You may remember that a few months ago I began a mutual love affair with hummus.

Yes, that’s right.

I love hummus and hummus loves me.

But don’t go thinking that I dip veggies into it or anything.

Give me a bag of Stacy’s pita chips and I’ll go to town. I’m in heaven. My life is complete.

And I also lose all self control.

I have developed an affection for any type of bean dip. And I love the endless combinations that can be created.

I also get the hummus and bean dips all to myself. Mr. How Sweet won’t touch them since they lack meat. Even though they have a bit of protein and a lot of fiber, he resists.

I’m not complaining; he doesn’t need the extra fiber. Trust me.

I figured that the marriage of creamy beans and pesto would be fantastic. I love pesto, but I don’t love traditional pesto made with basil. My favorite is made with arugula – it has a peppery bite to it. I also add a good bit of cheese, and it just can’t be beat.

I know the whole cheese thing probably comes as a shock. I’ll give you a minute to decompress.

So not only are there garbanzo and cannellini beans in this dip, there is spicy, cheesy arugula pesto layered and swirled throughout.

I love it as a dip itself, but I imagine it would be just as delicious on sandwiches and salads.

Two Bean Pesto Dip

makes about 1 1/2 cups

1 1/2 cups cooked garbanzo beans

1 1/2 cups cooked cannellini beans

1/4 cup pesto (I used arugula pesto)

1/3 cup olive oil (may need a bit more)

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

In a food processor, combine beans and process. Stream in olive oil slowly until desired consistency is reached. Add salt, pepper and garlic and continue to blend.

Add to a bowl and layer with pesto. You can also just mix directly with pesto.

Serve with pita or tortilla chips.

I probably would have learned to love hummus earlier in life, but it wasn’t something we ever had when we were younger.

Case in point: my mom recently asked me if hummus was made with cannoli beans. You can learn two things from this statement. First, we didn’t eat many beans growing up either, unless they were of the baked variety. Second, we clearly aren’t Italian.

89 Responses to “Two Bean Pesto Dip.”

Dana — August 18, 2010 @ 11:19 am

This is genius! Hummus and pesto in one dip…. yum!

Betty @ scrambled hen fruit — August 18, 2010 @ 11:47 am

We didn’t have hummus growing up either. If we didn’t grow it in our garden, chances are we didn’t eat it. I do love it now, and also love pesto, though I’ve never made it with arugula. This sounds delicious!

Evan@swEEts — August 18, 2010 @ 12:32 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever had pesto that isn’t made with basil! I can’t wait to try this now!

Michelle — August 18, 2010 @ 12:40 pm

Pesto and hummus are two of my favorite things to make! This looks AWESOME!

Eliana — August 18, 2010 @ 12:44 pm

This sounds and looks like the perfect flavor combination to get any party started the right way. Can’t wait to make it for myself.

Lauren at KeepItSweet — August 18, 2010 @ 1:29 pm

yum! I had a hummus from trader joes that tasted like it was flavored with pesto… great idea for making something like that from scratch.

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — August 18, 2010 @ 1:39 pm

omg i am obsessed with arugala pesto!! (and walnuts, no pinenuts!) this is the BEST idea! i never would have thought to marriage the two!! it is so beautiful too :) perfect for summer!

Jess, I <3 you

Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum — August 18, 2010 @ 2:12 pm

Ooooh, looks delicious! And thank you for not dipping veggies in hummus.

Ellen@FirednFabulous — August 18, 2010 @ 2:47 pm

You are a freakin GENIUS. Never in a million years would I have thought of the hummus/pesto combo!

Lea @ healthy coconut — August 18, 2010 @ 3:19 pm

I love hummus too. I get the big tub from Costco. I tried making it once and I added too much garlic and it wasn’t good. You can smell the hummus before you can taste it. Since then I haven’t made another attempt to make it, but this recipe sounds easy enough I might try again :)

Leah @ Why Deprive? — August 18, 2010 @ 3:34 pm

Im obsessed with hummus. And pesto. The two together is a stroke of genius!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — August 18, 2010 @ 4:17 pm

I like the combo of the garbanzos and cannellini beans… Sounds great! Hummus isn’t such a bad thing to be obsessed with. It could be worse!

deeba — August 18, 2010 @ 5:51 pm

How novel and creative Jessica. Love your love affair with hummus … poor Mr How Sweet, being denied carnivorous pleasures here. I would love to dive into a bowl of this. Great idea to combine the beans!!

Katie — August 18, 2010 @ 6:01 pm

Oh my pesto. This looks UNREAL. I could literally eat pesto straight up like soup…mmm this recipe is killer.

Annie@stronghealthyfit — August 18, 2010 @ 6:06 pm

Umm Arugula Pesto??!! That just blew my mind. I love arugula and must make this ASAP!

Lauren @ Fun, Fit, and Fabulous! — August 18, 2010 @ 7:06 pm

I can’t wait to try out this hummus. I was actually just telling my office mate that I wanted to make homemade hummus this weekend, and voila here is an amazing sounding recipe.

Oh and I almost died laughing at your comment about Mr. How Sweet It Is, because my husband thinks hummus is some kind of alien food!!! If it isn’t meat or sugar he’s not touching it!!!! MEN!

Stacey@ — August 18, 2010 @ 7:06 pm

I love white bean/garbanzo bean dips. I;m going to make this for my next party.

Sarah — August 18, 2010 @ 7:15 pm

I have so much basil in my garden right now and this would be a great recipe to use it on. I love homemade hummus. Thanks for the recipe!

Caitlin — August 18, 2010 @ 7:58 pm

Sounds like your Mom and I have a culinary knowledge in common.

I like this lady.

AND I am so glad you like hummus now, in case I forgot to tell you before. It’s one of life’s simple pleasures. And green peppers taste AWESOME dipped in it.

Just saying.

Lori — August 18, 2010 @ 8:02 pm

dang girl! i’m going to have to try this!

Megan (Braise The Roof) — August 18, 2010 @ 8:11 pm

Hah, cannoli beans. (although she might be onto something there…)

And by the way, I think Stacy’s pita chips are designed specifically to cause anyone eating them to lose control of their willpower. It’s in their nature.

Shannon @ — August 18, 2010 @ 11:03 pm

I love the swirly pesto on top, super pretty.

As someone who regularly eats half a cup of homemade hummus with raw veg for dinner this looks like a winner to me!

Katherine — August 19, 2010 @ 4:14 am

hahaha, I have a funny story. One time, I made hummus for a potluck, and I was complaining that I didn’t (and still don’t) have a food processor. My friend turned to me and said, “Katherine, I thought you liked healthy food. Isn’t processed food bad for you?” I laughed a little and then told her a food processor is a machine that blends things and makes them the consistency of hummus. She turned to me and said, “Katherine, you know I don’t know what hummus is.” hahaha.

• Jessica — August 19th, 2010 @ 7:07 am

Hah! I literally LOL-ed at this one.

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries — August 19, 2010 @ 5:14 am

I want to dive into this bowl head first. My dad recently asked me “what hummus was made with anyway?”. So, clearly, I didn’t grow up with it either

Alisa - Frugal Foodie — August 19, 2010 @ 12:15 pm

This is seriously a fabulous sunding recipe. I can just taste the pesto and garlic against the bean texture. bookmarking!

Kat — August 19, 2010 @ 6:34 pm

That bean dip is gorgeous! I’ve always wanted to try a white bean dip that isn’t just garbanzos and this one might be love at first sight. I’d love to try it with other types of pesto as well. Thank you for sharing!

Samantha @ Food Edu — August 21, 2010 @ 4:45 pm

Im sure I’ve said this before-but I love your savory dishes best–the chicken dish from the last post looked to die for as well =)

Ingrid — August 21, 2010 @ 5:55 pm

Pesto and hummus! Winning combo!!

Lisa — August 21, 2010 @ 8:29 pm

Looks delicious, probably good for you too!

Alexa@Living La Vida Pura — August 22, 2010 @ 11:31 pm

My mom calls them cannoli beans too! The weird thing is that she’s actually a really good cook… but not big on the beans, I guess. Her cooking style is more like yours – super indulgent.

Ashleigh — August 23, 2010 @ 9:12 pm

This looks delicious in every possible way!

P.S. found your blog through Blue Eyed Bride!

MAYA+@+MAYA-+KITCHENETTE — February 27, 2015 @ 4:06 am

Jessica his two bean pesto dip is so lovely. I am loving it :)