein-packed”.

• Jessica — August 12th, 2010 @ 2:42 pm

I am not sure which calorie site you used, but there will be a range on macronutrients based on products used. My greek yogurt has 10g of protein per 1/2 cup – not saying that is much higher, but that is from the yogurt itself. I also used lite coconut milk which only has about 10g of fat per 3/4 cup – not sure where you are getting 20g of fat? Again, the fat content would also depend on the yogurt being used – is there fat in the yogurt or is it non-fat that you are using? This is all based on how you make the drink.

I also don’t find fat to be “bad” and often have around 15-20g in a meal – it keeps me satisfied. Same with the sugar – there is no added sugar in the forms of syrups, etc – it is all from fruit. Fruit is natural and full of nutrients, and I don’t restrict it because of it’s sugar content.

• Erin — August 12th, 2010 @ 3:00 pm

I agree, I usually don’t look at fat content, but that number was just *so* high that I couldn’t not share it.

I use MyPlate at livetsrong.com – its a verified site so I trust the numbers it gives me, plus it lets me compare different brands. Looking through it now, it looks like most of the lite coconut milk is the same in terms of calories/fat/etc regardless of brand, although there is a bit more variation in the yogurt. I used Artemis for my totals.

In any case, I think the total caloric and carb load here is still too high to justify the relatively low amount of protein, at least to have on a regular basis. But a little banana colada treat every once in a while wouldn’t hurt :)

Lea @ healthy coconut — August 12, 2010 @ 4:02 pm

Hi,

I’m a new reader to you blog. Hello :)

Anything coconut I love. These combo of flavors reminds me of all my tropical vacations.

Shannon @ bakeandbloom.com — August 12, 2010 @ 5:03 pm

dribble, dribble, dribbe. Darn you woman! My blender is broken, what am I going to dooo!?

• Jessica — August 12th, 2010 @ 5:06 pm

Resort to the food processor! I would die if my blender broke.

Shannon @ bakeandbloom.com — August 12, 2010 @ 5:42 pm

I don’t have a food processor either! WAAAAAA! I could use my bamix & a tall jug though!

Morgan @ Healthy Happy Place — August 12, 2010 @ 6:21 pm

banana coladas are my all time favorite beach drink! i usually let the bartenders handle it, but maybe I’ll try this recipe out and see if I can handle it!

Emily — August 12, 2010 @ 8:37 pm

I have been on a never-ending search for smoothies recently because it is just so darn hard to eat most foods [gracefully] with braces. This looks perfect to break up the strawberry banana monotony. Can’t wait to try it!

Allison — August 13, 2010 @ 5:16 pm

Can not wait to make this..It’s sounds HEAVENLY…

Brittany — August 16, 2010 @ 12:57 am

MY FAVOURITE!!!! Great combination :)

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Banana Colada. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com