Please excuse their ugliness.

Because they sure are delicious!

And don’t go getting too excited about the veggies… enchiladas are one way that I can choke them down. There is something about sauce, cheese and tortillas that makes them much more palatable.

As usual, I chose to use some La Tortilla Factory tortillas, because, well… I guess you could say I’m a La Tortilla “lady of the night.”

The best part? You can add whatever you want. Don’t ever feel pressured to follow the recipe. In fact, I never follow a recipe with enchiladas. I add whatever I have, whatever I want, and whatever I feel like at the moment.

And no, I have never added bacon to enchiladas. It just doesn’t… fit.

I know. I’m surprised too.

You can also add chicken, steak or pork to this mix, but you can find a traditional easy chicken enchilada mix in the enchilada lasagna recipe.

Enchiladas make my world go round.

This recipe is for 1-2 people (or in Mr. How Sweet’s case, 1/2 a person), but you can easily add more to create a big pan of enchiladas.  I never measure anything when I make them, so you can imagine the anxiety that writing down the recipe caused me.

If you make too much filling, pack it up, throw it in the fridge and use it for something delicious later in the week.

And by “use it for something delicious,” I really mean stand over the sink and eat it cold with a fork at midnight. It’s perfect.

Loaded Veggie Enchiladas

makes 3-4 enchiladas

4 whole wheat tortillas

1 tablespoon olive oil

1/4 green pepper, chopped

1/4 red pepper, chopped

1/4 sweet onion, chopped

1 medium yukon gold potato, chopped

1/4 cup chopped baby portobello mushrooms

1/4 cup chopped broccoli

1/3 cup black beans

1/4 cup refried beans

1 1/2 cups red enchilada sauce

1 cup shredded cheese (I used low-fat cheddar)

Preheat oven to 350.

Heat a skillet on medium heat and add olive oil. Add peppers, onions and potatoes, sprinkle with salt and saute until soft, about 6-8 minutes. Add in chopped mushrooms and broccoli, sauteing for another 5 minutes. Add black beans, refried beans and 3/4 cup enchilada sauce, mixing until combined and heating through.

Turn off heat and stir in 1/2 cup shredded cheese.

To assemble enchiladas, add about 1/3 cup mix into the center of a tortilla and roll tightly. Add to baking dish and repeat with tortillas and mix. Top with remaining enchilada sauce and cheese.

Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes.

I didn’t add meat to these, so Mr. How Sweet wouldn’t touch them with a 10-foot pole. That is my secret. If there is something I want all to myself… I just leave out the meat. More for me!

90 Responses to “Loaded Veggie Enchiladas.”

Tabitha (From Single to Married) — September 7, 2010 @ 4:02 am

oh man – enchiladas (and burritos) is one of my favorite foods – this looks amazing!

Gena — September 7, 2010 @ 4:05 am

Way to get psyched for veg, missy! They look BEAUTIFUL to me!

Katrina — September 7, 2010 @ 4:16 am

I absolutely love enchiladas! I’ve never had them with potato before, but it sounds like a really good ides. Mmm.

Lauren at KeepItSweet — September 7, 2010 @ 4:30 am

they look awesome! i wish i could find those tortillas more easily around me.

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — September 7, 2010 @ 4:30 am

I love enchiladas! All that cheese…yum! My husband and kids have surprisingly been really good about less meat on the menu. I am with you though…some things you just want for yourself!

Marisa @Loser for Life — September 7, 2010 @ 4:36 am

YUM! I made veggie enchiladas once, but they were not quite as pretty as yours! Tasy, though!! Thanks for the reminder to make these again!

Tina — September 7, 2010 @ 4:39 am

I MUST make these!! You posted them a day late for my grocery visit. :( There’s always next week though.

Morgan @ Healthy Happy Place — September 7, 2010 @ 4:41 am

yum! I made chicken enchiladas for the first time last week. I’ll be trying this recipe out next!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — September 7, 2010 @ 4:43 am

Those look mighty tasty!! I’ve never made enchiladas with flour tortillas before… don’t know why… need to try that soon!

Erica — September 7, 2010 @ 4:50 am

I am a veggie enchilada fanatic. And I totally love mixing up the stuffing. You can change it by whats in season or just what you’re craving. Extra jalapeno always gives it a nice kick too. Yours look fantastic!

Wei-Wei — September 7, 2010 @ 5:20 am

Look. At. That. CHEESE! Holy amazing.

Kylie @ A Hungry Spoon — September 7, 2010 @ 5:21 am

Yum! These look cheesy and incredible! I was craving Mexican food this weekend as well–we made grilled veggie and black bean quesadillas :)

Eunice — September 7, 2010 @ 5:27 am

Haha the bf won’t touch anything without meat either. I’m going to make them just as they are and stuff my face!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — September 7, 2010 @ 5:52 am

Nowwwwww you’re speaking my language. These look awesome!!!

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete — September 7, 2010 @ 5:55 am

These look fabulous! I love enchiladas — and La tortilla factory tortillas are the best!

Matt — September 7, 2010 @ 6:09 am

No bacon?

Heather — September 7, 2010 @ 6:13 am

Love this! And I have to say, some of my favorite meals have been eaten standing over the sink, cold and at midnight. Right on.

Naomi(oneFF) — September 7, 2010 @ 6:27 am

i have been CRAVNG cheese! this didnt help…

Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life) — September 7, 2010 @ 6:28 am

Love these!!

They seems pretty easy… which is right up my alley :)

YUM!

Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) — September 7, 2010 @ 6:33 am

These look great – I love enchiladas because the filling is so versatile! I always make dishes like these when I need to get rid of all of my leftover beans and veggies from the week!

Kara @ MyWellnest — September 7, 2010 @ 6:52 am

I’ve never made enchiladas (gasp). It seems so easy though, I’ll have to try these out!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — September 7, 2010 @ 7:01 am

You wrap anything in a tortilla and I am THERE

Kacy — September 7, 2010 @ 7:13 am

Mmmmm…. I love enchiladas. Will be making these.

Stephanie — September 7, 2010 @ 7:21 am

oh yummmmmy cheesy gooey enchis!!! i’ve never tried adding potato to them but i like the idea!

Camille — September 7, 2010 @ 7:23 am

The way the cheese melted looks absolutely luscious! I want some now!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — September 7, 2010 @ 7:40 am

i’m so glad i decided to do enchiladas now…these are INSANE!

TheHealthyApron — September 7, 2010 @ 8:10 am

I have been craving MExican all week! The only thing I would add is some guacamole!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jessica@tastyandtrim — September 7, 2010 @ 8:35 am

I was just talking about making enchiladas yesterday but didn’t know what recipe to make. This one looks like a winner, thanks! :)

Leah @ Why Deprive? — September 7, 2010 @ 8:44 am

I LOVE enchiladas! After seeing this, I dont want to eat anything that I have in my house right now. I may have to stop at the store on my way home. :)

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie — September 7, 2010 @ 8:45 am

Enchiladas make my world go ’round too!

Eliana — September 7, 2010 @ 8:56 am

I could eat anything with cheese, sauce and tortillas (even the veggies that I don’t like either). Anyway you could send me a batch of these for lunch like right now – I’m starving!

• Jessica — September 7th, 2010 @ 9:12 am

I would love to!

Courtney @ Bread & Bokeh — September 7, 2010 @ 9:17 am

My hubs loves enchiladas, but the kind at the restaurants here in El Paso are not the best for him! I am going to try making these for him one night…I just won’t tell him they are meatless. And, btw, I think these look delicious, not ugly at all!!!

Abby — September 7, 2010 @ 9:17 am

I’ve been telling Dave that I want to make enchiladas for us, but I have yet to do it. I’m starring this recipe and I WILL DO IT!

YUM!

Kim in MD — September 7, 2010 @ 9:46 am

Wow-those look scrumptious! I have been trying to find those tortillas since you started posting about them (with no luck). Where do you purchase them, Jessica? I found them on-line, but I somehow have tortillas shipped to me just doesn’t seem right (especially in this heat)! :-)

• Jessica — September 7th, 2010 @ 11:28 am

My grocery store has them! Actually, only one store in the chain around me has them, and sometimes they run out. I buy 2-3 packs at a time!

• Kim in MD — September 7th, 2010 @ 12:38 pm

Thanks, Jessica! I will just have to look harder! :-)

Alisa - Frugal Foodie — September 7, 2010 @ 9:48 am

I love how veggie loaded these are, seriously! I need to make something like this sans cheese for our household :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — September 7, 2010 @ 9:54 am

the filling on those looks sooo good! not something i would ever just decide to whip up on my own but something that looks amazing!!!

Melanie — September 7, 2010 @ 10:00 am

Not ugly at all! Those look incredible!

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) — September 7, 2010 @ 10:04 am

“La Tortilla Factory lady of the night” LOL! Love it.

I love enchiladas but never add veggies to mine. I just might have to do this!

Ellen@FirednFabulous — September 7, 2010 @ 10:13 am

I see no ugliness here! Cheesy enchiladas are one beautiful sight. Mmm!

Kate @ Cozydelicious — September 7, 2010 @ 10:15 am

I love enchiladas! And I’m so impressed that you snuck in so many veggies! I might even get my husband to eat broccoli this way…

Lauren — September 7, 2010 @ 10:26 am

Gorgeous enchiladas… look at that gooey cheese! Yum.

Blond Duck — September 7, 2010 @ 10:27 am

One of my favorite things in the world is chicken and spinach enchiladas.

Jenna — September 7, 2010 @ 11:04 am

What a fantastic way to get in a load of veggies! Anything that is smothered in sauce, wrapped in carbs and topped with cheese is a sure win in my book!

McKella — September 7, 2010 @ 11:29 am

I’ve sure put bacon in enchiladas. Breakfast enchiladas. They’re delicious, you just wrap up bacon or ham, onions, and cheese and dump and egg/milk mixture over the top and smother it in cheese.

• Jessica — September 7th, 2010 @ 11:53 am

Okay. You are my new favorite person. Thank you!

Dana — September 7, 2010 @ 11:46 am

They don’t look ugly to me! They look perfectly gooey, cheesey and delicious :)

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com — September 7, 2010 @ 12:20 pm

no way can you call them ugly!! are u serious!! if i could jump into that pan and just lounge out there for the day, it would be my dream come true. ur enchiladas are BRILLIANT

xoxo love

Joe @ Eden Kitchen — September 7, 2010 @ 12:42 pm

They are definitely not ugly, but I know it’s hard to photograph enchiladas… I tried and failed a few months back…

Jenna — September 7, 2010 @ 1:02 pm

Um, there is no ‘ugliness’ happening there! It looks delicious. =)

homecookedem — September 7, 2010 @ 1:42 pm

I love making enchiladas at home!! It’s one of the few things I can cook for us and not mess up, haha! ;)

Katie (Sweets and Veggies) — September 7, 2010 @ 1:54 pm

The enchiladas look delicious! I’m so glad I found your blog! My recipe book is filling up with lots of your recipes! Keep it up girl!

1. Pingback: BBQ Chicken Enchiladas. | How Sweet It Is